advertisement

What are you reading right now?

Have just finished 'Great Unsolved Crimes', and am about to embark on the Letters of Horace Walpole.

Don Juan de la Mancha by Robert Menasse.

A novel in which I have a particular interest as it was translated by my brother-in-law. It's a study of sexual angst through the experiences of a 50 year old newspaper journalist, Nathan, who is suffering a mid-life crisis. He recounts his life through an ad hoc journal while examining his relationship with his parents: a father who sought happiness through women and a mother who found only unhappiness in men. Predictably Nathan ends up doing everything the same - Freud would have had a field day. Recommended but it might change your view of chillis!

The Voynich Manuscript. Interesting, and I don't see why so many people seem to find it hard going.

voynich_manuscript.png

Have just finished the Letters of Arthur Conan Doyle, and 'The Secret History' by Procopius.

Am about to start 'The Alexiad' by Anna Comnena, possibly followed by 'Hackney: That Rose-Red Empire' by Iain Sinclair.

I'm reading Tiger's The Billionaire's Vinegar - The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine post.

It's a short, pithy line but somewhat lacking in character development and drama.

Joe

I'm reading Tiger's The Billionaire's Vinegar - The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine post.

It's a short, pithy line but somewhat lacking in character development and drama.

Joe

Joe, don't worry. I'm going to develop the characters further but you may have to find this on other threads and piece the story together. Best not to give too much away too soon.

Was: Nick Hornby, Juliet, Naked. A long-winded way of saying life can be changed, but laugh-out-loud funny in quite a few places.

Is: Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol. Hollow.

Was: Peter Hook - The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club. Surprisingly readable, very honest & quite shocking. Some revelations are rumoured to have resulted in new police & HMRC enquiries!

Is: Stephen Baxter - Manifold: Time. Hard sci-fi at its best, but not to everyone's taste.

Is: John Naish, Enough.

Intermittently: Don Breithaupt and Jeff Breithaupt, Precious and Few: Pop Music of the Early 70ies

advertisement

Back