advertisement

What are you reading right now?

I'm about three quarters of the way through The Septology by Jon Fosse and am still unsure whether it's brilliant or annoying.

I read this a year or so back in the three separate editions. I was introduced to him ( and a lot of other great books) via a subscription to Fitzcarraldo. I found myself utterly absorbed by its mood and tone and had a real sense of loss when I got to the end. Mind you, I then bought the set for a friend who usually has a similar taste in books to me and he didn't get on with it at all.

There's a good podcast discussion with Damian Searles, the translator here, talking about working with Fosse

Across the Pond: Ep. 43 Damion Searls, "A New Name" (Jon Fosse) on Apple Podcasts

I've got Melancholy on the shelf but the title feels like it might almost be a pastiche of Fosse so I'm holding back from it for a while. The shorter Aliss at the Fire was good but felt rather like a recyling of New Name in miniature.

I find pretty much any Fitzcarraldo book is worth the price of entry but now pick them up at our local indie rather than subscribing

Last edited:
Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. Given it's what Blade Runner is based on I'm surprised it's taken me this look to actually read it.

I've been spending the afternoon sitting in the garden reading Deborah Levy's latest novel August Blue. However this hasn't been entirely easy as our new neighbours are having some very noisy renovation and landscaping work done which has already gone on for 3 months. I realise there's no way of doing it quietly but it is more than a bit intrusive, especially on lovely summer days

"The Instructions" by Adam Levin. It has really captivated me so far.

It seems next to impossible to get a reasonably priced paper copy in the UK (a reprint that I pre-ordered on Amazon just got pushed back again, this time to the end of the year). An ebook is easily sourced though.

advertisement

Back