advertisement

What are you listening to right now #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian,

Any chance of a 'beginer's guide to Zorn' thread? I have just two LPs; The Big Gundown & Deadly Weapons, both are cool and I'd like to know more (especially about anything available on 12" music pizzas).

Tony.

I'll give it a go. He's not really a vinyl head though, none of Tzadik's releases ever get the vinyl treatment, yet I'm sure he would do it if he could be bothered. As CDs go, they're beautiful objects, some great cover art just crying out to be LP sleeves.

-- Ian (still yet to post the Trane thread he's been meaning to edit down to manageable form for months)

Was: Curtis Mayfield: Superfly
Is: Adem: Homesongs
Next: Enrico Rava: Easy Living

And can people stop going on about the 2nd May: we're expecting our latest baby on the 28th - too close for comfort. Can't really be 2 hours away. Can someone give a full write up, please.

Anyone going to Cheltenham? A better bill than usual - Ornette, Ken Vandermark, Enrico Rava..

Kevin

-- Ian (still yet to post the Trane thread he's been meaning to edit down to manageable form for months)

I'd better get cracking myself then, still buying my way through the discs mentioned in your Intro to Jazz post, and the tangents I've gone off at from there.

Now playing: A Love Supreme - deluxe edition with the remasters and live take. It's great...mostly. I'm certainly enjoying the studio version but finding the 20-minute 'freer' version of track 3 Pursuance a little 'challenging'. Still listening though, hopeI get there.

S.

Tonight I've dug out possibly the strangest cd I've got by Keith Rowe, Thomas Lehn and Marcus Schmickler. It's called Rabbit Run, has 42 short tracks and has been designed to be played using the cd players 'random' facility – an otherwise pointless button I must admit I've never considered using before. Anyway it's a glorious cacophony and lots of fun. More info (and soundbytes) from Erstwhile.

Just moved house and am waiting for the carpet fitters, so the system is still boxed-up and the iPod is doing it's stuff.

Now: Lloyd Cole - Rattlesnakes about bloody time this was included in the 'Greatest Albums Of All Time' lists, if you ask me

Next: not sure exactly what's on the pod at the moment so will have to see.

ss

Originally posted by alexgerrard
I'm taunting you with it.

:p

Fine.

But your football club will continue its free fall.

<Tightly closes eyes, arms out, palms up, and channels energy to all League One opposition>

Originally posted by Blzebub
I think I'm in the Jazz remedial class, dave. I first heard Miles Davis' Kind of Blue about 18 years ago, but have failed to make much progress beyond that, although Sketches of Spain is good.

fox & Paul Duerden have tried to educate me further with some Keith Jarrett.

How did I forget to mention Ella Fitzgerald?

Regards,

Bub,

Try Miles' Cookin' at the Plugged Nickel, The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four and More, or Live at The Plaza Vol. 1 . All three disks are a good intro to Miles. KoB and Sketches of Spain are both monumental Miles recordings but the three I just mentioned will show you another side of the man. Incredible energy as he and his sidemen tear down the house!

regards,

dave

Originally posted by dave

Try Miles' Cookin' at the Plugged Nickel, The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four and More, or Live at The Plaza Vol. 1 . All three disks are a good intro to Miles....
Cheers, dude.

Originally posted by dave charlton
|<< Solal-Konitz-Scofield-Orsted Pederson ~ Four Keys

Dave,

could you give a little more info about this one? It sounds like it could be my cup of tea.........

cheers
Matt

Originally posted by dave
Try Miles' Cookin' at the Plugged Nickel, The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four and More, or Live at The Plaza Vol. 1 . All three disks are a good intro to Miles.
These are all superb recordings, especiually the Plugged set IMHO.
For Miles' more reflective (acoustic) side, I don't think you can beat ESP.

ON deck:
<<| VA -- An Anthology of North Indian Classical Music vols II & III on Musicaphon
<<| VA - Kashmir: Traditional Songs and Dances Vol. II on Nonesuch Another wonderfulk David Lewiston recording. This is where Indian, Chinese and Islamic music gently blend...
> VA - Musique populaire du Rajasthan on Ocora A brilliant album, beautifully recorded and "stereo compatible" too :)
>>| Jogjakarta Royal Palace Gamelan Orchestra - Concert Music on Ocora This album has been in shrink wrap for nearly 25 years waiting for me to play it. I shall be using the annointed, ritual implement to breach the holy shrink wrap.

Was: Chopin Ballades (Ashkenazy)
Is: Chopin Ballades (Perahia) Murray Perahia just edging it at the moment.
Will be: Piano lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back