advertisement

What are you listening to right now #9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John C

pfm Member
Warne Marsh -- The eponymous Atlantic albums on the Tristano, Konitz, Marsh Mosaic are a good starting point. I can only recommend what I have so: All Music on the estimable Nessa label, Ne Plus Ultra on Hat Hut (a real gem) and various Criss Crosses .. Star High, Back Home, Blues for a reason. Frankly I buy everything with his name on it.The Wave albums are really intereresting, recorded by Peter Ind. If you were around Hoxton before it was "Hoxton" in the eighties you probably went to the Bass Clef Ind's jazz club.

Where's Vuk, where's Shahreza these days?

John C said:
Warne Marsh -- The eponymous Atlantic albums on the Tristano, Konitz, Marsh Mosaic are a good starting point. I can only recommend what I have so: All Music on the estimable Nessa label, Ne Plus Ultra on Hat Hut (a real gem) and various Criss Crosses .. Star High, Back Home, Blues for a reason. Frankly I buy everything with his name on it.The Wave albums are really intereresting, recorded by Peter Ind. If you were around Hoxton before it was "Hoxton" in the eighties you probably went to the Bass Clef Ind's jazz club.

Cheers John. I remember the Bass Clef. My only Marsh is on various records with Tristano and Konitz, will hunt down some of this other stuff, he's been on my list of things to explore for a while.

-- Ian

'Cool Rock' Duke Ellington. No idea of the provenance. But it was £3.99 ten or more years ago....

Paul

John C said:
Warne Marsh - All Music on the estimable Nessa label

Constantly name checked by Anthony Braxton, thought I'd take a chance on this earlier this year. Nice bouncy west coast feel (IMO), great analogue recording too. Just starting to get to grips with Lee Konitz's Lone - Lee on Steeplechase. I seem to remember Konitz critisizing Braxton's playing of a standard in a Wire mag Jukebox feature (long ago) and remember reading recently that AB was'nt too happy about it. All I know is I love them both playing standards.

dave

Bub's being provocative methinks

Good session over the last few hours

The Fall - Fall Heads Roll
Portishead - Portishead
Procol Harum - A Salty Dog
Martin Taylor - Don't Fret!
Johnny Cash - Now There Was A Song
Pinski Zoo - Rare Breeds
Duke Ellington - Ellington At Newport

All on vinyl apart from Johnny Cash. Haven't played the excellent Pinski Zoo for yonks, possibly 10 years, does anyone know anything about them?

Andy

Just had a buddy over who wanted to try his iPod through a hifi system. After lots of his stuff (joel-type worldly tunes), it was samples of:

John Lee Hooker- The Very Best of...
MIA- Arular (I kept wanting tracks to be the versions from Piracy Funds Terrorism)
Labradford- Mi media naranja
Bedhead- Transaction de Novo
The Fall- The Rough Trade Anthology
My Bloody Valentine- Isn't Anything

Good times. I am really loving my recent old skool blues comp purchases.

PS- Ian it is funny you mention Eno today, as just this morning I was eyeing all my Eno albums thinking "I should listen to them soon". He is a relatively new find for me, though.

ErikL said:
Good times. I am really loving my recent old skool blues comp purchases.

Erik, then you should chek this out --although at $70 apparently not on vinyl.

http://www.musicstack.com/item.cgi?f=1&aid=z&item=87145320&band=Howlin'+Wolf,muddy+Waters.bo+Diddley

dn'l

ps - the 'wreck the halls' blows this year

AndyFelin said:
Haven't played the excellent Pinski Zoo for yonks, possibly 10 years, does anyone know anything about them?

Led by Jan Kopinski (Nottingham based I think), saw them live many years back at one of the Grimsby jazz festivals. One of my most exciting gigs ever. Nearly blew the f*****g marquee apart. IMMSMW, harmalodic late Trane with groove. In the same marquee Lol Coxhill (who also mc'eed the fest) impro'ed with percussionist Roger Turner. And I think Humphrey Lyttleton topped the bill. Now there's diversity for you.

dave

This

Seems about right for a bright Sunday morning when I'm working.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
dave charlton said:
Led by Jan Kopinski (Nottingham based I think), saw them live many years back at one of the Grimsby jazz festivals. One of my most exciting gigs ever. Nearly blew the f*****g marquee apart. IMMSMW, harmalodic late Trane with groove.

As well as Coltrane there also seems a hefty dose of late Miles, Weathereport and James Brown type Funk - Great Stuff. Found a bit about them on the Web and they don't seem to have put out a record since '93 although they still perform live occasionally. A Guardian review of a gig in '03 said they were loud and difficult.

Andy

Serge Reggiani - Le Chanson Lush, poetic, cinematic, gorgeous, melancholic and triste.

Was:
B0000020T3.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Then:
72385401_73ae253371.jpg

Now:
mfsw_large.gif

Which is a compilation of various whimpy/indie noodling by some simpering Americans and the odd nutjob from Japan. Ace.

See http://www.fiveoneinc.com/mfsw.htm

Is : Babyshambles - Down in Albion

S'ok I guess. Not anywhere near as bad as the reviews make out, but not really that good either. I reckon some reviewers slagged it off because it's 'trendy' to have a go at Pete Doherty.

**** Forever is excellent, it has to be said.

Nice bike MR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back