advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Blossoms tomorrow at Band On The Wall. Particularly looking forward to seeing the place post their refurb/extension. They closed early in the lockdowns to take advantage of the opportunity to update, and I was concerned at the time that we might not see it reopen.

First gig I've left early for a long time. Great to see Band on the Wall after a three year gap. Good to see Blossoms - local and seem nice lads. However the sea of mobile phones in the air/insta Snapchat posting during their set, was a clear reminder it's not my usual gig or crowd. No criticism of the band, who do what they do very well, but ultimately a little too background-radio friendly for my tastes.

Kristin Hersh electric trio at the Bullingdon, Oxford last night. Nice to see an artist in a smaller more intimate venue. It was a mix of solo, Throwing Muses and 50ft Wave material. Shame about the sound though. Piercing treble and muddy vocals. Why don't venues spend more on decent PA?

Focus at the Stables in MK last week. Thijs van Leer and Pierre van der Linden still with the band. Incredible musicianship from those two along with the (relatively) more recently arrived guitar and bass players. Superb sound quality as well. Lots of stuff from their classic period along with some more recent numbers. TvL's quirky presence added a touch of humour to the show, and how the slightly built PvdL can bash such merry hell out of his drums for an extended solo, one can only guess. An incredible evening.

Low at St John at Hackney - amazing venue, vast church with dedicated sound system. Low are my absolute favourite live band and they did not disappoint. Support were Divide and Dissolve who were great but vaguely terrifying.

Another great one last night in Dublin’s Liberty Hall

A2314284-355-A-4-AB2-90-B7-F645-A130-DD11.jpg

The Delines with the wonderful vignette stories of Willy Vlautin and the beautifully emotive voice of Amy Boone bringing them to life.

.sjb

Another great one last night in Dublin’s Liberty Hall

A2314284-355-A-4-AB2-90-B7-F645-A130-DD11.jpg

The Delines with the wonderful vignette stories of Willy Vlautin and the beautifully emotive voice of Amy Boone bringing them to life.

.sjb
You lucky so and so.;)
I'm off to see them in Nov at the Ally Pally - love their music.

Skunk Anansie, Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone.

Used to go here all the time when I lived closer, was so nice to be in and out of a gig in just minutes, none of the massive crowds and queuing of larger city venues.

They're still one of my favourite live bands, Skin is just fiery but playful, Cass always looks so damn cool and relaxed. Covid has put paid to Skin's crowd surfing but the end of the gig, after the encore, was quite magical, the PA started playing Foo Fighters Best of You as a tribute to Taylor, and the whole venue sang along at the top of their voices.

Folkestone has also changed a LOT since I was last there, plenty of superb food and drink to be had and we'd booked a fabulous little AirBNB and made a weekend of it. Coupled with the amazing weather I didn't want to go home!

AM-JKLXU534Taid4sFNrgkAXTPpCaF67FlToCmaE0PbVtwGzkB9wekTobjJCjLiZLt4_67wYzdncCgUM1KUe7qysrKVW4NKsE_hfEb-KHFz___nkNH4Oq4ypvM0ogeMsqXiNgB16V7JBaprAvucpl9ByQkgD0w=w1442-h1081-no

Saw them what seems an eternity ago in Brixton, and as I always try to do stood just in front of the sound desk. Skin walks through the crowd, poses on the desk, tells us arms up and dives onto our hands! My mate (massive Skunk Anansie fan) turns to me with the biggest grin ever and says “I touched her ar5e”! Great gig too!

Saw them what seems an eternity ago in Brixton, and as I always try to do stood just in front of the sound desk. Skin walks through the crowd, poses on the desk, tells us arms up and dives onto our hands! My mate (massive Skunk Anansie fan) turns to me with the biggest grin ever and says “I touched her ar5e”! Great gig too!

Seen them a couple of times at the Academy, always a great atmosphere there!

Sat waiting for Ian Boddy to come on stage at Capstone in Liverpool. Lovely small auditorium for a gig of mostly modular synth with the odd added moog keyboard.
Polypores as support was interesting.
How was Ian Boddy? I like his modular stuff and he seems like a good bloke :)

How was Ian Boddy? I like his modular stuff and he seems like a good bloke :)
Let me put it this way :-
I do like his music and the way he builds rhythm / sequences with modular and being 'Berlin School' I like it even more.
It was a nigh on 3 hr drive, so a night out gig for me.
I am very happy I went, and really enjoyed it.
The venue is excellent for that kind of gig, not huge, good PA and excellent acoustics.
He is a very nice, genuine guy for sure, I agree.
I imagine at some future time it will be available on disc / download from Bandcamp.

Let me put it this way :-
I do like his music and the way he builds rhythm / sequences with modular and being 'Berlin School' I like it even more.
It was a nigh on 3 hr drive, so a night out gig for me.
I am very happy I went, and really enjoyed it.
The venue is excellent for that kind of gig, not huge, good PA and excellent acoustics.
He is a very nice, genuine guy for sure, I agree.
I imagine at some future time it will be available on disc / download from Bandcamp.
Thanks Sonority, sounds like a great night, hope a download will appear soon.

Confidence Man last night at the Kentish Town Forum was brilliant fun - big party tunes, costume changes (the LED bra and shoulder pads were a nice touch), and a dancefloor bouncing like I've not seen in aaaaaages.
Imagine The B-52s brought up on acid house, and you'd not be that far off.

Taking wifey to see Tony Hadley tomorrow night, then Tool for me on Monday!
Monday night - snap.
I swore that I would never return to the O2 - Greenwich, but this had that mindset changed.
It's now no loger set in stone, more like carbonite set in impregnable <whatever>
Amazing venue, amazingly bad location.4.5 hour to get to it (last 12 miles took an hour) and 4hrs 50 to get home.
Immense in every way, an assault on all of the senses.
Very good PA, and not usually my sort of music, but was mesmerised from begining to end.
How do they keep time with that many polyrhythm's going at once?
Show itself was way up on the scale as well.
Audience, good at abiding by the no photos till the last number, but how many times can you go to the loo and come back with handfulls of pints?
I struggle to think of anyone I would go back there again for.
I have to admit - they really were that good though.
That support act - like WOW (Brass Against)

So, last Saturday Tony Hadley. Great voice still, and a wonderful tour through his musical career including a cover of The Damned’s New Rose, Jim Croce, Frank Sinatra and mainly Spandau Ballet with a couple of solo stuff. Great front man, great band and a thoroughly enjoyable evening earning plenty of brownie points!

Now Monday for Tool - fcuking hell, that gig blew me away in every way! Hate to think how many gigs I’ve attended since Uriah Heep in ‘77, but this is up there with the best. Acoustically, visually, you name it it was truly incredible!
Was on the floor ( one of the early ones who stood up!), and am still awestruck by it!

Roll on Rammstein next month!

been to a few of late, last two were Blondie at Motorpoint Arena and Spiritualized at Nottingham Royal Concert Hall on monday night

Blondie was a last minute freebie (mate got given some tickets) they were surprisingly good, been a good few years since I last saw them, always worth seeing Clem Burke in action!

Spiritualized was a cracking gig, strange choice of venue, Rock City would've definitely suited them better, however it was a great night

advertisement

Back