advertisement

What is 'Super ARAY conductor geometry' when it's at home?

I would also add that the accusation of being a troll could just as easily be made of those starting, notoriously contentious, cable threads as to those responding to them.

The original question was simply “what is Super ARAY conductor geometry”. This seems like a perfectly reasonable question. Fair play to you for actually having a stab at answering the question.

Indeed. Ethernet tends to work with surprisingly bad cables as long as they are twisted pair. You might not get gigabit speeds....

Ethernet cables do not need to use twisted pairs either. Coaxial construction actually provides better noise rejection. Coaxial construction also costs more and leads to less flexible cables, all other things being equal.

The Ethernet cable standard for cat5 and above is twisted pair, if it ain't twisted it ain't ethernet, its ethernet over coax. Let's not confuse people by nit picking between the functional and physical interface.

The Ethernet cable standard for cat5 and above is twisted pair, if it ain't twisted it ain't ethernet, its ethernet over coax. Let's not confuse people by nit picking between the functional and physical interface.

No. The Cat5 standard dictates twisted pair construction. Ethernet does not care. Apologies if that qualifies as nit picking.

As with all these ideas, Chord are not the only proponents of this ‘technology’ and Walker Audio have a similar concept, though different implementation, with their;
Eliminator Directional Antennae

https://walkeraudio.com/?product=eliminator-directional-antennae

Now I can certainly see how adding antennae to ones HiFi may have an audible effect - I just struggle with how it could be a good effect/idea.
Hi,
Thanks for this - the entire site of products was an enthralling read. They have words such as quantum and nano, which means the products are cutting edge.

I recommend that everyone visits the site. You will not be disappointed.

Regards,
Shadders.

The original question was simply “what is Super ARAY conductor geometry”. This seems like a perfectly reasonable question. Fair play to you for actually having a stab at answering the question.

I don’t personally think anyone is being a ‘troll’, my point is just that the posting of contentious topics can be construed as just as divisive as the subsequent responses.

I have some of Chord's c-stream ethernet cable. It works fine and there is even a 'black dot' at one end which is supposed to go nearer the source component i.e. the cable is directional to improve sound. Personally I'd have thought that the 1s and 0s either arrive at their destination or don't (I've never had a partially delivered Excel spreadsheet on my laptop for example) but 'life's too short' and so I have fitted them as Chord suggests...at least I can 'rest easy' that I have followed the manufacturer's instructions!

Well you see what happens when retail gets involved.

Ethernet is perfect, audible differences between working, on spec, ethernet cables do not exist.

Ethernet cables don’t not have to meet Cat5e standards. Cat5e cables have to meet Cat5e standards.

Sorry, I've been a bit clumsy there. What I was trying to get across rather better than that is that a certain specification cable (Cat5e in this example) is made to certain repeatable, reliable standards that can be depended upon. A hand-made audio cable may well not be and if it's terminated by hand probably doesn't have the same consistency. In fairness the bandwidth for audio alone isn't that great so it probably doesn't matter. As for sound quality claims, I'm not convinced at all.

I assume jimdog is the same as on the naim forum, that place seems to have got to the point of believing anything, and JimDog is looking for people that believe ethernet cables makes a difference, so I am not sure the point of moaning over here that people don't agree with him, perhaps stick with the naim forum?

Sorry if it's not the same person.

I've never a digital cable on-spec, make a difference. Sure I've heard 120 and 50 ohm spdif cables sound marginally wrong, but never ethernet or usb make any difference.

People can and will believe whatever they want.

Surely this should be easy for the OP to establish. They could simply ask The Chord Company what the words "Super ARAY Conductor Geometry" refer to, and the company’s answer to the question would either be plausible or not.

Unless of course finding out the truth of the matter wasn't the real object of the thread ...

I have some of Chord's c-stream ethernet cable. It works fine and there is even a 'black dot' at one end which is supposed to go nearer the source component i.e. the cable is directional to improve sound. Personally I'd have thought that the 1s and 0s either arrive at their destination or don't (I've never had a partially delivered Excel spreadsheet on my laptop for example) but 'life's too short' and so I have fitted them as Chord suggests...at least I can 'rest easy' that I have followed the manufacturer's instructions!

What happens if you reverse the cable? I’ll guess nothing, given that Ethernet is bi-directional and so the concept of a directional Ethernet cable is even dafter than a directional signal cable.

What happens if you reverse the cable? I’ll guess nothing, given that Ethernet is bi-directional and so the concept of a directional Ethernet cable is even dafter than a directional signal cable.

source.gif

To be pernickety the original Ethernet was 10base5 and used a thick yellow coaxial cable that you attached your devices using a 'vampire tap'. The next standard was 10base2 that used a thinner coaxial cable and you attached your devices using T couplers. Then came 10baseT and that used the 'AT&T structured cabling system' RJ45 twisted pair patch/fly cables that you see today. These cables can carry any protocol even the old Token Ring (yes I still have a pair).

The Ethernet protocol was designed for use over a coaxial bus and radio transmission.

Cheers,

DV

The cable strickly speaking is not bi-directional. In the early days you had to make a crossover cable to connect two similar Ethernet devices together. Today you can get away using just the one directional cable because the Ethernet adapters are intelligent and adapt to the cable. I think.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back