advertisement

What is 'Super ARAY conductor geometry' when it's at home?

I cannot judge people here for the work they have done that I’m unaware of.

only by their comments

fwiw I worked at BT for a decade so have been involved in connectivity work my-shelf on occasion

I just replaced the 4 free isp donated or extremely cheap Ethernet cables in my system with 4 fluke tested Ethernet cables - 10M in all - total cost 100 squid -—=> positive impact on SQ of my system

It is interesting that Chord use coax in their streaming cables

so the ‘fred’ was not a total waste of ⏰

Whatever, Chord's streaming cables aren't ethernet cables, in that they don't meet Cat5e standards. No twisted pairs and hand-terminated. Other expensive audio streaming cables are like this. Chord have never explained the meaning of ARAY as far as I know, even when reps have been asked in person.

I don’t plan to buy this or any other posh streaming cables.

I’m just trying to find out how they are constructed.

Perhaps a fool is someone who arrogantly denounces others without ever having heard the thing they are pontificating about.

if so, there is a pack of little fools round here tonight

My post was not intended to be a comment on your question, just on the cynicism of snake oil salesmen.

Perhaps a fool is someone who arrogantly denounces others without ever having heard the thing they are pontificating about.

Do you think that would be a valid comment in the "Van Den Hul The Extender" thread too?

I've used Chord cables exclusively for years* and was intrigued by this, so i did ask for a copy of their white paper on the Aray stuff a few years back. Hasn't arrived in my inbox yet...

*Note - before you cry foul, I use Chord for three reasons:

(1) Their cables sound good
(2) They're quite local to me and I'm happy to support them. They're also a very nice bunch of people.

But most importantly:

(3) Their cables are very well made and don't fall apart after a few weeks when subject to a reviewer's abuse (and believe, me, I've had plenty of cables that can't hack this!)

Yeah, all good reasons to a point - less so when it comes to justifying £2K+ on a metre of cable (easy enough to do with Chord).

Oh, and none of the cables I’ve tried/been loaned have fallen apart.

I had Chord Rumour 2 speaker cables since 2004.
Replaced them with Chord Epic - bought from the excellent manicatel on pfm about a year ago.

Both very good cables to my ear in my system, each in their own different way.

I'm not looking to buy new Ethernet cables right now, as mentioned.

I am tempted to start a discussion of how and why Chord used a coaxial design for their fatter streaming cables...

but I hestiate to do so in case I get mobbed by people yelling 'crepe, bs, nonsense, fairy dust, utter rot, codswallop', etc.

This has now happened to me on almost every thread I've opened - that about half the people on the thread have energetically and rudely laid into me for asking a straightforward question about hifi.

So I think pfm is too hostile for me to hang around on as a place to share and discuss ideas about audio.

sigh...

I am tempted to start a discussion of how and why Chord used a coaxial design for their fatter streaming cables...

Why do you want to know? Would you accept "marketing" as an answer?

but I hestiate to do so in case I get mobbed by people yelling 'crepe, bs, nonsense, fairy dust, utter rot, codswallop', etc.

In what way is that mobbing? There is no yelling, and the "bs" comments are not directed at you, but the marketing claims of Chord.

So I think pfm is too hostile for me to hang around on as a place to share and discuss ideas about audio.

Sounds like you interpret not agreeing with your assumptions/beliefs as hostile.

Whatever, Chord's streaming cables aren't ethernet cables, in that they don't meet Cat5e standards. No twisted pairs and hand-terminated. Other expensive audio streaming cables are like this. Chord have never explained the meaning of ARAY as far as I know, even when reps have been asked in person.

Ethernet cables do not have to meet Cat5e standards. Cat5e cables have to meet Cat5e standards.

Last edited:
Ethernet cables don’t not have to meet Cat5e standards. Cat5e cables have to meet Cat5e standards.

Indeed. Ethernet tends to work with surprisingly bad cables as long as they are twisted pair. You might not get gigabit speeds....

Most of those refer to as trolls hold the opinion they do because they've worked on, with, designed or in one case created part of the tcp-ip standard. You should listen to them, they know more about Ethernet than chord.
Unfortunately some of those with qualifications, design experience etc. use them to show how clever they are and how stupid is anyone who doesn't agree with them. He asked a simple question, and rather then say "I don't know the construction method" or even better say nothing, they have followed the "I know best" route. There is of course one particular exponent on this forum who gets himself a ban from time to time!

I don’t know about Super ARAY, but a couple of years ago I did read a white paper published by Chord about Tuned ARAY. That paper described the Tuned element as being a parasitic extra bit of wire attached to the return pin - effectively an aerial. It stated the length of this extra wire was the relevant part. Over time I believe Chord have extended the use of this parasitic aerial to include both ends of the return wire and then further to the positive as well.

As with all these ideas, Chord are not the only proponents of this ‘technology’ and Walker Audio have a similar concept, though different implementation, with their;
Eliminator Directional Antennae

https://walkeraudio.com/?product=eliminator-directional-antennae

Now I can certainly see how adding antennae to ones HiFi may have an audible effect - I just struggle with how it could be a good effect/idea.

I don’t know about Super ARAY, but a couple of years ago I did read a white paper published by Chord about Tuned ARAY. That paper described the Tuned element as being a parasitic extra bit of wire attached to the return pin - effectively an aerial. It stated the length of this extra wire was the relevant part. Over time I believe Chord have extended the use of this parasitic aerial to include both ends of the return wire and then further to the positive as well.
Hi,
Ethernet transmission along the wire is balanced - there are pairs for transmit and receive. Adding an aerial to the "return" makes no sense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

"Most Category 5 cables are unshielded, relying on the balanced line twisted pair design and differential signaling for noise rejection"

Adding an aerial to a piece of wire causes it to transmit EMI as well as receive EMI. You cannot design it such the aerial receives only, as any signal along the wire will transmit.

Regards,
Shadders.

Ah yes, fair enough, I hadn’t considered the transmission of EMI - I guess I just didn’t think there was much in the way of EMI for an interconnect to transmit.

The concept still seems an odd idea, receiving or transmitting EMI!

advertisement

Back