advertisement

What are you listening to right now #6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian-

Did you at least appreciate the hippy era album cover? Nothing like a spooky forest photo of a group of stoners on 'shrooms.

PS- Matthew, see Devendra live if possible. He's a very witty and funny man.

Yes, reminded me a bit of a couple of Captain Beefheart covers, which is no bad thing. But the archness of the music was a bit too, well, arch, if you know what I mean. He needs to spend a while getting his lights punched out, I reckon, it might be the making of him.

-- Ian

Was: Ellington at Newport 1956....ahh! what an absolute classic.

Is going to be in a minute: White Stripes 1 st Album...raw and lovely stuff

Paul

Sundays I tend to weed out stuff that I don't know why I own, to see if I like it and list it on Amazon if I don't want to keep it.

Has been:

Electrelane : The Power Out (jury out)
Elbow : Asleep At The Back (why do people go nuts over this? I just don't see it. I mean, it's alright I suppose...)

alexgerrard said:
Sundays I tend to weed out stuff that I don't know why I own, to see if I like it and list it on Amazon if I don't want to keep it.

I tend to dig out the stuff I love but don't have time to play. Today it's been:
Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise - might well be my fave record of this year
Monk: Brilliant Corners
Bill Frisell: Quartet
Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Tom Waits: Mule Variations
Also watched MOTD twice to see the country's finest come from behind to beat Charlton. Fabulous!

Know what you mean about Elbow. I've got their second record, can't recall the title , picked up in a sale after lots of mates talked it up. 6/10 all the way through.

The Fall - Extricate. Seriously underrated by me - this is brilliant! As is the engineers credit "some guys wearing pony tails"!

Cheers

Rich

Was: Beethoven Late Piano Sonatas (Pollini), then Elliot Smith "XO"
Is: Ted Leo & The Pharmacists- Heart of Oak (really nice, straight-ahead guitar-driven indie pop, for those unfamiliar)
Will Be: Something to evaluate as keep/sell, as Alex G has me thinking I can shed some stuff

Okay, lots of Brazilian pop crap for sale as a result of the above.

Was: X- Los Angeles
Is: Damien Jurado*- Rehearsals For Departure
Will Be: Deadly Snakes or The Dirtbombs

*Damien is an often overlooked but outstanding Seattle songwriter who blends folk and pop styles, plays with emotion and beauty (often in a dark, desperate sense), and sings live with a pull of chew in his cheek. I think a lot of people here would dig him. He takes his business very seriously, but is also likeable as he's an average Joe type.

Swami Pete said:
Heads Roll

It's out on vinyl too-mor-eh

Bought it today from Selectadisc! Tis a wonderful thing buying the new Fall LP on the day of release - haven't done it for too many years. Here's hoping its up there with the great Fall albums.

Cheers

Rich

Free - Free (Remastered)

I haven't heard this for yonks, but I am quite enjoying it now.

I think Yanqui UXO will be next. Or Frog Pocket - Gonglot, woo! major label release for the boy from Ayr... (Well, Planet Mu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back