advertisement

What concert have you last been to #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate Rusby "At Christmas" in Malvern.

Surprisingly good; familiar carols sung to unfamiliar (to me) traditional Yorkshire tunes. Brass section added a lovely warmth to the sound. Plus a few old favourites. A great atmosphere and a very enjoyable evening.

Damian

Went along to see The Proclaimers at Kilmarnock Grand Hall last night, great concert in a great little venue (can only hold about 700 people). Best bit was when they sang 'The Joyful Kilmarnock Blues', the place was bouncing!

Whole Lotta Led at Newcastle o2. A great new lineup - a better vocalist, better drummer and an additional guitarist/keyboard player to the existing bass and guitar players. A really good tight sound which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Last week. Joseph Calleja at the RFH. A great evening and the Philharmonia Orchestra were on top form.

Zappa Play Zappa at Birmingham Town Hall in November. Unfortunately somewhat spoiled by hopeless acoustics. Saw them the previous November at Warwick Arts Centre which was one of the best gigs we had ever seen. Amazing talent and commitment and of course material from Frank's catalogue.

Norrbotten Big Band play Charles Mingus (director Michael Abene) last night at Carnegie Hall, Dunfermline. There is nothing like the sound of a big crunchy jazz band and this was really good. I particularly liked the arrangements of Slop and Self portrait in three colours. The joint was rocking.

There is a repeat tonight (2nd Feb) in the St Andrews Town Hall, see the Fife Jazz Festival website for details if you are interested..

Saw Kent Duchaine on Tuesday at the Wrotham Arms in Broadstairs, a very good evening of blues.
Was going to see Kelly Joe Phelps in Sandwich on the 13th February but had a message last night that he has broken his wrist.
At least I have the Broadstairs Blues Bash, http://www.broadstairsbluesbash.com/, to go to in 3 weeks time. About 40 artists on all weekend and virtually all of them free!

Royal Northern College of Music Opera Gala last week.
The Opera North orchestra, RNCM vocal students and four established alumni gave us an evening of arias.
It was sublime.

I then went to the RNCM on Tuesday and Thursday last to listen to operatic students doing exam pieces.

Tonight RNCM for Manchester Camerata doing Vivaldi, Sinfonia R169 and The Four Seasons and Piazzolla The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires. The Vivaldi Four Seasons won't be the usual one. It will be one of trhe earliest known versions called The Manchester manuscript and the leader, Giovanni Guzzo will be playing a 1709 Stradivarius.

Should be fascinating.

Update
Giovanni Guzzo is a genius!

The Piazzolla was utterly superb!

Heritage Blues Band were amazing at Celtic connections.

Eric Bibb was also sounding great on Thursday and on Friday.

Transatlantic sessions was eclectic mix and coming to the TV in the autumn.

Tomorrow night
Manchester Deaf Institute
Manchester Camerata with Giovanni Guzzo playing Beethoven quartets.

Be Good Tanyas, Bristol.
Very good, but sadly one of their number was absent as she is recovering from a car accident.

Damian

Kraftwerk playing Radioactivity last night at Tate Modern.
My worries about the sound in that big concrete box were unfounded - it sounded amazing, and in surround sound as well. The 3D visuals were excellent (with people ducking out of the way as they came towards them).
Highlights for me were Trans Europe Express, a beefed up Spacelab, Numbers (obv), and Airwaves.
For those who didn't manage to get tickets, they were selling returns on the door - just saying like.
If you can go, GO!

Was at the above Kraftwerk gig last night....absolutely phenomenal.

I tried in vain to buy tickets when they went on sale. Turned up last night at 6pm, got into the returns queue and was in by 715pm. I think more people know about this now but definitely worth a shot if you are nearby and want to see the show (you do).

Highlights for me (surprisingly) were the whole Boing Boom Tschak/Techno Pop section. Numbers/Computerworld was awesome, the whole thing was great. All that was missing was The Telephone Call!

Stuart,

Get to Bankside before 6pm, when you arrive make sure you are at the Millennium Bridge. Then just walk straight forward and you will find the queue. Yesterday it was fairly empty, even at 1830/45h. I cannot comment for next Weds (Tour de France? I think that is the most sought after).

Good luck.

James

Stuart,

Get to Bankside before 6pm, when you arrive make sure you are at the Millennium Bridge. Then just walk straight forward and you will find the queue. Yesterday it was fairly empty, even at 1830/45h. I cannot comment for next Weds (Tour de France? I think that is the most sought after).

Good luck.

James

Next Wednesday is 'The Mix' - and I will be at that.
The opening night was rather good as well :) (long story)
To be honest, the amount that they play from the whole range, the set will vary little - I'm betting on the opening track being Robots, but what a track to kick off with.

Stuart,

Good luck.

James

Thanks James

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back