advertisement

What concert have you last been to #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

guey

pfm Member
As the the first one seems to be locked, I'll kick off a new one.

Last night: Seefeel at the ICA.
Kinnell, that was intense, and very loud (hurrah for earplugs or I'd have really suffered). Really looking forward to the new EP

In the last week Gong and The Pop Group.

The former had an extremely trippy lightshow, the latter told us We Are All Prostitutes and were extremely bloody LOUD.

Jack

Black Mountain and Wolf People on Tuesday at the Oran Mor.

Given that the support band were listed as Ladyhawk, it was a very pleasant surprise to see Wolf People kicking off the show. Saw them back in March with The Besnard Lakes and thoroughly enjoyed both sets. A good rock band with folk influences. Probably better than I can describe.

Black Mountain were very welcome, given they had to cancel the 2008 show due to illness. The new album, Wilderness Heart, had been released the day before and they played a decent selection from it. They played an excellent set and got a great reception throughout the show. However they really shifted up a gear about halfway through and kicked some serious arse. I'll go back and see them next time around and would recommend them to anyone. CDs were on sale for only a £10, so I picked up the new one and the first album. All were available in vinyl for all you addicts out there.

The UK dates are finished, but they will be in London next month:

7th Oct | London | Shepherds Bush Empire

Heard "Silbury Sands" from Wolf People on Radcliffe & Maconie show the other night - rather good.

Thea Gilmore at Pacific Road, Birkenhead. Just got back.

Was dragged along rather reluctantly to this on the old 'I've got a spare ticket' deal. I knew the name but not the music.

Bloody excellent lady, with a great band.

And her post gig signing chat was patient and genuine.

Proper music, seriously recommended.

Mull

Joanna Newsom. Hmmmm. Interesting to very good. A lot of Ket Bush circa Army Dreamers going on, but enjoyable.

Anthony and the Johnsons - Bristol - unexpectedly good. Felt a bit odd being straight 40 something amongst all the lesbian couple and goths, although soon got over that and enjoyed lavish set.

Before that Porcupine Tree - Colston Hall - superb, even though I was struggling to get into The Incident LP that made up half the set.

Nils Lofgren acoustic next.

Tristan und Isolde at the Royal Festival Hall. Esa-Pekka Salonen directed, the Philharmonia played, Violeta Urmana and Gary Lehman were the happy couple.

This was a essentially a concert performance but one that was interesting spatially with the cast all over the hall (I think they missed a trick not putting King Marke in the royal box!). Visual interest was provided by Bill Viola's video art on a big screen behind the performers. This was a commentary on the music with images of water, fire, sun and moon, by turns beautiful, banal, apt and distracting. The slow strip of a hippiesque couple (straight out of The Joy of Sex) had the welcome side-effect of silencing what had been a rather bronchial audience! Unfortunately, shutting your eyes - tempting at times - meant that you missed the surtitles.

The performance was beautiful, with really fine playing from the Philharmonia perfectly balanced with the singers. Violetta Urmana a very fine Isolde. It perhaps lacked the last degree of passion that the ideal Tristan performance possesses but it was a highly memorable evening, mostly in a good way.

f2a8e1db340eafc0bf214d9e4fb3c763_XL.jpg

Hi
Last one was Zappa plays Zappa at the RHC in Glasgow, very much enjoyed, next is Jeff Beck at the Clyde auditorium on Oct 20, yippee.
Regards
Jim

You Are Here, on Saturday night. Geoff Leigh and a lot of other people, mostly noiseniks of limited ability but plenty of enthusiasm.

Interpreti Venziani playing Vivaldi, Bach and Paganini in Chiesa San Vidal in Venice.

Great concert; really rousing performance in an excellent venue (complete with Carpaccio altar piece of the named saint on horseback).

We were staying in bed and breakfast in the Dorsodouro neighborhood, only about 5 minutes walk from the concert venue across the Accedemia bridge. If you are in Venice during their concert season, look them out.

We also heard a Jazz group performing outside on the Zattere (big long wharf area on southern boundary of city). They were pretty good, although the guitarist was not up to the standard of the rest of them.

glenn hughes at the rescue rooms nottingham. Nice to see one of the old stagers enjoying themselves and still has a fine voice .top marks.

Ton Koopman and his wife Tini Mathot.

Didn't like the first half so much: the two double harpsichord concerti by obscure baroque composers played with a modern orchestra (Tapiola Sinfonietta) went a long way towards explaining why these composers have remained obscure.

The Haydn Symphony 98 played in the second half was very lively and enjoyable. Koopman is apparently recording the complete London Symphonies with his Amsterdam orchestra. Should be good.

Somebody I know went to see Grinderman a couple of days ago and said they were excellent.

Last night I went to see Duane Eddy at The Royal Festival Hall. He played Peter Gunn, Ramrod, Shazaam and Dance With The Guitar Man.

He's not bad for an old bloke who plays his own signature model guitars made by Gretsch and Gibson.

Actually he looked pretty cool with a western hat pulled low on his head and a coat.

The highlight was when Richard Hawley came on and they did a couple of Lee Hazlewood numbers.

One was called The Girl On Death Row, which was totally excellent and somewhat chillng as Hawley sang it.

The other was The Fool, a hit for Sanford Clark in the Fifties.

Apparently Duane Eddie and Richard Hawley will be doing some recording together.

Jack

NME Radar tour at Aberdeen Tunnels last night.

Chapel Club were very good, although going on what I'd heard before I'd dismissed them as a lumpen indie-dirge. Much better live.

Headliners were The Joy Formidable, 4th time I've seen them, - I've watched them grow from playing to 20 nonplussed punters in a boozer to pulling a sizeable 200+ crowd last night (pretty good by Aberdeen standards). They really do make an epic racket, and finally seem to be breaking through.

Mumford & Sons - Brighton Dome - 4/10/10
Truely, bloody marvelous!
In the circle, but a great view of the band and sound quality, as ever at the Dome, was excellent.

norm

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back