advertisement

What are you reading these days?

I'm reading A Few Collectors by the late Pierre Le-Tan. Charmingly written accounts of his encounters with obsessive collectors. I especially like the chap who collected bit of crumpled paper and carefully displayed them in his living room. Amazon.
If obsessive collectors are your bag, you might enjoy Utz by Bruce Chatwin. But I have to concede that it is probably the least rewarding of his books that I have read.

Bob Mortimer , “the satsuma complex “ problem is after reading you end up using bobs odd expressions!

Finished Kate Atkinson’s Transcription which, as a slow burner, went from quite good to very good.
Now cantering through this. It’s an unremarkable diary but as I read I hear in my mind Bennett’s narration which makes it much more satisfying:

Slightly feverish with a horrible virus, I’m finding Our Share of Night by Mariana Enriquez genuinely quite disturbing: occult shenanigans set in Argentina at the time of the military dictatorship. Very good.

Our Share of Night https://amzn.eu/d/6b6TtdQ

Bob Dylan - The Philosophy of Modern Song
I thought it was an entertaining read, some interesting insightful pieces and a few that aren't. The pictures are great! I think one of the basic requirements of a music book is to make you want to listen to the music being discussed and it did that for me, a CD or something of all the tracks would be a good addition.

Currently reading my way though:

A) The "Inspector West" series (old paperbacks) by John Creasy for enjoyment.

B) "23 things they don't tell you about captialism" by Ha-Joon Chang to enjoy the way he documents the sheer idiotic fantasy that is 'mainstream neoliberal' economics by pointing out its flaws and how mere reality differs from the delusions.

Re-reading ‘A History of Histories’ by John Burrow. Excellent survey of the development of writings about history from Herotodus to (more or less) the present day.

Before that I read ‘The Tiger in the Smoke’, a crime novel by Margery Allingham.

(Also reading Trollope's Pallister novels, but they're on Kindle, so don''t really count).

Last edited:
Alex Pheby, Mordew. It's a bit Mervyn Peake-lite, and I'm not sure if it will sustain itself as a trilogy, but it's not bad

Just finished Rabbit Redux by John Updike & will probably go for something a little lighter next.

I do recommend the Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman very well written & a little deeper than expected.

The first Rabbit book is great. It's rapidly diminishing returns after that. The third and fourth are pretty appalling in every way.

advertisement

Back