1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by sideshowbob, Apr 9, 2005.

1. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Chomsky. Manufacturing consent

2. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

[​IMG]

A book I very much enjoyed. Gaiman is incapable of writing a comedy novel without a bit of horror creeping in, but this is still a very funny and strangely uplifting book. Highly recommended.

3. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I am currently addicted to Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels. Minor classics of the modern noir/crime genre and well worth it if you like that sort of thing.

Connelly also wrote for The Wire as well which is how I ended up getting into his books.

4. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Christmas present 1: Currently enjoying "The Olivetti Chronicles", a collection of John Peel's newspaper articles. As a non rock fan, I listened to him little and read him less in life. However, this is a great read. He's entertaining and writes beautifully. Recommended.

5. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Christmas present 2: Just read "Things Aint What They Used To Be" by Philip Glennister the bloke off Life on Mars. I anticipated reading this trip down 70s and 80s memory lane with much relish; and was thoroughly disappointed. Scant research, poor writing and no development of themes. This subject deserved to be done well, too.

Not recommended.

6. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

"How to win friends and influence people" ... no joke, and it's a very informative and entertaining read. If only I had read it 20 yrs ago.

"The hippopotamus" by Stephen Fry. Early days and so far I'm not sold on it. I was hoping for a mix of Evelyn Waugh and P.G.Wodehouse, but so far it's all crudities attempting to pass for wit and humour.

7. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

All of the other Murakami.

8. Engels

Engels pfm Member

"Miracles of Life" JG Ballard (we are going to miss him)

9. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

The Shock Doctrine - N. Klein :O

10. jimb0

jimb0 Jelly Roll Soul

Just finished "False Dawn: The Delusions of Global Capitalism" by John Gray.

Next up B.S Johnson: Albert Angelo

11. Jenks

Jenks pfm Member

I am fighting my way slowly through Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. At time's its surrealistically brilliant, at others its a long hard slog. About 1/3 of the way through it after a month, which is really really slow for me.

12. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

The Road, Cormac McCarthy; not big on laughs this post apocalypse journey of father and son through a devastated North America but second time read for me.The unrelenting bleakness of it all is mesmerising.

13. hacker

hacker Delicious and nutritious

Something I should have read ages ago: Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

14. Jonathan Ribee

Fun stuff. Have you rad any others by him?

15. Jiiim

Jiiim bodger extraordinaire

Just read 'Snow Crash' by him. Very good indeed.

16. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I am mostly reading the third volume of 'A La Recherche du Temps Perdu', intermingled with 'The Anatomy of Melancholy' and an Agatha Christie whodunnit for light relief.

17. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

I'm reading "The Murder Exchange" by Simon Kernick. If you're only ever going to read one of his books, it should be "Relentless" because that one is unputdownable.

18. Jonathan Ribee

Jeez - avoid high buildings, bridges etc.

19. AlexG

AlexG ...

69, Coin Locker Babies and all that?

Good stuff, but hard going at times.

Neal Stephenson is well worth a go.

For me....currently reading 'Restless' by William Boyd. s'alright.

20. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I did read it 20 years ago (nearer 25 years ago in fact). Not sure it did me any good though.