advertisement

What are you listening to right now #9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sussan Deyhim and Richard Horowitz - Majoun .

Very Arabic in flavour (Sussan is Iranian by birth). Excellent music here and will likely appeal to those who liked some of the latter suggestions on the "...Asian Underground" thread. Currently listening to "Kye Kye" (with Doug Wimbish - bass fans!), wonderful! To top it all, there is some atmospheric cello / violin playing here. Only a fiver, incl p&p from the good ole USA!

AlexG said:
Some notable PFMers like this and not Bright Eyes. This makes no sense - they are indistinguishable.
The difference is that OR are cool and CO is not. OR are from Austin and CO is from Nebraska. It's easy. ;-)

My main problem with CO is that he is self-absorbed and not much fun to listen to. I get the feeling he buys into the idea that he's the next coming of The Great Bob Dylan.

rod said:
Yeah! Anywhere near you? Get to it!
Bloody hell. Portland in late April... suppose I might just have to. At least Buck will be there, so I won't be the oldest cat in the venue. ;-)

Now playing: Kenny Wheeler, Bill Frisell, Lee Konitz, etc. - Angel Song

kasperhauser said:
...so I won't be the oldest cat in the venue. ;-)
Ho-ho! I had you pinned as a youngster...

For those BOC diehards, there is a reissue of archival live recordings due out, according to AMG. I think the first disc is the same source as The Thing bootleg. Does anyone know anything about the second set, apparently released in 2003?

Of more interest is the forthcoming remastering of Spectres and Some Enchanted Evening. Both will contain extra tracks as well, and will particularly make sense for the live ...Evening, which was only released as a single album. Due out in "the fall" according to the band's website .

TV Personalities, The Painted Word. Such a fabulous, dark record. A lost classic, I love it more every time I play it.

-- Ian

Mouth of the Architect - Time and Withering

Nice and doomy. Sounds like they're tuned all the way down to B-flat. Like the music; still not a fan of the "demonic growl" vocal style.

kasperhauser said:
Mouth of the Architect - Time and Withering

Nice and doomy. Sounds like they're tuned all the way down to B-flat. Like the music; still not a fan of the "demonic growl" vocal style.
I like the sound of this album, but I am really hacked off by this comedic form of "singing".

Now on: - Jaco Pastorius - Invitation

Great album. He can fairly play, can he not. I remember reading an interview with him in a 1977 issue of Beat Instrumental. Funny how I can remember this, but not what I was up to last week.

rod said:
I like the sound of this album, but I am really hacked off by this comedic form of "singing".
Yeah. Thankfully, it's kept to a minimum here. Mostly just complex, shifting metalwork. Pretty chill album really, for the genre.

Currently: Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debbie

Is: Democracy Now! daily podcast. I've been listening to this and The Newshour w/ Jim Lehrer every night. But no music lately.

Will Be: NPR All Songs Considered weekly podcast, with new Cat Power, Mark Lanegan w/ Isobel Campbell (of Belle and Sebastian), and miscellaneous other stuff.

Slade - Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply

Will be: Waterboys - not sure which; probably Live Adventures of...

(PS- Who's this Mal McNulty who has taken over vocals in lieu of Noddy? It ain't right, I tell ya'...)

The Boys - Alternative Chartbusters !!
The Sundays - Can't Be Sure.

First two records pulled at random from my vinyl .

Glenda

After all the rude bass talk on here recently and filthy bass/cabinet pics in the DIY section,, I'm having a "Bassists who seemed cool and even a bit menacing in my youth but alternatively may look a bit silly in retrospect" sesh:

Was: New Order - Brotherhood
Is: Stranglers - Black & White (Toiler On The Sea is still fab)
Will be: The Clash - Sandinista!, well bits of it anyway, then maybe Queens Of the Stone Age to follow.

kev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back