advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Midlake at the Button factory in Dublin’s fair city.

9-FF145-A1-151-A-4495-921-D-AB4810929-C63.jpg

.sjb

Saw the mighty Yard Act for the second time this year, at EartH in East That London. The crowd had so much affection for them, it's life-affirming IMHO.

Theatre of hate last night at Stockton Theatre, they were in great form (first night of the tour) and I just love a bit of saxophone.

Last edited:
The mission tonight at Newcastle Uni, sound was awful, Hussey looked disinterested, so I don’t think I will bother seeing them again. Shame really.

After thinking I wouldn't be able to make it, got to York to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets. Way, way better than it needed to be and a fabulous gig of deep and obscure cuts from Meddle and before. Amazing session players with Mason and Gary Kemp conjured up a properly psychedelic show. Well worth going. Probably the best versions of Saucerful of Secrets and Set the controls for the heart of the sun I've heard.

After thinking I wouldn't be able to make it, got to York to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets. Way, way better than it needed to be and a fabulous gig of deep and obscure cuts from Meddle and before. Amazing session players with Mason and Gary Kemp conjured up a properly psychedelic show. Well worth going. Probably the best versions of Saucerful of Secrets and Set the controls for the heart of the sun I've heard.

Great to hear this as am off to see them Sunday!

Went to Newcastle City Hall on Sunday to see Paul Weller for the umpteenth time. Was on top form. Actually one of the best performances I’ve seen from him. Great songs from The Jam, The Style Council and his individual numbers.
First time at The City Hall with the removable seats taken up. Wished it had been like that for years! Also saw Rick Wakeman there two weeks ago with the new seats down. Much more comfortable than the old ones. Double result.

Sparks at the Roundhouse on Sunday. Usual excellent Roundhouse sound quality. Russ and Ron in exceptional form with really good band. All highly energetic and tunes from Wonder Girl all the way to three from Annette. Crowd going nuts!

Teenage Fanclub Academy Dublin.

Dublin and Belfast were treated to a four piece as Euros Childs was feeling sickly.

.sjb

So good on the last tour I’m sat waiting for the gig at Symphony Hall.
Set list looks good!

Went to Newcastle City Hall on Sunday to see Paul Weller for the umpteenth time. Was on top form. Actually one of the best performances I’ve seen from him. Great songs from The Jam, The Style Council and his individual numbers.
First time at The City Hall with the removable seats taken up. Wished it had been like that for years! Also saw Rick Wakeman there two weeks ago with the new seats down. Much more comfortable than the old ones. Double result.

That’s good to know, seeing Weller tonight at the Kentish Town Forum, first time I’ll have seen him at a relatively small venue.

Cheers BB

DA846-AEE-05-A5-42-E2-96-BE-4-A540846-FC06.jpg

Peter Hook and the light at the boiler shop newcastle ( first time at this venue) pretty big. Sound excellent and the show was fantastic with 2 1/2 hours playing and singing both Joy Division albums plus some non album hits from JD and New Order including blue Monday. Thoroughly enjoyed it, lifted my spirits after seeing the lacklustre Mission last week. Recommended.

Last edited:
David Rodigan & the Outlook Orchestra at the RFH a week ago. First gig in over two years. Great fun, and wonderful to see Freddie McGregor and Horace Andy as guests.

Mick

Robert Plant and Saving Grace on Friday at the Olympia Liverpool . Never been a huge Zeps fan but liked Robert Plants solo work and his albums with Alison Krauss . No idea what the show was going to be like but it was a real surprise and pleasure . All covers of English Folk , Americana and Blues and Gospel . Robert was in great voice and Suzi was a great foil as was the playing from the small group . All in all a great night of wonderful singing and playing so glad I bought the tickets by chance and would say if you are near any of his later dates and can get a ticket do it you will not be anything but delight .

How was he?

Third time I’ve seen Weller live and easily the best. He was on top form and really looked like he was enjoying every minute of it. Great mix of old and new tracks and of course the Jam numbers went down a storm. My only criticism was the sound mix, on the more lively numbers the guitars masked the vocals too much but it got better as the night went on. Seeing him again at Chelsea Hospital, can’t wait.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back