advertisement

What concert have you last been to #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This brings out the ocd extremist in me. All venues need a big sign similar to the jazz cafe "during the performance STFU" imo.
And what on earth are all those people thinking sticking their smart 'phones in the air recording crappy video, but obscuring the view for everyone else?
Aaarrrrgggghhhhh!

I wanted to go to the Sigur Ros show, but it clashed with Steven Wilson at the ABC. As I saw SR at the Academy a couple of years ago and hadn't seen one of SWs solo shows, I went to the ABC instead.

You will be disappointed to note that there was virtually no talking from the crowd, ensuring that the music was given full attention, and that those brandishing mobile phones were asked to put them away for the duration of the show. Bizarrely enough, the place was seated.

Overall, it was a good show, but a bit too 70s prog for my tastes in general. Certainly a talented bunch of musicians though.

Steven Wilson at the Royal Festival Hall last night. Excellent performance and really good sound quality.

Me too. We were on row BB and the sound for the first couple of minutes was rather muddy, but they obviously got their act together as it then started sounding great.

The amazing show that was The Raven That Refused to Sing at the RFH last night.
Still in awe as to just how good that actually was.
Agree it was ambitious, but hell, did they pull it off.

Ditto at the steven wilson gig..superb as always just another reiteration that Wilson is without doubt one of the best musicians of the last 30 years or so IMHO, even without Tolkeinesque lyrics! My only niggle was the excees noodling of the guitarist,i preferred the one from last years gig at the Shepherds Bush Empire..more feel and less notes..bring on Adrian Belew

Sigur Ros last night in Manchester. Fantastic sound in there and really enjoyed the gig. Great atmospheric lighting. Saw them a few years ago in Blackpool and haven't really paid attention to their output over the past few years. Will have to check out their last album as I really liked what I assume were newer tracks.

I would agree re Guthrie - I felt he lost the plot a couple of times. Belew would be an awesome choice.

that Wilson is without doubt one of the best musicians of the last 30 years or so IMHO, even without Tolkeinesque lyrics!

Before prog -haters chime in, that was sarcasm. No Tolkien here, move on......

Steven W has never done well in the tour bus 'Hobbit test.' Sadly, I think I may have won on the last but one No-Man tour. And I'm not even a fan of Tolkien.

:D

Stephen

I was there too. I only had a chance to listen to the new LP a couple of times due to being struck down by flu last week and in no state to listen to music, so it was still new to me.

The gig was very good, but I felt that it needed a bit more light and shade and as mentioned above, a few gaps between notes would have been nice.

I really, really hate London audiences though, so much chatter and movement.

The gig at least finished on time :), Mrs S had contemplated taking Miss S to see J. Bieber at the O2. She was glad she didn't - there were a few sad looking young girls on the train home last night.

The gig at least finished on time :), Mrs S had contemplated taking Miss S to see J. Bieber at the O2. She was glad she didn't - there were a few sad looking young girls on the train home last night.

I was in exactly that position. My wife and daughter were at the O2, my son and I were at the RFH.

When we got back to the O2 there were lots of very unhappy little people heading home almost before Bieber had come on.

Getting out of the carpark afterwards was a joke too.

The gig was very good, but I felt that it needed a bit more light and shade and as mentioned above, a few gaps between notes would have been nice.

That can happen when you have a brace of virtuoso musicians on stage - you need to give them all space to shine. Funnily enough, we tend to underplay in No-man. It's all about the light and shade. Steven can choose which projects he wants to use to explore his musical ideas. He's in a (completely had fought and deserved) ideal position just now.

Regards

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back