advertisement

What are you reading these days?

Just finished a thriller called Paganini's Ghost by Paul Adam. So so title, terrible cover but an excellent book, unpredictable, and all violin lore/business is accurate and well done. Set in Cremona, violin maker and his cop string quartet friend/co player solve a string of murders and simultaneously investigate a centuries old mystery relating to Paganini. If you like Rebus, or maybe thought Montalbano would have been better with violins, this will float your boat.

I bought The Joy of Abstraction: An Exploration of Math, Category Theory, and Life by Eugenia Cheng yesterday when I was in Waterstones. I've read the first two chapters and the adjective that keeps popping into my head is that it's interesting. It seems to be about using category mathematics to show how things are the same and how things are different, using logic and abstraction.

Somebody posted this video in the YouTube thread and it was after watching the video that I thought I'd give it a go. I had a birthday voucher to spend so that sealed the deal. Anyway, it's interesting!

The only gripe is that although she's about as English as King Charles and yet the book has been released in American English so it's math this and math that, never maths.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.'

I read 'The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy' first (should have read it second really, but not absolutely necessary) - really enjoyed it so reading the Harold Fry book which is the story that comes before the Queenie Hennessy book. Well written with great human observations.

Can also recommend 'Disclaimer' - will keep you guessing all the way through the book.
like this book. Just a simple story of kindness and determination.

I picked up a hardback copy of Glasgow's Miles Better "They Said It" from a charity shop this afternoon for a couple of quid. It's fascinating to see pictures of Glasgow from the early '80s and to find out what various public figures thought of Glasgow at the time: the book was published in 1986. The written content is pretty light so it's hard to say I'm reading it in any meaningful sense, but it's a keeper all the same.

The author, John Struthers, explains how the Glasgow's Miles Better marketing campaign came to be and that to get it up and running, he underwrote the project himself as Glasgow District Council was skint at the time. Plus ça change...

1404968139.0.x.jpg

Here's what Margaret Thatcher had to say:

"The people of Glasgow, whose forefathers pioneered trade routes around the world and engaged in extraordinary feats of engineering in distant countries are now putting these same qualities to work in successfully transforming Glasgow itself into a city equipped to meet the challenges of today.

Much has been done, and though there is still much to do, the evidence of change, of progress, of sheer dogged determination and hard work is there for all to see. Look around at the old, restored and renovated, marching in step with the new and the innovative. Enjoy the art galleries and museums with their world famous collections. Sample the opera, the music, the theatre, the ballet. Walk in the beautiful parks and gardens which lie both in and around the city.

But most importantly, talk to the people. You will find them fiercely proud of their city, and rightly so.

They will tell you in no uncertain terms, why they say Glasgow's miles better."

I didn't exactly rejoice when she passed away but reading these words now... let's just say there's as sweet as raw crab apple!

Been searching for an alternative naval romp to P O'Brien, and discovered that...
there isn't one. But am enjoying Julian Stockwin's Thomas Kidd series. It has the nautical detail of O'Brien, some interesting (tho more contrived) characters imo, but enjoyable anyway. And there's LOADS of them. I'll be still reading at christmas ;)

Been searching for an alternative naval romp to P O'Brien, and discovered that...
there isn't one. But am enjoying Julian Stockwin's Thomas Kidd series. It has the nautical detail of O'Brien, some interesting (tho more contrived) characters imo, but enjoyable anyway. And there's LOADS of them. I'll be still reading at christmas ;)

Alexander Kent’s Richard Bolitho and Dudley Pope’s Ramage Series are worth reading, especially the former, But I agree nothing really compares to Patrick O’Brien.

Allan Mallinson’s Hervey series albeit about a Napoleonic Cavalry officer are very good with the same attention to detail as POB.

Eric Newby?
The Last Grain Race

Reading ‘A Man Called Ove’, which became the film ‘A Man Called Otto’ (set in the US rather than the book’s Sweden). Loved the film and am loving the book even more (it’s funnier, and quirkier, but also a tad darker, so has more depths than the film). Lent to me by a colleague who has just announced that she is leaving for another job soon, and as my wife wants to read it after me, I have to crack on.

Reading ‘A Man Called Ove’, which became the film ‘A Man Called Otto’ (set in the US rather than the book’s Sweden). Loved the film and am loving the book even more (it’s funnier, and quirkier, but also a tad darker, so has more depths than the film). Lent to me by a colleague who has just announced that she is leaving for another job soon, and as my wife wants to read it after me, I have to crack on.

There is a Swedish 'A Man Called Ove' movie. Should be available on DVD (if you remember that format ;) ).

Currently I'm doing 'Fall of giants' by Follett. 99% the same as every other Follet story...

Just finished reading, for the 3rd time, Hugh Trevor-Roper's "The Last Days of Hitler" and was struck by how beautifully he writes. Not only is it a very precise, carefully documented work of research, in which the available sources are checked against each other very rigorously, but it is elegantly and thoughtfully written. Amazing, considering that the job was done in a rush right after the German surrender and that he was working on orders from British Army Intelligence.

Greene is undoubtedly one of the greats. But in recent years I've not read him because of a sense of angst and tragedy that is almost always part of the atmosphere. I suppose I've become an emotional coward.

Try Monsignor Quixote - a very amusing gem. Just right for the times. I had no idea Graham Green had written anything like it. I hadn't read Green for years. This arrived from a friend a couple of weeks. A delightful surprise.

Samuel Bjork - I’m Travelling Alone

The Boy in the Headlights

The Wolf

Just finished the above scandi noir crime thrillers.
Will appeal to Jo Nesbo readers

I’m reading The Glucose Revolution which I think was recommended in a food thread, or more to the point I’m trying to put it into practise with minimal carb intake. Hard to know which of very bad flu, eating less and eating better takes most credit but I’m about 3kg lighter in one week, so even if the diet lightly contributed I have a good start to things.

I thought I understood plenty about food but had a real blind spot on carbs, glucose and the plethora of issues I’m learning about. It’s certainly making trips to the supermarket interesting which suddenly feel 80% full of stuff that perpetuates an unhealthy cycle.

advertisement

Back