advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

He does like it loud! I sometimes wear etymotic ear plugs. You can hear everything clear as day. I do agree that he seemed to really enjoy it.

Last concert now until June, saw Kirstin Hersh’s electric trio at the Cluny in Newcastle, great sound in a great venue, a thundering groove with a good mix of songs. For the encore the bass player and drummer switched places and boy could they play. But the set was just under the hour.
CA9-E66-BE-1142-4803-B54-F-6-D76050-FE9-AF.jpg

The Monochrome Set, Supported by Micko & The Mellotronics and Helen McCookerybook on Saturday the 16th.

The Monochrome Set by Pete, on Flickr

and then Luke Haines & Peter Buck - much delayed Beat Poetry for Survivalists gig at the 100 club the following Monday.

Coming up next Cult Figures at the Dublin Castle on Friday, the also much delayed ON U Sound 40th anniversary Pay it all back gig at the Forum on Saturday (Tack>head, Mark Stewart & Maffia , African Head charge, Creation Rebel , Horace Andy etc) and then the Nightingales on the 3rd at the Garage

Last concert now until June, saw Kirstin Hersh’s electric trio at the Cluny in Newcastle, great sound in a great venue, a thundering groove with a good mix of songs. For the encore the bass player and drummer switched places and boy could they play. But the set was just under the hour.
CA9-E66-BE-1142-4803-B54-F-6-D76050-FE9-AF.jpg

I’m more than a bit miffed. I wanted to see her locally, but had to be away for work. The job got cancelled, but the gig’s now sold out.

Planty with Saving Grace last night in Halifax. What an absolutely great gig ! And they were clearly loving it too.

My wife and I went to see Cat Power at the Danforth Music Hall, Toronto last week. I was looking forward to one of the first concerts in this city since the lockdown.
Alas the sound mix for the support was so bad that after three songs we headed to the ( excellent) Allan's Bar next door and had Fish N Chips and a good beer. Went back an hour later on the assumption that the support band had an inferior mix. Alas if anything her sound engineer rather than the house guy was even worse at the mix desk.
Perhaps that was the sound balance they inc Cat Power wanted but it was terrible. Even when she was doing her limited song intros her vocals were garbled - so after looking at each other for the umpteenth time - we headed home after four or five songs.

We have heard crystal clear and wonderful mixes for the likes of Elbow, Rhiannon Giddens, Goldfrapp ( v loud but clear clear sound ), Tinariwen at the same venue with the same basic sound rig. So what up Cat Power - your lyrics deserve to be heard.

It also pissed me off that all tickets and announcement said 7pm start and she came on at 9:15pm.

Edit: And two cans of beer were $25 plus tax and tip !

Last edited:
Lindisfarne, Monday just gone, a fund raiser for Ukraine at the Wylam Brewery which is housed in the old Palace of Arts on the town moor. Thoroughly enjoyable! There's a certain joyous shared buzz in hearing Lindisfarne do the likes of Fog on the Tyne, in Newcastle and everyone joining in:)

Acoustics of the "St Pauls dome" like venue a bit iffy and beer a rip off at £5.50 a pint when it's made on the premises so not even any transport costs. Nice though.

Unfortunately we had to leave before the expected encore in order to get the last bus back.

My wife and I went to see Cat Power at the Danforth Music Hall, Toronto last week. I was looking forward to one of the first concerts in this city since the lockdown.
Alas the sound mix for the support was so bad that after three songs we headed to the ( excellent) Allan's Bar next door and had Fish N Chips and a good beer. Went back an hour later on the assumption that the support band had an inferior mix. Alas if anything her sound engineer rather than the house guy was even worse at the mix desk.
Perhaps that was the sound balance they inc Cat Power wanted but it was terrible. Even when she was doing her limited song intros her vocals were garbled - so after looking at each other for the umpteenth time - we headed home after four of five songs.

We have heard crystal clear and wonderful mixes for the likes of Elbow, Rhiannon Giddens, Goldfrapp ( v loud but clear clear sound ), Tinariwen at the same venue with the same basic sound rig. So what up Cat Power - your lyrics deserve to be heard.

It also pissed me off that all tickets and announcement said 7pm start and she came on at 9:15pm.
Interesting.
I had exactly the same experience at the Divine Comedy gig in Manchester at the Bridgewater Hall last night.
Couldn’t make out a word that was being sung or said. Sound balance was execrable.
Left at the interval.

Third time I’ve seen Weller live and easily the best. He was on top form and really looked like he was enjoying every minute of it. Great mix of old and new tracks and of course the Jam numbers went down a storm. My only criticism was the sound mix, on the more lively numbers the guitars masked the vocals too much but it got better as the night went on. Seeing him again at Chelsea Hospital, can’t wait.

Cheers BB

I saw Weller (also for the umpteenth time) last year in Llandudno and was unimpressed. Worst of all the Weller gigs I've been to. Sound system was poor - distorting - and song choice not my favourites either. I don't think I'll go to see him again - for me he is going downhill on material and sound. Not like the Albert Hall days!

Band was called ‘Rumours of Fleetwood Mac’ (IIRC) so the first half was playing the Rumours album track by track, second half started with early Peter Green stuff (which I’m less familiar with) then some well known tracks from other FM albums and a couple of Stevie Nicks songs. Over a couple of hours of music

On most tracks they were pretty authentic sounding - I wouldn’t pay 5 times the price of a ticket (or more) to see the real band

Blossoms tomorrow at Band On The Wall. Particularly looking forward to seeing the place post their refurb/extension. They closed early in the lockdowns to take advantage of the opportunity to update, and I was concerned at the time that we might not see it reopen.

Sat waiting for Ian Boddy to come on stage at Capstone in Liverpool. Lovely small auditorium for a gig of mostly modular synth with the odd added moog keyboard.
Polypores as support was interesting.

advertisement

Back