advertisement

What is your current system? part II

That looks fabulous Lefty - the Lab and Densen look made for eachother (and I'll bet they don't sound too shabby either) ;)

My stuff as of 01/01/08...

NAS Spacedeck, Heavy Kit, Spacearm, Lyra Dorian
Noteworthy Audio Stepnote Step-up tranny, Puresound P10 phonostage
hot-rodded Puresound A30
CA 840C
Slee Solo/psu1 phones amp
Mission 760 speakers - for the time being
Atlas cables throughout & Chord Powercords.

System21small.jpg

PSA3014small.jpg

Cheers Gromit :)

Seeing that lovely NAS in your setup has re-ignited my desire for a 'serious' vinyl front end. Not that the 1210 sounds bad, far from it. I've just got that bug again and am starting to wonder how much better it could sound. Specifically, good as the DL-110 is, I can't help but feel it's dynamically a bit laid back. Hopefully my soon to arrive DV 10x5 will put that right.

I'm also really intrigued by the P10. I'll have to get a listen to one some day...

Lefty

Cheers Gromit :)

Seeing that lovely NAS in your setup has re-ignited my desire for a 'serious' vinyl front end. Not that the 1210 sounds bad, far from it. I've just got that bug again and am starting to wonder how much better it could sound. Specifically, good as the DL-110 is, I can't help but feel it's dynamically a bit laid back. Hopefully my soon to arrive DV 10x5 will put that right.

I'm also really intrigued by the P10. I'll have to get a listen to one some day...

Lefty

If you're prepared to wait a month or 3, there may be a nice Spacedeck (with all the trimmings) up for sale soon. ;)

I'm considering moving on - but not until I'm absolutely sure I want to. :)

The P10's awesome - it's definitely better than the P75 (itself hardly shabby). I really cannot fault it - its sound has body, great solidity and is just so full of life. Playing the Planar 3/DL110 through it had me grinning like a twit. :)

400 quid? They're avin' a larf. :D

If you're prepared to wait a month or 3, there may be a nice Spacedeck (with all the trimmings) up for sale soon. ;)

I'm considering moving on - but not until I'm absolutely sure I want to. :)

The P10's awesome - it's definitely better than the P75 (itself hardly shabby). I really cannot fault it - its sound has body, great solidity and is just so full of life. Playing the Planar 3/DL110 through it had me grinning like a twit. :)

400 quid? They're avin' a larf. :D

Glowing review of the P10 in Feb Hi-Fi World. Very honest considering it runs head to head with their own WD stage and for less money.

Mission 760s - remember those - they can really sing with a good signal so should be on form with the NA up front.

Mission 760s - remember those - they can really sing with a good signal so should be on form with the NA up front.

You're absolutely right Rob - mine have recently been rescused from the indignity of being used on the minisystem* in the bedroom. Once one's ear gets over the slight 'playing down a tube' colouration (ie after the first hour or so) they really sing very nicely. Enough to enjoy what's going on anyway - and they work a treat in my room. Front ported (or none at all) is I think the way to go for me.

I did give the R1's a try but as you said, they sound a bit thin even in my room (which tends to 'overblow' speakers). Great fun though. Genuine 'smile-raising' speakers.

*It's not an Aurex unfortunately :(

Hi All

To start this new year I am posting my actual system:

Meridian 101 (Pre + Power amp + PSU + radio) (Stock version)

Ariston RD 80 with SME 3009 (light version) and a Benz Micro Ace (medium output). Cables are VDH

Marantz CD 53 SE highly modded by myself (Thanks Ray, Brent, Simon, André, Mathieu, Glenn and all others that contributed to this modding). Cables are Nordost flat.

The speakers are modded B&O with special internal treatment, cabling, bass drivers and output plugs. Cables by Kimber.

Hope someone is interested.

Some serious retro-edge imho. Welcome to pfm!

d

Current system

Xerxes/Tabriz/MC25FL/Whest II/Target WS
Avondale Alpha 5
Squeezebox/Benchmark DAC1
NAC102/Hi-cap/NAP140
Neat Elite SE
Quadraspire Reference

Well balanced IMO and plays all formats well, streamed music mainly apple lossless BTW.

An update at the start of the year:

Squeezebox 3
Derek Shek "Blackbox" NOS DAC (predecessor of the current D1 model)
Yamaha CRX-M170 used as a DAB/FM tuner

Primare I21 integrated amplifier

Shahinian Compass loudspeakers with HNE granite plinths

Canare, Flashback, Kimber and Avondale cables
Olson Sound Fantastic power strip
IKEA Corras used as a stand

Infrant (now Netgear) ReadyNAS X6 storing the music files and running SlimServer (in another room).

