advertisement

What is it with Audi drivers ?

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I have had my exposure to these arrogant drivers over many years, but today was the worse incident yet.
We have a 6 week road closure, with traffic only going one way.
Today an Audi driver was attempting to go against the traffic flow, so a workman put his hand up to stop him.
The Audi driver got out of his car and assaulted the workman and the Police were called.

Do please comment ( and input from non-arrogant Audi drivers is welcomed...)

Probably knob-heads have a preference for certain Teutonic car brands since there is something in the branding/marketing of these cars that appeal to then.

Alternatively, the cars of said brands are part of some sinister experiment to turn people into knob-heads through use of mind-control technology. Some people just have the fortitude to resist them.

It's probably more to do with the number of those cars that are on the road. I seem to remember an item on GT where Clarkson said Jag produced 200,000 cars a year, but BMW, VAG and Mercedes produce 8 million a year. Each.

Probably apocryphal. PFM nerd graph incoming....

It used to be BMW drivers.

Taken on mass, BMW drivers seem to be a more thoughtful breed these days.

As it happens I was an Audi driver for a day last week (loan car from a garage) and it had many of the qualities I had read about the breed. It was a bit of a barge (an A4), had slightly lifeless steering, felt 'heavy' at the front but felt fairly quick once it was over 2000 rpm (it was only a 1.4lt apparently). What I wasn't expecting was the almost Tokyo by night (read slightly garish) interior, slightly notchy gear-change (it really wasn't very good and the car only had about 11,000 miles on it) and the electronic hand brake (weird but I quite liked it).

It's funny, the a*hats used to drive BMWs without fail. Audi went to great lengths to distance themselves from this, does anyone remember the Audi ad where the pushy young salesman type turns up at the Audi dealer and is test driving the car, telling the dealer that it's all got to be right, right clothes, right bars, right friends, all the while being a proper tw*t? At the end he returns the car and says "No thanks" with the strapline being "Audi. It's not for everyone." These days the pushy salesman aspires to an Audi, and the design language of the cars is a lot more aggressive than it used to be. There were 2 idiots on this morning's 160 mile weekly commute, one in an M3, the other an A6. Both weaving in and out in slow moving traffic, they gained about 4 or 5 car lengths until it cleared and we could get back to speed. My current bete noire is the Audi A5, the favourite trick of A5 drivers seems to be to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic. Particularly nice when yuo are on a bicycle and looking at no road and a closing speed of about 80mph. Funny how they pay more attention to a tonne and a quarter of battered Mondeo travelling at a considerably greater speed.

I suspect it's because most Audi drivers get bad tempered the moment they buy an Audi and discover what rubbish cars they are.
I had one (an A3 Sport) but only kept it 6 months as it was noisy, uncomfortable, and had appalling handling. Despite claiming to have traction control, the moment there was even a hint of frost or ice it would fail to get up the hill where I lived, and I had to regularly suffer the ignominy of watching Astras and Fiestas etc make it with no problem.

advertisement

Back