advertisement

What are you reading right now?

Drei Männer im Schnee, by Erich Kästner.

A German classic from 1934. A fairy tale for adults, and later made into a really nice film.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman - I like this adult, post-modernist fairy-tale genre and this is good, but fails to challenge the truly remarkable Princess Bride by William Goldman.

A.A. Gill - The Angry Island...very enjoyable...don't agree with everything but particually like his piece on 'Political Correctness'

Paul

John Steinbeck - The Wayward Bus.

I'm reading it very slowly to absorb every word, because it creates scenes of such delicacy that it has to be savoured, and I have a first edition that a friend gave me, so the whole experience is very indulgent.

Just finished reading Murakami's Kafka on the Shore (there's a lot of Murakami in this thread...). Excellent. Must pick up some of his other novels, to date I've mainly read the short stories.

Next, Fiona Pitt-Kethley, Baker's Dozen. I like F P-K, she can write, she's smart, she's posh, and she's very mucky. What's not to enjoy? :)

Next, Fiona Pitt-Kethley, Baker's Dozen. I like F P-K, she can write, she's smart, she's posh, and she's very mucky. What's not to enjoy? :)

well, in July 2002, Fiona Pitt-Kethley moved with her family from Hastings to a half-finished house in southern Spain as it says here

John Steinbeck - The Wayward Bus.

I'm reading it very slowly to absorb every word, because it creates scenes of such delicacy that it has to be savoured, and I have a first edition that a friend gave me, so the whole experience is very indulgent.

"Indulgent" is a good word to describe a lot of Steinbeck, his language is fantastic. I also like Tortilla Flat and especially Cannery Row, they are great and IMO better than Wayward Bus. Grapes of Wrath is his finest but don't expect it to be indulgent or happy.

I can't get on with Hemingway though, OTOH, even though both are men writing for men about men in a man's world.

The latest by Marian Keyes (and yes, I read Kitty to as a young boy). So far, 300 pages in to it, I don't have clue to where the plot is.

JohanR

Just finished reading Murakami's Kafka on the Shore (there's a lot of Murakami in this thread...). Excellent.
Indeed. His books aren't really to my taste (much better in French translation than in English FWIW), he used to run a "jazz kissaten" and is a big fan of JBLs :) Miho is a big Murakami fan, ergo...

advertisement

Back