advertisement

What are you listening to right now #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

space cadet

dronefed and floating
Originally posted by sideshowbob
Sounds serious. I suggest seeing a doctor immediately.

Henry Flynt, Graduation and Other New Country and Blues Music. The master of hillbilly art-drone music. Exceptional record, includes the awe-inspiring "Celestial Power".

http://www.henryflynt.org/

-- Ian

I like the sound of hillbilly art-drone a lot. Another one for my mental list then... cheers!

Still listening to Joanna Newsome... does anyone else find her voice somewhat addictive? Y'know, you go to your record shelf, not quite sure what to stick on, and you just can't help yourself.

She should be bigger than Björk.

space cadet, the ones to go for first if you can find them are Back Porch Hillbilly Blues, Vols 1 and 2. Locust (http://www.locustmusic.com/) put them out on 2 CDs, but I think they might be out of print. However, a small label called Bo Weavil Recordings are releasing numbered limited edition vinyl pressings of most of Flynt's output. The website isn't functional ATM (http://www.boweavilrecordings.com/), but if you can't track them down, give Ray's Jazz Shop in Charing Cross Rd a phone call, because the guy who runs Bo Weavil works there, and they usually have a few copies in stock.

Graduation was put out by Ampere a few years ago, not sure if that's still in print either, but also well worth tracking down.

The most recent Locust release by Flynt, I Don't Wanna, is a different kettle of fish - a 1960s recording of an art-punk garage band he put together, The Insurrections. Like a really shambolic version of the early Velvet Underground (Lou Reed taught Flynt how to play guitar, so no big surprise there I guess).

-- Ian

Earlier: Coheed & Cambria - "Second Stage Turbine Blade"

Now playing: Whiskeytown - "Pneumonia"

Next up: Derek Trucks Band - "Out Of The Madness"

calling it a good day so far.

This evening:

Horace Silver - Song for my Father
Coltrane - Blue Train
Beatles - Revolver
Them - Story of Them

On iPod on the train home were:

Elliot Smith - Either/Or
Joanna Newsom (like space cadet this seems a bit of a default for me at the moment). I sort of feel like I shouldn't like her because of the voice but find it really compelling - Narnia references and all!

Jim

Last - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - S/T
Now - Fiend 1 - Caledonian Gothic
Next - Dr. John - Gris-Gris

Originally posted by kjb
Incidentally, another was Astigmatic by the Krzysztof Komeda Quintet featuring a young Thomas Stanko.

Kevin, found a live recording of this the other day, from 1965. Really impressed, excellent driving post-bop, and a really good group. So, it looks like tracking down Komeda records may have to be the new project.

-- Ian

Bruckner - Mass in D minor & Motets
Conductor: Sir John Eliot Gardiner
Orchestra: Monteverdi Choir
Label: Deutsche Grammophon

Beautiful!

Swell Maps, Jane From Occupied Europe. In hindsight, better than A Trip To Marineville, although I always thought the opposite until recently. In any event, a fine group.

Next, Cecil Taylor, Algonquin, duet album with violinist Mat Maneri. It's been out for 6 months but I only just noticed it. Must be slipping in my old age.

-- Ian

Past: Pecheurs de perles et musiciens du golfe persique - quite simply the most incredible drone ever recorded. Amazing.
Present: Polyphonies Mongo batwa ekondo - another mind-expanding recording of pygmy music from the Congo. Simply stunning, in a complex kind of way
Future: Zaire - Musiques de l'Ancien Royaume Kuba - revenge of the big drums (and xylophones, trumpets)

Snap: Seven Swans is playing!

I love this but still struggle with the religious lyrics - doesn't bother me with reggae, doesn't bother me with A Love Supreme, but white American boys singing in praise of the lord gives me the jeebies.

Next: Arcade Fire: Funeral - finally out in GB this week. Could this cross over to be the next scissor sisters/killers? I'm far too elitist to hope it does! And it's way better than either of the aforementioned.

Kevin

Kevin

I still think The Killers is a cracking album, and it gets a lot of airplay here/in the car.

Scissor Sisters is execrable, IMO.

Is : itunes shuffle for a while (I'm working, and don't want to think too much about choosing what I want to listen to).

Was: Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel

Now: The Futureheads - The Futureheads

Eponymy night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back