advertisement

What is it with Audi drivers ?

Wonder if there's any truth in Audi and Peugeot getting together to design a van? Maybe Audi chickened out when Peugeot suggested Audi made it but insisted on the name 'Partner'

None at all AFAIK. It was made by PSA Peugeot Citroën and used the ZX / 306 Chassis: Peugeot made vans are the Partner and Citroen made vans are the Berlingo.

The only thing not made exclusively by PSA is the 1.6 diesel engine in some models which was developed by PSA and Ford (UK).

None at all AFAIK. It was made by PSA Peugeot Citroën and used the ZX / 306 Chassis: Peugeot made vans are the Partner and Citroen made vans are the Berlingo.

The only thing not made exclusively by PSA is the 1.6 diesel engine in some models which was developed by PSA and Ford (UK).
I don’t think he was entirely serious

Audis are still fake premium cars and the owners know it. It's a front wheel drive thing. The none AWD ones should be RWD. The FWD ones are still Volskwagens to me.

LOL. The old "FWD = wrong wheel drive", b******s.

[edit]

'cos of course, everyone knows that the new FWD Honda Civic R is utterly s**t.

Audis are still fake premium cars and the owners know it. It's a front wheel drive thing. The none AWD ones should be RWD. The FWD ones are still Volskwagens to me.

I think Auto Union/NSU is the origin of Audi. Volkswagen did rescue them in the late 60's when VW's were rear wheel drive while Audi/NSU's were front wheel drive apart from the Prinz/TT which was rear wheel drive. There has been a great deal of technology swapping between the companies over the years and a rather humorous attempt to keep a Chinese wall between the brands at times.

a rather humorous attempt to keep a Chinese wall between the brands at times.

Except when the Porsche management managed to amass enough VAG shares between them to be on the brink of a hostile takeover of their own parent company.

Actually , no, that was quite amusing too.

If you're going for a 'prestige' marque, don't buy the cheap models - they are a triumph of badge desirability over what you get for your money. That's why I only buy s/h and for the cost of a new 1.4TFSI A3, I got a rather nice A7 3.0TDI quattro which is quiet, comfortable, well made with no hard plastics inside but importantly handles extremely well. I have found it makes me no more grouchy driving than any other car I had but then I've also found that the BMWs I've owned all have working indicators and I could drive the Jaguar without a cheese cutter and driving gloves. :)

It may make be a t**t but not as big a t**t as someone who pigeonholes people by the cars they drive.
I totally agree and would never buy a mundane new car when for the same money I could buy something a few years older but much better.

And rear engined too...

Quite and if you flip the trans-axle of a later rear engined VW around and stick an engine on the front you pretty much have the motor/gearbox of the original Audi 100 which was the granddaddy of most Audi's today. The Brazillian wing of the VW empire had an amusing model called the Gol which was the aforementioned flipped trans-axle but with a flat four air cooled engine at the front.

Nah, It's yer Brexit, innit.

Back when we had proper jobs and industry and stuff the aggressive forward-facing haircut travelling reps and young turk executives had a company BMW. 3 series. Anything more than a go faster stripe paid out of their bonus.

When your austerity kicked in we got Audi. Suddenly all the ****er drivers had four rings in the bonnet. Bit cheaper the old A4 than the 3 series.

Brexit, gig economy, industry leaving the shores, sterling tanking - gradually the arsehole driver are getting behind the wheel of a Vauxhall Insignia.

After 2021 we'll be on the mopeds. Like the other third world economies.

LOL. The old "FWD = wrong wheel drive", b******s.

[edit]

'cos of course, everyone knows that the new FWD Honda Civic R is utterly s**t.
If you want to be in the premium club, like Audi and its drivers so desperately do, then of course. Look:

Bentley
BMW
Ferrari
Mercedes
Porsche
Rolls

As you mention performance sports cars, have a look at the Nurburgring lap records and count how many front wheel drive cars have contributed to it.

In addition the Civic Type R is a chav's car. I think I'd rather be in an Audi.

I could go on.

Maybe the driver is tourist who didn't realise on what side of the road he should be? As a tourist in England I have bad experience regarding in what side of the road should I be. The way I drove made my wife losing several years of her life. I wasn't nervous at all but I had the feeling that few drivers around me were.

Arye

On this side of the Atlantic, my main gripe with Audi drivers is the frustration that people in quick-ish cars can drive so slowly.

As you mention performance sports cars, have a look at the Nurburgring lap records and count how many front wheel drive cars have contributed to it.

Nurburgring times provide a really good metric for measuring how fast cars can go around the Nurburgring. It's replaced the equally meaningless 0-60, 0-100, BHP or torque previously used by car bores to willy wave at the golf club bar.

In addition the Civic Type R is a chav's car. I think I'd rather be in an Audi.

And I thought you would be the kind of person who values driving experience over things like appearance; I am disappoinr.

A car that offers that sort of driving experience for £31k is very special. But if the bodykit doesn't do it for you, there's always a Leon Cupra 300, 308GTi or Megane RS all of which even the Porsche-obsessed hacks at EVO rate.

I suspect most of the twat German car drivers are those that opt for them as company cars. It is a very testosterone environment especially in sales and middle management. They are expected to be aggressive in their daily jobs and this extends to their daily drive. I have great fun when driving my M reg Volvo V70 as I don’t give a toss and they are very wary of trying it on.

A neighbour is currently constructing a cart for his horse to pull.

Come Brexit day, Dobbin will become glue and pies and your neighbour will be getting fit...

1200px-Dockworkers_in_Cap-Haitien.jpg

advertisement

Back