advertisement

What is still truely British today?

What is truly British is a fantastic question and more people should be made aware of what is and what isn't and they should care, but more importantly why.

The list of companies posted is valid, and I am very proud of anything that the we the British make and control.. However it is really deeper than it seems .

Hi Fi and in particular electronics is a market that for decades has been dominaated ( Low-Mid end at least ) by the far east, it has been made there and it has been sourced from there and we the British have bought product produced there. However even when Onix was making product in the UK as much as I tried (and on many occasions paid more for parts made in the UK) it became harder and harder to get the parts/components we needed to make the product we sold.

This meant we made units in the UK,we designed the units in the UK with some parts made in the far east ... was our product British ? .. Yes it was ... but was the sum of parts a 100% British... no it was not... and neither was any other HI FI company for at least the last 40 years.

In reality to be British you need a few key ingredients you need British management that controls all production , you need British design and you need British Control, you need an understanding of British likes and Dislikes, you need to pass some of the "Britishness" to each and every unit made ..British design integrity , British history of passed on knowledge and British Quality demands ... this is where the far east fails ... Parts do not make the sum, after all Frakenstein may have been the best bits put together but we all know how that turned out .

Have you ever wondered why German cars are so typically German ? Or why American cars are so typically American ?

Then have you wondered why when these companies that go to make product using overseas contractors somehow lose their character ?

The reason is as above, I am British I am proud to be British, England is my home... and even as I currently live in Asia I am still British. When I am in control, anything I design comes from my ways a British person anything I control is done in a British manner and anything I make will be made the way I want it made and expect it to be made because of my "Britsh "training and Britsh ways.

I may own a machine in Asia but I still drive it, I will drive it the way I was trained to drive it , I will drive the way I think it needs to be driven, my house will still be the way I like it and my Factory will still work the way I want it to . The staff may not be British but the factory will be .

The problem with the HI FI companies that have gone to the far east to make product is not where they make it , it's how much they control it, and how much they have control . They go to get cheaper production they dont set up factories they contact OEM manufactuers they go to get costs down. They don't go because it the best place to be, and that's why what they do fails.

British is British, if its owned by the British designed by the British and controlled by the British on a daily basis. After all how many people working in British factories were not born in the UK ? isn't this the same ? , if 50% of the staff at the companies named above are from another country does that make it a foreign company ? No it does not

The Empire took control of large parts of Asia, if you go to Singapore or Malaysia the "British way "is there for all to see, go to the Philippines and the "American way "is so obvious it's scary, go to China and its pure Chinese... and this is where so many companies have gone wrong .. You cant contract Chinese companies to make product and expect it to be the same as it is in Britain/America/Germany or anywhere else.. it just won't be, you can however go to other countries and do it the same way.

This is my opinion and because I was educated and I am British, I can voice it .

Adam W

Funny that there isn't much high level German HiFi, or Swiss for that matter. The Germans make/made the best cars, cameras, scientific instruments, and are historically the most musical nation in Europe. The Swiss are great in precision engineering, cameras, weapons, etc. They had Thorens, which I believe became German, and Lenco and tape recorders (Studer?).

Funny that there isn't much high level German HiFi, or Swiss for that matter. The Germans make/made the best cars, cameras, scientific instruments, and are historically the most musical nation in Europe. The Swiss are great in precision engineering, cameras, weapons, etc. They had Thorens, which I believe became German, and Lenco and tape recorders (Studer?).

Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and Burmester are German. Nagra and Dartzeel are Swiss. And there are probably some other brands that aren't marketed in the UK.

On the other hand Leica is UK owned (well, it was last time I looked).

Graham Slee. handmade by Graham oop north in most cases. I rang the number on the web site once to enquire about an order and Mrs Slee answered the phone and said, 'Oh yes, he's building that one now, hang on a sec...'

Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and Burmester are German. Nagra and Dartzeel are Swiss. And there are probably some other brands that aren't marketed in the UK.

On the other hand Leica is UK owned (well, it was last time I looked).

FM Acoustics and Goldmund are also Swiss.

There is a difficult point here..

Few of the ''parts'' are made in the UK.

If a loudspeaker for example is full of Danish drive units, Capacitors, resistors and wire from China, chipboard manufactured in Poland, and glue/wadding from France but ''made'' in the UK....... it's not very ''made in the UK'' is it?

''assembled'' in the UK is about as close to this term as we can get now.

If you want ''made in the UK'' we have to get down to individual component level, such as a ''scanspeak' drive unit being manufactered in Denmark. Even then, the line becomes spurious with materials and elements being brought in from abroad.

It's not as if we're keeping the british manufacturing base alive by buying ''uk'' products either - for example if you buy a Nissan made in Sunderland you would be part of keeping a lot more people in employment than (for example) a Tom Evans Vibe.

No, for me buy British because -
1) you want UK support for your product
2) you may know the guys in question and want to buy-into what they do, or just ''like'' the company. Fair enough.
3) you think the product was the right one for you..

British is British, if its owned by the British designed by the British and controlled by the British on a daily basis. After all how many people working in British factories were not born in the UK ? isn't this the same ? , if 50% of the staff at the companies named above are from another country does that make it a foreign company ? No it does not

I would have to disagree with that. Does the product say "Made in China" on the tin? Or perhaps the euphemistically termed "ISO9001 approved facility"? Designed in Britain may be so. Priced as a made in Britain product, probably so.

There is a difficult point here..

Few of the ''parts'' are made in the UK.

If a loudspeaker for example is full of Danish drive units, Capacitors, resistors and wire from China, chipboard manufactured in Poland, and glue/wadding from France but ''made'' in the UK....... it's not very ''made in the UK'' is it?

''assembled'' in the UK is about as close to this term as we can get now.

Good points. Most of my parts are UK sourced (including Sowter transformers). BHC was UK, maybe French now. Other bits are from Russia (and USSR for paper-in-oils) and Japan (tantalum resistors).

The point being, when the market is going mad - it is still possible to control what goes into your system.

Andrew

I think we need to look at reality, China is proberly the biggest market for any consumer product these days.. and I find it interesting that the new "Afluent "Chinese do not buy Chinese products by choice . I think we all know why, aside from the prestige and image of a western product.. they know what we always knew and why we bought British.

That bodes well for "Made in Britain" products then.

advertisement

Back