advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Bought a MkII Cadet and pre recently. Came with a Garrard HF4 deck which I don't really need, may sell it on. I expect you already have one Adam?

Naim CDi reasonably recently serviced by WitchHat turned up on a well known auction site. I thought my Pioneer stable platter transport into a Soncoz SGD1 was a very nice CDP/DAC combo, and it is, but there is something about the CDi. Perhaps it is the top loading with puck, or the 1541 "magic" or that it is the correct shade of Olive ... Not as refined as the CDP/DAC combo, however I believe the Naim fanboi collective would suggest it has "more boogie", I am sure I don't know what they are talking about, but it does have me listening to more CDs and enjoying them more, which has to be good?

There's been a bit of an influx recently, but the absolutely last were (as in the day before yesterday) were a

1) Mutec M3+ USB reclocker/wordclock etc.
2) Topping DX7 Pro DAC/Pre/Headphone amp

Lyra Kleos SL is due in next week after roughly a 4 month wait. Should be a perfect match with my Parasound JC3 which has 72db of gain which is a titch too much for the Delos.

The Delos is crazy good definitely looking forward to hearing the Kleos SL.
Wow, looks very, very nice, am sure it will have been worth the wait!

new entry level Linn LP12 / Karousel with Mose power supply, AT-VM540ml and a Basik plus arm - I figured get the deck and PSU first and can look at the arm later if needed. Cart just run in nicely now and sounding lovely.

I keep looking at the LP12 and thinking I really must give it a go some time, I supposes it the hifi equivalent of the comment my mates give me about you can't call yourself a car enthusiast unless you owned an Alfa Romeo at some point in your car history.....

My Naim Uniti Star, earlier this year, and already I'm wondering if I can improve it. I expect it would be costly, though, so it'll stay as it is.
But perhaps an upgrade from modded RP3 to P8/RP8.

My Naim Uniti Star, earlier this year, and already I'm wondering if I can improve it. I expect it would be costly, though, so it'll stay as it is.
But perhaps an upgrade from modded RP3 to P8/RP8.
Try the P6 as well, see my earlier post…

Just received my 2 meter long Cardas interconnect cables I ordered from Ali Express 2 months ago.
Payed $57.00 CDN, written made in USA on it, shipped from Singapore...........go figure !
Anyway, very high quality, robust and sounds right to my ears.

Michell Gyrodec SE with Technoarm.

Well strictly speaking it was a 3.5mm jack to 5 pin DIN interconnect but I don't think that really counts!

Tell me more! Trying out a few headphones this year, could be interested in adding those to the list.

I have only had them a few days, so I can only give you a preliminary view. They are very detailed and precise with good sound stage and instrument separation. Voices are especially clear, and previously unknown details are revealed, so as to convey a good sense of being present at the performance. Treble is very extended but refined and detailed. Bass is also extended and precise with none of the over emphasis one often encounters in lesser headphones.

When I first listened to them, the treble seemed to be over emphasised, as if there was a lift of a few dB at the very top end, and the sound was at little tight. This disappeared rapidly with a little use. I think that there might still a little lift in the very top end, but it is not at all harsh and if anything adds a sense of airiness and fine detail.

As I said, its early days still though.

I have only had them a few days, so I can only give you a preliminary view. They are very detailed and precise with good sound stage and instrument separation. Voices are especially clear, and previously unknown details are revealed, so as to convey a good sense of being present at the performance. Treble is very extended but refined and detailed. Bass is also extended and precise with none of the over emphasis one often encounters in lesser headphones.

When I first listened to them, the treble seemed to be over emphasised, as if there was a lift of a few dB at the very top end, and the sound was at little tight. This disappeared rapidly with a little use. I think that there might still a little lift in the very top end, but it is not at all harsh and if anything adds a sense of airiness and fine detail.

As I said, its early days still though.

Nice, will add them to the audition list.

advertisement

Back