advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Larkin Poe last week in Manchester... loved it. A great set from an on-form band who can deliver live. I've been a fan since someone posted a vid on this site around 4 years ago. This gig was originally scheduled for 2020 but delayed for obvious reasons... well worth the wait.

Saw Larkin Poe In Bristol a couple of weeks ago - also had tickets for original 2020 gig. Will be booking when they come our way again and they definitely deserve to be more well-known.

Last one was David Celia & Marla at The Bell in Bath - great venue and a shame they didn't draw a bigger audience but was the Tues after the May Day bank holiday.

Monday night - snap.
I swore that I would never return to the O2 - Greenwich, but this had that mindset changed.
It's now no loger set in stone, more like carbonite set in impregnable <whatever>
Amazing venue, amazingly bad location.4.5 hour to get to it (last 12 miles took an hour) and 4hrs 50 to get home.
Immense in every way, an assault on all of the senses.
Very good PA, and not usually my sort of music, but was mesmerised from begining to end.
How do they keep time with that many polyrhythm's going at once?
Show itself was way up on the scale as well.
Audience, good at abiding by the no photos till the last number, but how many times can you go to the loo and come back with handfulls of pints?
I struggle to think of anyone I would go back there again for.
I have to admit - they really were that good though.
That support act - like WOW (Brass Against)

I saw then in Manchester on the 2nd of May, the last time I saw them was 2006. I'd agree with what you say about huge venues like these - Tool and The Cure are the only two bands I would go to see in this type of venue. I also share your frustration with people endlessly going to the bar/toilet - they must miss half of the concert, I like a drink myself but usually abstain at concerts. Another thing - why do people go to a concert in order to have a conversation with their friends all the way through? If I've paid £100 for a ticket I want to listen to the music, not someone's inane comments!
Anyway - Tool were amazing!
l9wd0Rxl.jpg

PvSyJ03l.jpg

Kristin Hersh again! 2nd time in 2 weeks but this time, just acoustic. This was at Wycombe Arts Centre on Monday. Basically, it's a church and the acoustics were fabulous. Kristin really can play a guitar well. This was better than with her backing band and she picked out some good track to play.

Kristin Hersh again! 2nd time in 2 weeks but this time, just acoustic. This was at Wycombe Arts Centre on Monday. Basically, it's a church and the acoustics were fabulous. Kristin really can play a guitar well. This was better than with her backing band and she picked out some good track to play.

Saw her in Reading on Friday - she's the real deal, an uttelry convincing performer.

Then, for a contrast, went out clubbing on Saturday for A Love From Outer Sapce at Phonox in Brixton. Even better, it ran from 4-10pm; so home with a cuppa by 11.30 - silver raver win.

Sun Ra Arkestra last night at Earth in Hackney. I still don't love the sound at this venue - it can be a bit boom & tish - but it got better as the night went on.

Arkestra were great and I was really happy to see the great James Stewart playing with them again this tour. And of course always a privilege to see Marshall Allen still absolutely shrieking on alto as he approaches his 98th birthday!!

No photos as I invested rather enthusiastically at the bar resulting in a less than steady hand...

A disappointingly low turnout to see Algiers last night.

Disappointing for the band, but great for us punters. This was one of the shows that was postponed for 2 years, so presumably some natural wastage, forgetting the new date, lack of new material, who knows?

Excellent show as usual including some new songs for an album due out in October this year.

(Going back, what, 6 years, I was angry because I thought I had missed the chance to see them in a small venue. 6 years on, guess what? Bizarre lack of success for one of the best bands on the planet right now).
algiers 2022 munich strom

Seckou Keita & Catrin Finch last might in Leeds - quite impressed with the new toons, so may end up buying my first new CD in ages!

Just home from seeing (2.5 years late), Michael Kiwanuka. It was worth the wait, a cracking set. Hats off to whomever was on the mixing desk, they got it spot on, vocals clear as a bell, unlike the last few gigs I’ve been to. Brixton Academy nearly always delivers.

Only 4 hours and I need to be back up.

Cheers BB

Gwenifer Raymond at Cafe OTO last Friday. Storming set! Excellent support from Jacken Elswyth, improvising banjo player, no less.

...and then Meshuggah at the same venue last night, a different crowd for sure! The Flaming Lips audience were wearing psychedelic colours, the Meshuggah fans were mostly the usual Kerrangutangs - all dressed in black. Still a great show, though, very loud and intense with amazing lights.
GEmGakGl.jpg

The support were Zeal and Ardor - I'm a big fan and they were excellent, the best support act I've seen in years.
T6onqaGl.jpg

John Grant last night at the Shepherds Bush Empire, supported by Stephen Mallinder.
Mallinder's set (accompanied by he of the enviable synth collection, Benge) bodes really well for his upcoming album.
John Grant played a wide ranging, two hour set; pulled from songs he played with The Czars to the splendidly wonky electronic tunes from his later albums. Highlight for us was an excellent rearrangement of Mars; though the entire crowd singing along to GMF was pretty great too. Safe to say, there was a lot of love in the room.

We went to see Quentin Collins and his new Quintet '5 Way Split' at Peggy's Skylight in Nottingham:

They were excellent. You can catch them at the Verdict Jazz Club in Brighton on the 1st July.

advertisement

Back