advertisement

What are you reading these days?

Yeh, read it years ago and I remember it as being a bit of a slog.
Yea, not a long book but I found it difficult to read in places, it also doesn’t really have chapters. Like many, I don’t have the time to read indefinitely so some natural gaps are welcome.

I do recommend the Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman very well written & a little deeper than expected.

It looks like the sort of thing I'd enjoy - might borrow from the library if they have it.

Currently reading an Agatha Raisin mystery and enjoying it more than I probably should admit.

The first Rabbit book is great. It's rapidly diminishing returns after that. The third and fourth are pretty appalling in every way.
I've only read the first two*, but obviously read them a lot when I first bought them; my copy of Rabbit Redux is actually falling to pieces.

* I tried reading 'Rabbit is Rich' but gave up after a couple of chapters.

On a recent trip to London my wife and I accidently went into Waterstones in Piccadilly:rolleyes: - That is our Christmas day sorted.
Agree about the Richard Osman books, easy reading, entertaining and well observed. I can say that I looked down on him in Fortnam and Masons last Friday (he was coming up the spiral stairs:))

IMG-20221221-125047-HDR.jpg

While Paris Slept. A WW2 French railway worker, maintaining a line that runs east out of Paris under the control of the nazis, trains frequently loaded with Jews, rumours abound as to where they are going. One mother with a 3 week old baby realises where she is going, forces her child into the railway worker's arms before she boards. He then flees with the baby and his girlfriend, eventually to America. But 10 years later he learns the mother is still alive and wants her child back.

Page turner!

Last edited:
Just finished Crackpot: The Obsessions of John Waters (Amazon) which made me smile a lot.

Just started Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection (Amazon) - a collection of all the short stories previously published in the special editions of the books. I love the Rivers Of London series so have been saving this one!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
3148pyWpARL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sounds dull but it's a superbly readable account of how the Treasury has shaped economic policy, and politics generally, since the IMF bailout on the 1970s. Davis interviewed every Chancellor, going back to Geoffrey Howe, and dozens of senior Treasury officials, for the book, so there are lots of fascinating insights into what key figures thought they were doing at the time.

Highly recommended, along with Davis' previous book, Reckless Opportunists.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
3148pyWpARL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sounds dull but it's a superbly readable account of how the Treasury has shaped economic policy, and politics generally, since the IMF bailout on the 1970s. Davis interviewed every Chancellor, going back to Geoffrey Howe, and dozens of senior Treasury officials, for the book, so there are lots of fascinating insights into what key figures thought they were doing at the time.

Highly recommended, along with Davis' previous book, Reckless Opportunists.
Reading this at the moment too, essential for understanding what’s been happening to the U.K. over the last 40 years.

Reading this at the moment too, essential for understanding what’s been happening to the U.K. over the last 40 years.

I sort of feel like this is what I should be reading but I also get more than enough depressing reality already than I really know what to do with - if that makes any sense.

Books are either for study or comfort reading for me at the moment I'm afraid.

I sort of feel like this is what I should be reading but I also get more than enough depressing reality already than I really know what to do with - if that makes any sense.

Books are either for study or comfort reading for me at the moment I'm afraid.
I know what you mean but I wouldn’t say this is especially grim. Depending on your existing assessment of Britain’s political class and institutions, I guess. And it’s quite a pacy read, lots of interview material.

Was: Renegade by Mark E Smith

Is: White Noise by Don DeLillo

Will be: Underworld by Don DeLillo

Also: various detective novels on the Kindle.

by JR Ellis.

Kindly bought for me for Christmas by my sister. It's set in Wharfedale around Bolton Abbey, places we went to often when we were children. Even Bramhope and the Otley Road get a mention. :)

God, it's a turgid read. Talk about clunky prose and cardboard-cut-out characters ...

(I haven't worked out how it was done, though !)

Just finished Bob Mortimer’s autobiography. An easy read and I knew a fair bit of the content already but still good fun.

I'm a fan but when I tried reading this years ago I struggled to get past a few chapters. Maybe I should try again...

I'd suggest skipping the first couple of chapters, and go straight to the childhood/teenage years bit.

Have you read The Fallen? That's on my 'will get round to' list.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1847671446/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Not yet. I've got a queue of books to be read that will take me through till the end of Feb!

advertisement

Back