advertisement

What are you listening to right now #5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was: Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up. Great stuff.
Is: Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté - In the Heart of the Moon. Loved Talking Timbuktu; Niafunké didn't really do it for me; but this one has some promise and I'm only at the start of track 2. Just the job for a hot sunny Sunday evening.
Will be: time for a bath then a random selection from my large and growing recent CD-buying frenzy.

Steve.

Chaps

Brand new boots and panties

This is one record where you whack the sound up to 12 o clock.

Well recommended.

Regards

Mick

Curiously enough, thanks to a friend's recommendation, I've just been listening to his son Baxter's album Len Parrot's Memorial Lift . It's very good (despite the fact that the man really can't sing for toffee), and with one very brief exception nothing like his Dad. That bloke from Portishead's on bits of it too.

Oh, and it cost me 80p (plus postage) from Amazon Marketplace, though I note with some chagrin that there's a copy now for 40p.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ensemble El-Moukhadrani - Chants de griots Songs of the Mauritanian iggawen.
Those who find this
46335879.jpg

beautiful will probably enjoy the music.

Was: Magazine - Correct use of soap

Now: David Axelrod - David Axelrod

Next: The Specials - More Specials

Working my way through the records I bought on tour...

< Oumou Sangare - Worotan haven't listened to this in a long time. It's a great, if rather relentlessly, upbeat album. You can see why she went into politics.

> Maleem Abdelah Ghania - Invocation: Gnawa music of Essaouira A voice, a guimbri and foot tapping. Haven't listened to this since the great Gnawa OD of 2003.

just last week i was spinning sangare's Moussolou, she's got quite a voice, though it's the bass/rhythm guitar man(or woman) who drives the music i think.

ornette coleman - golden circle vol.1

M83 : Before The Dawn Heals Us

I think I was unnecessarily harsh on this when I first got it. Having been reminded of it I now love it.

< Djoboke et le Tabou National Zaire rhumba genius. The real deal? Dunno, but it sure sounds like it.
> Mal Waldron Mal/2 Picked up this nice mono Victor pressing from '76 for a couple of quid today. Perfect for hot, slow summer nights...

Scott Walker, Tilt. A record with cabin fever, I listen to it every now and then and can never make head nor tail of it. More admirable than likeable, I prefer him when he's singing Brel.

-- Ian

Originally posted by kasperhauser
will be:

Indigo Girls - going to their outdoor concert tonight at Secret House Winery. Intimate setting, great music, great weather, a bottle of wine, and a lovely companion. Not much missing there.

Currently spinning the newest Indigo Girls release: Rarities
It's a collection of this and that, some live stuff too. Works pretty well as an album, actually. There are nice covers of the Dead's "Uncle John's Band", the Clash's "Clampdown", and (oddly enough) Rod Stewart's "I Don't Wanna Talk About It".

On a related note, the concert was fab. Very loose and relaxed, about as close as having the Indigo Girls play in your backyard as one could hope for. They sounded very good. BUT...

Why, why, why, must every event that is even remotely related to gays and lesbians be a "celebration and affirmation of the 'lifestyle'"? I mean, jesus h. christ, I've never overheard people at a Foreigner concert going on and on about how great it is to be heterosexual. Give it a rest, already. There's more to life than one's sexual orientation.

Sorry, just needed to say it.

The Homosexuals, The Homosexuals LP. One of the great unsung DIY art-punk groups. ReR have reissued just most of what they released on The Homosexuals CD, which is essential. Imagine an angrier, punkier, lo-fi version of This Heat.

-- Ian

Lisa Ekdahl – When Did You Leave Heaven

Odd. Apparently she's a pop phenom in her native Sweden. These standards may not show her in her best light; her voice is just too soft and cute for me – think Blossom Dearie meets Rickie Lee Jones. The backing musicians (Peter Nordahl Trio) are excellent, though, and the recording sounds terrific.

edit: she is hot, however, so there is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back