• Thorens

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Vertere

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 116 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, that detailed response is very much appreciated! I will see if I can stretch my budget and try to find an older Planar 3.
Don't worry about it if you can't find one. The P1 is still a really enjoyable record player. Also keep an eye out for the NAD turntables which were made by Rega. Thicker plinth, MDF platter and RB250. Sound fine and used to cost a good bit less than the Rega equivalent but word is out.

Don't worry about it if you can't find one. The P1 is still a really enjoyable record player. Also keep an eye out for the NAD turntables which were made by Rega. Thicker plinth, MDF platter and RB250. Sound fine and used to cost a good bit less than the Rega equivalent but word is out.
Haha, great! Will add it to the list.

I started out with Dual 504 then went onto a Thorens 160S.
Gave it to a friend who changed out the motor and made a beautiful bottom piece for it.
It is in the best shape it has even been in.

Recently had some work done on my Roksan Xerxes and am expecting to be able to use my Vetere power supply as soon as my cable link comes back from Vetere.

11 pages and no-one has a Roksan deck. I have a Roksan Radius 5 and it sounds really, really nice with Ortofon MC cartridge. Having said that it's probably the one part of my system that I'd consider swapping something else for.

The Xerxes used to be quite common amongst the people who frequent this site I thought.

PF005.jpg

I was to late to vote, but
Trio L-O7D Direct Drive owned from new in 1981. This replaced a
Linn LP12 Sondek LP12 that replaced a
Transcriptors Reference with SME 3009 arm that replaced a
early Goldring GL75 that replace a Garrard SP25 MK2 that was my first Turntable

Last edited:
I've got too many turntables. They are too easy to acquire and I can't help myself. I have a bizarre need to have owned all of the classics so they are always coming and going here.

TW Acustic Raven AC3 loaded with all the tonearms - I've had this over 10 years now and its the absolute undisputed heavyweight champion. With me for the long haul.

Thorens TD124 mk1 - recently restored by me. A lovely thing and not that far behind the Raven.

Townshend Rock / Excalibur / Merlin - This was a shock to the system - far better than I imagined it would be. They require a bit of fettling at this age but they are superb sounding turntables and a hugely overlooked bargain.

LP12's - loads of them. They are somewhat of an obsession...

Thorens TD166 and a TD150 is various states of restoration or disrepair.

I can't tell you precisely how many turntables I've owned but off the top of my head the ones that came and went so far are almost all the Pink Triangles, Voyd, Gyrodeck, Clearaudio, Technics, Revox, countless Linn's, umpteen Rega's, and loads of Thorens and Lenco's.

11 pages and no-one has a Roksan deck. I have a Roksan Radius 5 and it sounds really, really nice with Ortofon MC cartridge. Having said that it's probably the one part of my system that I'd consider swapping something else for.

The Xerxes used to be quite common amongst the people who frequent this site I thought.
The original is excellent and a bargain second hand. I just think the lid is a bit naff and that puts people off :) I made mine ‘skeletal’ by taking off the sides and it looks quite good….

Main hifi

Technics SL1200mk2 with OL armboard, Rega RB300, some kind of underslung counterweight (might be another OL item) and Denon DL103R, oh and OL Achromat 1200...

Bedroom

Two Technics SL1210mk2 (stock except LED target light mod), perspex 'slipmats' and Reloop cartridges

Numark PT01 Scratch portable (78 :))

Nice, A friend has one with an Ekos II & Akiva. He rates it highly, Which is surprising given his almost religious appreciation of the LP12!
I had one (Excalibur and Merlin) for a short while. It did sound lovely (and not in the way I expected from its ‘engineering-ness’). But it was poorly made and fell to bits all too quickly.

I would like to try another one in better condition though.

I was running a self built kind of LP12/TD-150 hybrid recently replaced by a Nottingham Hyperspace, not sure what to do with the other one now, maybe an excuse to somehow shoehorn in a second system!

advertisement

Back