1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What is still truely British today?

Discussion in 'audio' started by engjoo, Jun 29, 2011.

1. engjoo

engjoo Member

Hi Guys,

Been lurking here for a while and wondering what names are still truely British today (ie Owned by British, Designed in Britian, Manufactured in Britian).

This is not intended to be a discussion of whether this is a good or bad thing.

Some names I can get off my mind and would appreciate any contribution:

- Linn
    - Cyrus
    - Niam
    - Proac
    - Roksan
    - Harbeth

2. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Rega

3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

AudioFlat - sorry about the shameless plug!

4. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Tannoy

Tube Distinctions

dCS

Mark Grant

Music Works

Sugden

Croft

5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Tannoy is owned by the Danish TC Group.

6. Weirdness

Weirdness pfm Member

7. Werner

Werner pfm Member

Michell

Trichord

8. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Audio Note
    Goldring

9. Onixdna

Onixdna Onix GB

What is truly British is a fantastic question, and more people should be made aware of what is and what isn't and they should care, but more importantly why.

The list of companies posted is valid, and I am very proud of anything that the we the British make and control.. However it really is deeper than it seems .

Hi Fi and in particular electronics is a market that for decades has been dominated ( Low-Mid end at least ) by the far east, it has been made there and it has been sourced from there, and we the British have bought product produced there. However even when Onix was making product in the UK and as much as I tried ( even with many occasions paying more for parts made in the UK) it became harder and harder to get the parts/components we needed to make the product we sold.

This meant we made units in the UK,we designed the units in the UK, but with some parts made in the far east ... was our product British ? .. Yes it was ... but was the sum of parts a 100% British... no it was not... and neither was any other HI FI company for at least the last 40 years.

In reality to be British you need a few key ingredients... you need British management that controls all production , you need British design and you need British Control. You need an understanding of British likes and Dislikes, you need to pass some of the "Britishness" to each and every unit made ..British design integrity , British history of passed on knowledge with traditional British Quality demands ... this is where the far east fails ... Parts do not make the sum, after all Frakenstein may have been all the best bits put together, but we all know how that turned out .

Have you ever wondered why German cars are so typically German ? Or why American cars are so typically American ?

Then have you wondered why when these companies that go to make product using overseas contractors somehow lose their character ?

The reason is as above, I am British I am proud to be British, England is my home... and even though I currently live in Asia I am still British. When I am in control, anything I design comes from my ways a British person. Anything I control is done in a British manner, and anything I make will be made the way I want it made and expect it to be made because of my "Britsh "training and British ways.

I may own a machine in Asia but I still drive it, I will drive it the way I was trained to drive it , I will drive it the way I think it needs to be driven, my house will still be the way I like it, and my Factory will still work the way I want it to . The staff may not be British but the factory will be and so will the product.

The problem with HI FI companies that have gone to the far east to make product is not where they make it , it's how much they control it, and how much they have control . They go to get cheaper production... they dont set up factories they contract OEM manufactuers. They do it to get costs down and rarely for the benefit of the end user. They don't go because it the best place to be, they do it to make more money.

British is British, if its owned by the British designed by the British and controlled by the British on a daily basis. After all how many people working in British factories were not born in the UK ? isn't this the same ? , if 50% of the staff at the companies named in the list are from another country does that make it a foreign company ? No it does not .. Does that alter its heritige .. no it does not

The Empire took control of large parts of Asia, if you go to Singapore or Malaysia the "British way "is there for all to see, go to the Philippines and the "American way "is so obvious it's scary, go to China and its pure Chinese... and this is where so many companies have gone wrong .. You cant contract Chinese companies to make product and expect them to be the same. They do not work the same or run the same as we do in Britain/America/Germany or anywhere else, so how can the product/designs/quality be the same ?

People and cultures dicate the charecter of products, and history has shown that time and time again.

Remember its not where the product is made but who really made it.

This is my opinion and because I was educated and I am British, I can voice it .

Adam W

10. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

SME
    Nottingham Analogue

11. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I bought a Cyrus amp in the 1990s and it was made in Malaysia or Taiwan or somewhere.

12. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

TRON
    EAR
    Art Audio
    Border Patrol (Still British even though Gary Dews has moved to the US)

13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Tom Evans Audio Design.

14. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Meridian?

15. aquapiranha

aquapiranha pfm Member

16. AndrewR

AndrewR pfm Member

My self-built valve amplifiers :)

Brilliant service too :p

Andrew

17. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

18. John James

John James pfm Member

Avondale
    Whest
    PMC

19. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Designed and built in the UK, yes, but around 2006 Swiss/American investment became involved.

Are Spendor still UK owned?

20. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

Astin Trew