advertisement

What no cricket thread ?

Not going at all well against Pakistan , they are so much better than West Indies , great batsmen and bowlers , I think a thrashing of England looks likely .
England have not played well so far for a consistent period , At one point I was thinking Pakistan will get 500 , follow on looking very likely

At the last test the Sky presenters were saying Stokes was the best cricketer in the world at present, think again................

England do not look like the team they were a few years ago, something seems to have gone out their game.

Stokes has wonderful natural talent but he will be 30 next year. I doubt he is professional enough in terms of diet, training etc to maintain 'best cricketer in the world' level as he gets older. I hope he proves me wrong.

They should be able to get 34 from six wickets shouldn`t they?

Leach seemed to be promising but I guess they went with the successful team from the last match.

Pakistan showing England what a weak side the West Indies were. Some bad tactical errors there throughout the first innings, especially Root bowling himself before the new ball

Stokes has wonderful natural talent but he will be 30 next year. I doubt he is professional enough in terms of diet, training etc to maintain 'best cricketer in the world' level as he gets older. I hope he proves me wrong.
You have no real evidence re his diet & professionalism? He has been a bit of an idiot but he is a dedicated sportsman. He will be England’s best ever all rounder & 30 is comparatively young.

He has one duck & you doubt his credentials? Really?

He has one duck & you doubt his credentials? Really?

It's ok - some of our England cricket supporters are fickle... plenty of previous evidence on here to support that. Just think how good we'd be if we got behind our team - and that includes our press.

It's ok - some of our England cricket supporters are fickle... plenty of previous evidence on here to support that. Just think how good we'd be if we got behind our team - and that includes our press.
If you look at Stokes’s stats over the last 3 years or so they are pretty astonishing.

I mean, let’s forget his amazing performances in the ashes last year, the match winning contributions against the windies, the fact we are on day one of a test match etc, etc

If you look at Stokes’s stats over the last 3 years or so they are pretty astonishing.

I mean, let’s forget his amazing performances in the ashes last year, the match winning contributions against the windies, the fact we are on day one of a test match etc, etc

Hi,

This is exactly the issue, over the last three years Stokes was good but he is a hit or a miss, we all remember the good times but he has not been consistent in a way that some of the great players over the years have been, you cannot ask him to pull you out the mire again and again.

Root was amazing a few years ago now, what is Root like now, a shadow of his former self and I think Stokes is heading that way either through injury or not consistent playing.

I accept it is only the first few days, but read Michael Vaughan's take on things and he should know a few things about cricket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53687296

Cheers

John

Hi,

This is exactly the issue, over the last three years Stokes was good but he is a hit or a miss, we all remember the good times but he has not been consistent in a way that some of the great players over the years have been, you cannot ask him to pull you out the mire again and again.

Root was amazing a few years ago now, what is Root like now, a shadow of his former self and I think Stokes is heading that way either through injury or not consistent playing.

I accept it is only the first few days, but read Michael Vaughan's take on things and he should know a few things about cricket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53687296

Cheers

John
He’s averaged over 50 in the last two years! He has averaged 70 in the 10 matches he has taken part in this year.

Top tip, don’t quote Michael Vaughan views as evidence, he is a complete moron, he’s only interested in controversy.

His batting average is higher than Botham’s but he will not get the same amount of wickets.

If you look at his career he has been pretty consistent. All players have the odd bad season.

http://www.cricmetric.com/playerstats.py?player=BA Stokes&role=batsman

It was really good that we may now have some decent openers who are prepared to play the Boycott game but then still have the talent to make some runs when the situation allows .
bet you wish you hadn't written that now :)
I'm not going to be able to watch the next ashes series iif this is the state of our test side. Bowling excellent, fielding good, captaincy, hmmmm, batting outside one day?
Erm.

People have short memories, England under Atherton was rather grim.

This Pakistani side are rather good, their attack is better than ours, certainly more variety.

We missed key chances in their first innings.

Yes, without Butler‘S contribution with the gloves, England probably would have had a small first innings lead.

To be fair they've needed to have isolated test and ODI teams, but Bairstow has to be the first choice. Buttler just doesn't cut the mustard as a test player

To be fair they've needed to have isolated test and ODI teams, but Bairstow has to be the first choice. Buttler just doesn't cut the mustard as a test player
Bairstow is no better but they have Faulkes in the ‘bubble’. Probably not much in it either way.

advertisement

Back