advertisement

What are you listening to right now #5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy McGriff's Fly Dude. scorching B3 / leslie action. Gives me goosebumps.

Ghetto Pop Life by DangerMouse and Jemini. EXCELLENT! idiots like 50 cent give hip hop a bad name. These guys are serious TALENT! check out anything on Lex Records. Not only do they put out superb underground / intelligent musicc, the packaging is nice. Think 4AD with a inner city twist.

On before: Zero 7, Simple Things
On before that: John Lee Hooker, Mr Lucky
On now: Air, Premieres Symptomes
On after this: Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder, Talking Timbuktu

With music like this, TV is redundant.

On the ipod at work at the moment is a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers compilation i've done(currently playing The Waiting);next up will be a laydeez session with Electrelane and Martha Wainright.
Barry.

The Fall - Slates (10") followed by XTC- Black Sea (LP). Early 80's was cool!

Cheers

Rich

Working through some nice bargain-bin weirdness:

Orange Can – Entrance High Rise, an excellent album - I was well chuffed to find it and even more surprised to find it plays from the inside out, i.e. you start it in the run-off!

Hovercraft – Stereo Specific Polymerization 10”, again this is bloody excellent, I’ve got two of their albums on CD, but this may actually be better. Noisy spacey post-rock.

Elevated – Magic Spirit 10” (I think this is what it’s called), a beautiful Ltd 10” in a hand made painted / collaged sleeve that appears to originate from Liverpool. Seven wonderfully distorted space-post type tracks with some superbly nasty guitar noise.

Mad Action – Just Like Fresh Air, a weird one sided promo album, 8 tracks on siude A, none on side B, sounds a bit Badly Drawn Boy meets T. Rex, and is possibly pretty good.

The Sound Barrier – The Suburbia Suite, mid 80s kind of lounge-core type stuff, haven’t worked out if I like it yet – it’s clever, possibly too clever.

A good day’s buying for both keepers and stock.

Tony.

Woke up listening to Snadie Shaw doing Lloyd Cole's "Are You ReadyTo Be Heartbroken" on 6Music from a 1986 Janice Long session. Can't stop singing the fecker now!

Cheers

Rich

Was: Sahara, Blues of the Desert. A collection of contempory music from around the Sahara region, or otherwise influenced.
Was: Ali Farka Toure - Red
Was: Ali Farka Toure - Green
Is: DJ Cheb I Sabbah - Krishna Lila

is: Sons and Daughters - The Repulsion Box bought this yesterday and it's on its second rotation - I rather like this.

was: tori amos - under the pink
is: definition of sound - love and life
will: perhaps some dido, maybe some floyd... dunno yet

The definition of sound album is just pure early 90s nostalgia.

< Orchestre Vévé Yet more classic 70s pop from Zaire
> Choc Stars - Bonzenga ya Bateke Classic 70s pop from just over the river in the Congo.
IT's all brilliant, and much looser and funkier than 80s Papa Wemba style.

>Inta Something - Kenny Dorham & Jackie McLean another superbly lean straight-ahead hard bop set on Pacific Jazz.

Billie Holiday Greatest Hits Vol 1 - Dutch release on CLEO CL 0027683 which turns out to be a live recording from a Boston gig in Nov 1951 - and is absolutely stunning!

Cheers

Rich

Ektroverde, Ukkossalama. Spaced, very funky, jazz-funkish, Finnish. Ever so good Circle spin-off group.

-- Ian

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus by, erm... Charles Mingus (no ego problem with this dude, obviously!) as recommended a couple of pages ago (thanks Ian/SSB). Simply fantastic music and I'm only three tracks in.

Mingus Oh Yeah and Mingus plays piano are in the post, think I've got a bit of a Mingus-fest coming up this week :)

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back