advertisement

What are you listening to right now # 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was visiting a friend in hospital this morning . I was amazed to see that all the patients were reciting scottish poetry, drinking whisky and eating haggis and neeps.

i asked the nurse what was going on.

she told me that this went on all the time, after all, it was the Serious Burns Unit.

aye ;)

Erik Truffaz,
Searched on Spotify this morning and he's been on all day; saw him last year at Ronnie Scott's with Talvin Singh but no sign of anything recorded with him.

Ben Folds/Nick Hornby - Lonely Avenue

On 180g Nonesuch vinyl. It's the first "modern" record I've purchased (i.e., pressed after the death of vinyl). Somewhat surprisingly, the first copy I got had a glitch and had to be swapped. The clerks were unsurprised, and said their return rate is very high on new vinyl.

Sounds great though.

edit: at it's best, this reminds me of good Elvis Costello stuff. only different. cleverly wistful, or wistfully clever.

Listening to three recent scores:

David Bowie - Young Americans - tan first pressing
McCoy Tyner - Extensions - strangest BN cover looks like Natl Geo cover
Jack DeJohnette - Pictures - nice ECM mastered by Robert Ludwig

Larry Karush and Glen Moore - May 24, 1976

On squeaky clean ECM vinyl. Not bad for a $1 bin find. Bass playing is super.

>On squeaky clean ECM vinyl. Not bad for a $1 bin find. Bass playing is super.

I love those $1 ECM bargain bin finds. Many of my ECMs are bought this way. Oddly no matter how trashed the sleeve is, the vinyl always appears unplayed. Yay for Estoteric Charming & Meandering...

OTD Alpha Centauri/Atem and Electronic Meditation - Tangerine Dream (as I get older the more i think their first three or four LPs are all anyone needs)

Enjoying Joe jackson's Night and Day II some nice self referential work and his fascination for Gershwin style orchestration really rammed home...

High point is Dear Mom but its all good.

John Martyn - One World. Off vinyl, as the otherwise nicely remastered CD has lost the bottom end.

The Phoenix Foundation, Buffalo. I have a weakness for well made Byrds-ish pop music, and this is mostly quite enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man I <3 Carrie. If it wasn't so far to Portland I would totally be her stalker.

PS Yes, Erik, I know she has a new comedy show. Proving hard to download so far though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just now: A stream of the new Mogwai single. Very dull indeed.

Right now: Anworth Kirk + Demdike Stare / Samhain Slant Azimuth (Halloween mix tape). That's more like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back