• Thorens

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Vertere

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 116 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
An equally intereting thread might be "what turntable have you not (yet) heard or owned that you would really like to."

I’d like to hear the top-level Rega just to see where they have got with their low-mass thinking since the P9 (I used to own one). That’s just curiosity though. I’m firmly in the idler camp now and really the EMT 930 or 927 is the only stop left on the journey, and even then I’d not really want to be locked-in arm-wise so it doesn’t appeal as much as one might think.

I‘m pretty sure I‘m done. I’ve owned or heard pretty much everything that interests me. There is very little original thinking in turntable design IMHO, hence my citing Rega as really no one else has done anything new this century.

just thought it would be nice to show off LP12 with black Ittok 😂
note optional shrunken mat.
Looks like my old LP12 although mine had a standard mat. Black Ittoks seem quite rare, but I didn't realise until I sold mine on eBay and the bidding went silly.

Anyway after 25 years with an LP12 I now use a Michell Gyrorbe... is it better than the Linn? I don't really know... I like the sound it makes and have no upgraditus with it so perhaps it just suits me better.

Also realise I am in a minority only owning one turntable... lightweight that I am.

I’d like to hear the top-level Rega just to see where they have got with their low-mass thinking since the P9 (I used to own one). That’s just curiosity though. I’m firmly in the idler camp now and really the EMT 930 or 927 is the only stop left on the journey, and even then I’d not really want to be locked-in arm-wise so it doesn’t appeal as much as one might think.

I‘m pretty sure I‘m done. I’ve owned or heard pretty much everything that interests me. There is very little original thinking in turntable design IMHO, hence my citing Rega as really no one else has done anything new this century.
Probably a silly question, but have you heard the modern Well Tempered decks? ( Simplex2, Versalex etc) . Plenty of original thinking there and they sound pretty different to anything else I’ve heard ( although I’ve never knowingly heard an idler)

On dear... I still have seventeen, although six of them are either sets of parts, or need some work to finish their builds- not that that makes it any better!

Presently two Brinkmanns- a Bardo and a La Grange- two Linns, a Roksan Xerxes 10, a Salvation/ T3, a TD124, two TD150s, two Systemdek IIIs, a renovated Townshend Rock 2/ Excalibur (thanks Matt!), a Rega P8, a set of parts to build another bitza Rega, including a Delrin platter and a 24v motor, a modified and renovated Lenco L75 (thanks Ant!), a Technics SL1210GR, and a rebuilt SP10 Mk2 (thanks Angus!).

Tonearms not already mentioned with decks include an 80s SME V, two Supatrac Blackbirds, a (Bicht) Mission 774, a Signet XK50 (AT1100), three Hadcock GH228s in various states of completeness, an SME3009 II pre-Improved (the partner for the TD124), another T3, made in Russia, one of Chris Green's unipivots, a Jelco SA750D an Iskonetik SA750E, and an Air Prodigy. I think that's it! Quite a few cartridges too, but I'm not even getting into that...

A couple of the decks are already spoken for: The La Grange and one of the Linns, but most of rest will be sold over the next few months ahead of a move next year. My lovely wife, who likes playing records, hates additional 'faff', so non-optional clamps, the Rock's trough and parallel-tracking arms are likely to seal the fate of any deck that uses them!

Unless one of the others surprises me along the way, the intention is to get down to two or three of the rebuilt decks, the Bardo, either the remaining Linn or the Roksan, and the '1210GR, for extended comparisons. I doubt I'll get down to less than three in the end!

The only decks I haven't owned that I'd still be interested to hear and use at home are the various Well-Tempered Turntables, the Nottinghams- probably the Ace Spacedeck- and the Garrard 401. The only separate arms I intend to keep are the Supatracs and probably the '750E.

Last edited:
Probably a silly question, but have you heard the modern Well Tempered decks? ( Simplex2, Versalex etc) . Plenty of original thinking there and they sound pretty different to anything else I’ve heard ( although I’ve never knowingly heard an idler)

I’ve not heard one for a very, very long time. In fact the last one was the (sadly missed) Jason Hector’s back about 25 years ago. It was whatever was the range-topper of the time. I’ve a lot of respect for Well Tempered. They actually seem to understand the forces and frequencies in play. Very, very clever design both in arm and main bearing IMHO.

I’ve not heard one for a very, very long time. In fact the last one was the (sadly missed) Jason Hector’s back about 25 years ago. It was whatever was the range-topper of the time. I’ve a lot of respect for Well Tempered. They actually seem to understand the forces and frequencies in play. Very, very clever design both in arm and main bearing IMHO.
Thanks

The modern ones are fairly different from the “classic “ designs,I believe

Looks like my old LP12 although mine had a standard mat. Black Ittoks seem quite rare, bit I didn't realise until I sold mine on eBay and the bidding went silly.

Anyway after 25 years with an LP12 I now use a Michell Gyrorbe... is it better than the Linn? I don't really know... I like the sound it makes and have no upgraditus with it so perhaps it just suits me better.

Also realise I am in a minority only owning one turntable... lightweight that I am.
It is a standard Linn mat (part of service by Cymbiosis several years ago), just the mat shrunk quite quickly. Started off going oval, then settled in its current size/shape.

I could not vote for this twice. this J A Michell badged Hydraulic Reference was actually made by Transcriptors prior to David Gammon Et all. moving to Carlow South East Ireland, leaving John Michell at the Borehamwood premises along with a few turntables in various build states. This one has the original 3 adjustable round feet, the sweep brush is badged J A Michell, the stylus brush is badged Transcriptors.

I have owned it from new since 1973. It is now fitted with a Hadcock GH242 Silver Plus arm & Hana ML cartridge.

turntable.jpg

Well Tempered Simplex mk1 from new, about 7 or 8 years now! No interest to change, other than maybe selling all my vinyl one day, when the time comes!

Nottingham Analogue Space Deck, Linn LP12, VPI HW19, Lenco L75 x2, basket case Pink Triangle Mk1.

The Spacedeck and the VPI are are by far the best.

It was the WT Reference, the one with the Corian plinth that Bill Firebaugh disowned for being over-engineered and bling. The Amadeus sounded better.

I could not vote for this twice. this J A Michell badged Hydraulic Reference was actually made by Transcriptors prior to David Gammon Et all. moving to Carlow South East Ireland, leaving John Michell at the Borehamwood premises along with a few turntables in various build states. This one has the original 3 adjustable round feet, the sweep brush is badged J A Michell, the stylus brush is badged Transcriptors.

I have owned it from new since 1973. It is now fitted with a Hadcock GH242 Silver Plus arm & Hana ML cartridge.

turntable.jpg

Setting VTF on the Hydraulic Reference turntable above accurately is an interesting endeavour, due to the 6 large gold platter weights on the plater surface, it involves a spacer, on which sit the digital stylus scale there is a small depression with a spot in a circle where the stylus/tracking weight is calculated, after 51 years of use initially with an SME mechanical scale. I use a digital Vernier gauge to ensure the depression & thereby the dot on the digital scale is record surface height, at the recommended 2 grams tracking force (VTF) the very slight movement of the scale plate means the dot height is close to grove depth.

Linn LP12, many years. Recently acquired a Garrard 401 (off here @Whaleblue) to scratch an itch and looking forward to setting it up and seeing if as good as many say. Still have my first decent turntable technics SL-7 from 1981 although away being attended to.

advertisement

Back