I'm toying with the idea of experimenting with a Bel Canto S300i instead of the Primare if I can find a cheapish one secondhand...

Cheers,
Simon

Current system:

Exposure CD player
Exposure 21 pre-amp
2x Exposure 18 monoblocks
Ruark Talisman 2 speakers

All sitting on a Stands Unique Sound Tower 10

Cables:
Chord Chorus 1 interconnect
Exposure XLR
Russ Andrews Reference power cable with 320i Wattgate (powering CD player)
Chord Epic Twin speaker cable
Chord Signature jumper cables

Sony KLV-L32MRX1 32" LCD TV
Yamaha YSP-1 digital sound projector
REL Q150E subwoofer
QED QUNEX SR-SW subwoofer cable

Future upgrades:
2x Russ Andrews 6-way mains blocks
IEC sockets fitted to CDP, pre-amp & mono's

So I have finally gotten around to posting my system up on the board.

here it is.......... left side Spectral transport and DAC
middle Clearaudio turntable
right side Spectral pre and power

and the speakers are Dynaudio audience 52

Study.jpg

CD is AVI MC2000.
Pre - Rotel Michi RHA-10
Power - tweaked Quad 405, taken as far as possible without going dual mono. It's the best power amp Ive heard.
Spk - QLN Prestige 3 way, external X over.
An Aldi internet radio :) that sounds as good as most SS tuners and picks up 8000 stations :-D
Vinyl is under review - current is a Thorens 125/SME 3009/AT OC5/Trichord Dino. Loaned to a pal is an LP12 Lingo/Cirkus/Ittok/Goldring 1042, coming soon is a Bastin-serviced Garrard 401/Notts Analogue Omega Point (unipivot) in a rather basic homemede plinth that I fully expect to take every other LP spinner I own outside, give it a proper kicking and nick its dinner money. :-D

Pink triangle original [ origin live motor upgrade]
rega 300 arm [ rewired and new stub end --- huge difference]
sumiko blue point special
music fidelity xlp phone stage
copland csa 8 amp
astin trew 3500 cd player [ a bit better than previous copland cda277 cd player]
living voice avatars
qed silver speaker leads

suggestions re improvements would be welcomed

Mark, think I've just done a sex wee looking at your Clearuaudio! Looks stunning mate :D

Lefty

Main System:
Esoteric X-03SE player
Nottingham AceSpacedeck / RB250 / Ortofon Rondo Red
--> soon to be upgraded to SME IV - Koetsu Black
Trichord Dino Phono stage (Aesthetix Rhea some day???)
Audible Illusions L1 valve preamp
MF A5 Power Amp
Kudos Cardea C20 floorstanders (walnut)
Nordost Red Dawn II Interconnect / Speaker Cables

Pioneer 428XD plasma
Marantz SR5400OSE
Denon 2900 Universal Player
Virgin V+ box
Humax 5300 Satbox
Xbox 360 HDMI
Quad 11L centre & rears (maple)
REL Stampede sub (walnut)

Bedroom System:
Squeezebox 3
MF X10-D
MF X-A1
Quad 11L speakers (piano black)
vdh interconnects / QED speaker cable

Kef Model 2.2
Exposure 11 12 and a Super 8
Red Dawn between pre power and cd
Inca Katana
Sound Org Rack
Isotek ELite to CD
PS3 with an RA Ref powercord
Sony HD for Music and Pictures

LP12/aro/argo/lingo1
modified CD3.5 + hicap
modified NAC72 + 821's + 323MC boards
modified hicap
modified NAP140 monoblocs
modified B&W P4's
all Naim cables (modified)
Quadraspire reference rack
dedicated spur

coming soon - ALWSR's, Avondale phono boards & minicaps

Main:
Origin Live Aurora Gold TT/Encounter Arm/Dynavector 10x5/Graham Slee Era Gold Mk 5
Esoteric UX-1
Exposure 14/9/2 x 16 Monos
Neat Ultimatum MF7 with bi-wired Chord Signature
Chord Indigo I/Cs

Attic system:
Linn LP12/Lingo 1/Linto/Ekos 2/Arkiv 2
Micromega Classic Solo
Exposure 23/28
Linn Isobariks with Exposure cable

Other place:
Densen B400 plus
Densen B100 Mk5
Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk 1 with AE1 stands, Chord Epac cable

Main system used every day I'm home, attic system barely gets a look in, so likely to be on sale soon.

TW Acustic Raven One
Vivid Two arm
ZYX R50 Bloom

JC Verdier Control-B active
Leak Stereo 20
Castle Chesters
PHY-HP interconnects

Wish list would include a Tron Seven Phono and Line instead of the Verdier, and a Tron 300B amp, but unless I start playing the lottery those dreams will remain dreams. Well pleased with what I've got already!

advertisement

Back