advertisement

What are you reading these days?

The fundamental point that MES makes is that The Fall's songs are funny (or funn-eh, as he would have said). The book is also very funny.

I had a quick browse through Julian Cope's 'Head-On' yesterday. That's another funny book, and Cope has some kind words to say about MES.

I had a quick browse through Julian Cope's 'Head-On' yesterday. That's another funny book, and Cope has some kind words to say about MES.
I enjoyed that one. I bought it as a proper book rather than some kind of digital file and thus managed to remember where it was until it was finished. With a certain amount of turning the place upside down and swearing from time to time, of course.

I remember enjoying Head-On though it's been a few years since I read it so I've completely forgotten what's actually in the book...

Evelyn Waugh - A handful of dust. Did he love or did he hate the upper classes?

I think he lusted after the upper classes, was fascinated by them, was madly in love with them, but at the same time had to somehow despise them because he was not quite "one of them." I read a biography of his once that suggested that Waugh's lifelong dream was to be 6ft 2 and a duke.

And while we are on the subject, just started re-reading, after about 20 years, Nancy Mitford's "Voltaire in Love."

"Silverview". John le Carre's last published novel. Not top notch le Carre, but still way better than most written in the genre.

It had me hooked from page 1. :)

Just finished reading a collection of articles by Bernard Levin, from 1982-83. A wonderful plunge into the world of 40 years ago, and very funny and entertaining.

Just ordered Russ Jones - A Decade in Tory, so that’s next. Should arrive tomorrow.

Of the several in the pile, tomorrow shall be a biography of Richard Trevithick (by Anthony Burton)

Concurrently revisiting (and very much enjoying) N.A.M Rodger's 'The Command of the Ocean - a naval history of Britain.' Utterly splendid.

He hated absolutely everyone.
Love all his books though except Brideshead. They are very funny.

He certainly hated Randolph Churchill. He wrote in his diary sometime in the fifties "Today Randolph had a growth removed in hospital. It was found to be non-malignant. How typical of modern science to find the only non malignant part of Randolph and remove it"

Out of fashion now but I love all his books.

Finishing Ben Macintyre’s Colditz. Some genuine pathos in there and exposes the lies/myth built around (at least) one of Britain’s popular WW2 heroes.

Just finished Ian Macewen’s The Children Act - very good. Now started Bill Bryson’s The Road to Little Dribbling which is shaping up nicely.

advertisement

Back