advertisement

What are you reading right now?

413SXKVMGXL._SS500_.jpg

A book I very much enjoyed. Gaiman is incapable of writing a comedy novel without a bit of horror creeping in, but this is still a very funny and strangely uplifting book. Highly recommended.

I am currently addicted to Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels. Minor classics of the modern noir/crime genre and well worth it if you like that sort of thing.

Connelly also wrote for The Wire as well which is how I ended up getting into his books.

Christmas present 1: Currently enjoying "The Olivetti Chronicles", a collection of John Peel's newspaper articles. As a non rock fan, I listened to him little and read him less in life. However, this is a great read. He's entertaining and writes beautifully. Recommended.

Christmas present 2: Just read "Things Aint What They Used To Be" by Philip Glennister the bloke off Life on Mars. I anticipated reading this trip down 70s and 80s memory lane with much relish; and was thoroughly disappointed. Scant research, poor writing and no development of themes. This subject deserved to be done well, too.

Not recommended.

"How to win friends and influence people" ... no joke, and it's a very informative and entertaining read. If only I had read it 20 yrs ago.

"The hippopotamus" by Stephen Fry. Early days and so far I'm not sold on it. I was hoping for a mix of Evelyn Waugh and P.G.Wodehouse, but so far it's all crudities attempting to pass for wit and humour.

Just finished "False Dawn: The Delusions of Global Capitalism" by John Gray.

Next up B.S Johnson: Albert Angelo

I am fighting my way slowly through Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. At time's its surrealistically brilliant, at others its a long hard slog. About 1/3 of the way through it after a month, which is really really slow for me.

The Road, Cormac McCarthy; not big on laughs this post apocalypse journey of father and son through a devastated North America but second time read for me.The unrelenting bleakness of it all is mesmerising.

I am mostly reading the third volume of 'A La Recherche du Temps Perdu', intermingled with 'The Anatomy of Melancholy' and an Agatha Christie whodunnit for light relief.

I'm reading "The Murder Exchange" by Simon Kernick. If you're only ever going to read one of his books, it should be "Relentless" because that one is unputdownable.

advertisement

Back