• Thorens

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Vertere

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 116 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was the WT Reference, the one with the Corian plinth that Bill Firebaugh disowned for being over-engineered and bling. The Amadeus sounded better.

That doesn’t surprise me. It is no secret I’m no fan of mass for mass sake in either turntables or speakers, though I still found the basic design concepts interesting and innovative. I respect original thought and there is a lot in any WT.

That doesn’t surprise me. It is no secret I’m no fan of mass for mass sake in either turntables or speakers, though I still found the basic design concepts interesting and innovative. I respect original thought and there is a lot in any WT.
The mass on the WT tables is in the right place….the platter. The Simplex plinth is very light and the arm tube would probably float in to the air if it wasn’t tied down…..but the important thing is that it doesn’t resonate, and there’s effectively no arm bearing . Ingenious!

Platter bearing is also ingenious

I have a first edition Holbo air-bearing linear tracker. I like it a lot, and was initially struck by its overall simplicity and looks for this type of table. That it sounds so good is just icing on the cake. I like that it doesn't look like some off-shore drilling rig too. Fairly easy to set up, and the air pump is silent. Nice.

If I was to change things up, it would probably be a Well Tempered table. I have always liked them.

I've a Philips 308, I bought in Comet in Stockport in 1972.
The mechanics are simple. You can alter the cartridge weight and bias.

With a vintage Shure M75 ED, cartridge, my 1970s Leak 2000 tuner amp and the Goodman's Havant speakers I bought the same time as the turntable, it sounds good enough for me. I did change the belt a decade or so ago.

IMG-0667.jpg

IMG-1096.jpg

My turntables…

Inspire Monarch 2.1 with an Inspire X200 Mk.III 12" Tonearm. This was Mr Inspire's own turntable, got a superb deal from him, inc. an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze (new).

FONS CQ 30 International ...Bought in 1976/77 ?, cost £1 more than a Linn Sondek but sounded ( and still does sound ) many £££££S more than a Sondek... Been in a cupboard for around 35 years. Complete with Rega RB300 + Origin Live structural upgrade + external and internal rewire (done over the last 3/4 years).
Just finished refurb, waiting for a new belt, then back on the plinth...:cool:

This thread is making me feel better, I've only got 6 or 7, in various states of workingness. And one of them is this one, my pride and joy, which Mike P of this parish has just beautifully restored. Some amazing tables in this thread so far.

Two, Neither get much use.
The SME 20/2a is on the rack, the Sony TTS3000 with 12 inch Ittok has been in the cupboard since well before the pandemic

advertisement

Back