advertisement

What are you listening to right now #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Blzebub
Fahey - current?

No, he died in 2001. More info here .

IMHO he is way better than Cale, more primal (if primal is a word that can be used for the acoustic guitar, which is Fahey's main instrument) and much more interesting.

Originally posted by Markus Sauer
No, he died in 2001. More info here .

IMHO he is way better than Cale, more primal (if primal is a word that can be used for the acoustic guitar, which is Fahey's main instrument) and much more interesting.

I endorse the Fahey recommendation, but would add a cautionary note that (AFAIK) he only ever recorded instrumentals.

The mock-scholarly notes on his liner sleeves are hilarious. See for example:

http://www.johnfahey.com/pages/v3note.html

"...way better than Cale..."

He must be good, then. JJ Cale is one of my holy trinity: Van Morrison and Tom Waits being the other two.

He must be good, then. JJ Cale is one of my holy trinity: Van Morrison and Tom Waits being the other two.

I'm with you on Van Morrison and JJ Cale. Tom Waits I never could get into. I have dipped a tentative toe into Coltrane (the 'easy' stuff, such as 'Ballads') and am liking what I hear thus far. As you say, different strokes ..

"...way better than Cale..."

Tom Waits?! I take back everything I ever said about you;-)

regards,

dave

I do want to like Jazz, and yes, the 'easy' stuff like Louis Armstrong, Nina Simone, some Miles Davis, some Ellington, Billie Holliday, etc is wonderful.

But the difficult stuff is too hard for me.

P.S. dave, do you approve of Tom W?

Sonny Rollins.. The Bridge

followed by Ornette Live at the Golden Circle 1 and 2

john

All Londoners going May 2 I assume?

I do want to like Jazz, and yes, the 'easy' stuff like Louis Armstrong, Nina Simone, some Miles Davis, some Ellington, Billie Holliday, etc is wonderful.

But the difficult stuff is too hard for me.

P.S. dave, do you approve of Tom W?

Indeed I do approve of Mr. Waits..and Miles, Billie, The Duke, Satchmo, and Nina. Btw, those are some excellent starting points for getting involved with jazz. However, stay away from Mile's electric period while you first explore jazz. That period will not give you an understanding of his innovations or impact on the world of jazz. (I'm trying to be nice fusion fans)

regards,

dave

Now playing: the second side of Oscar Peterson - Night Train, picked up from Oxfam t'other day.

Next: dunno, but Van Halen - Van Halen is also in the "in" pile.

On a Jazz theme btw, if I like Oscar Peterson, who else should I look out for? (As my knowledge of Jazz would fit on a postage stamp...)

Originally posted by smee
Now playing: the second side of Oscar Peterson - Night Train, picked up from Oxfam t'other day.

Next: dunno, but Van Halen - Van Halen is also in the "in" pile.

On a Jazz theme btw, if I like Oscar Peterson, who else should I look out for? (As my knowledge of Jazz would fit on a postage stamp...)

You know, I've never listened to any Oscar Peterson except for a brief film clip years ago (and too many beers ago). Seems like he was trading licks with Thelonious Monk (piano) and Elvin Jones (drums) at the time (can't remember the bassist). Definitely doing a be-bop thing. Maybe Monk would be a starting point????

Not really related but a wonderful composer/jazz pianist with a wide range of style (and recorded output) would be Keith Jarrett. Any of his K.J. Trio recordings would be a good starting point for a taste of his more traditional stuff as well as an easy transition into jazz.

regards,

dave

Originally posted by dave
...those are some excellent starting points for getting involved with jazz. However, stay away from Mile's electric period while you first explore jazz. That period will not give you an understanding of his innovations or impact on the world of jazz.
I think I'm in the Jazz remedial class, dave. I first heard Miles Davis' Kind of Blue about 18 years ago, but have failed to make much progress beyond that, although Sketches of Spain is good.

fox & Paul Duerden have tried to educate me further with some Keith Jarrett.

How did I forget to mention Ella Fitzgerald?

Regards,

Today:

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
The Tavener Collection
Black Dog - Bytes
M Ward - Transistor Radio

Is now:

Sufjan Stevens - Michigan

Naked City, Grand Guignol. Part of Zorn's newly remastered complete Naked City box from http://www.tzadik.com/, the old versions sounded fine but the new ones are even better, the loud bits are louder, and the quiet bits are louder too, which is just as it should be. Fantastic group, one of the greatest bunch of recordings in the entire history of the universe, ever. By turns terrifying, funny, and nuts, and sometimes all three at once.

-- Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back