advertisement

What are you listening to right now #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was : Willy Mason - Where The Humans Eat

I thought this was one of my favourites this year, until I heard Michigan.

Is : Fluke - Six Wheels On My Wagon

Still sounding superb after all these years

Will be : Black Dog - Bytes

Just to remind Erik.

QOTSA:Rated R
Zutons: Who killed the Zutons
LittleMilton;LittleMilton(ChessRecords)
Etta James:Life,love and the blues
Red Hot Chilli Peppers:Live...Hyde Park

Originally posted by joel
These are all superb recordings, especiually the Plugged set IMHO.
For Miles' more reflective (acoustic) side, I don't think you can beat ESP.

ON deck:
<<| VA -- An Anthology of North Indian Classical Music vols II & III on Musicaphon
<<| VA - Kashmir: Traditional Songs and Dances Vol. II on Nonesuch Another wonderfulk David Lewiston recording. This is where Indian, Chinese and Islamic music gently blend...
> VA - Musique populaire du Rajasthan on Ocora A brilliant album, beautifully recorded and "stereo compatible" too :)
>>| Jogjakarta Royal Palace Gamelan Orchestra - Concert Music on Ocora This album has been in shrink wrap for nearly 25 years waiting for me to play it. I shall be using the annointed, ritual implement to breach the holy shrink wrap.

Thanks for the tip regarding ESP Joel. Probably the only major Miles release I haven't heard.

I'll check out your Asian recommendations as well. This is another genre I've wanted to explore after Arabic folk music. I think I'll need another lifetime to get through it all ;-)

regards,

dave

could you give a little more info about this one? It sounds like it could be my cup of tea.........

hi Matt,

Does'nt really swing but has lots of interesting texture. Solal's full range piano goes from stride one minute to Taylor the next, Konitz keeps cool on alto, Scofield plays straight jazz guitar and Pederson's weaving bass underpins the whole thing. Great recording by MPS boss Georg Brunner-Schwer at his MPS studio in 1979. Dry, close without reverb if you like that sort of thing (I do).

MPS 1A 064-63157

dave

Was:
Tchaikovsky: 1812/Festival overture/Capriccio Italien
Beethoven: Wellington's Victory
(Mercury 434-360-2)
Deafening cannons - crackingly rumbustuous music for a Friday afternoon, and a corker of a performance to boot

Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances, Janacek: Taras Bulba (DG 445 838-2). Fantastic music! Rachmaninov's dances are a very big bold powerful piece of orchestral bravado with thundering drums and searing brass. The Janacek is deceptively more restrained, but the orchestra lets rip with incisive bursts of energy just when you least expect it.

Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous (Vertigo 6641 807). First Thin Lizzy LP I've actually owned, but as live rock LPs go from the 70s, this is a decently lively affair.

Now:

Howlin' Wolf - The Genuine Article (Chess 111 073-2). Great - just great!

Next: Not sure!

Originally posted by dave
think I'll need another lifetime to get through it all ;-)
Me, too :) That is part of what is so exciting. The amount of amazing, profound music out there is simply staggering. Where's Mr Mono when you need him...
Anyone seriously interested in Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan should try to get their hands on the two JVC albums he recorded in Tokyo back in the mid-eighties:
Qawwali: The vocal art of the Sufis I & II

The Ocora box set is also a wonderful thing and can sometimes be found cheaply on epay (on CD, vinyl is another matter...).

> VA - Music of Makran traditional fusion from coastal Balochistan Balochistan is a patch of desert that lies on the border of Pakistan and Iran, the music is a fusion of Arab, Perisan, Indian and (supposedly) African influences.

Originally posted by joel
Me, too :) That is part of what is so exciting. The amount of amazing, profound music out there is simply staggering. Where's Mr Mono when you need him...
Anyone seriously interested in Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan should try to get their hands on the two JVC albums he recorded in Tokyo back in the mid-eighties:
Qawwali: The vocal art of the Sufis I & II

The Ocora box set is also a wonderful thing and can sometimes be found cheaply on epay (on CD, vinyl is another matter...).

> VA - Music of Makran traditional fusion from coastal Balochistan Balochistan is a patch of desert that lies on the border of Pakistan and Iran, the music is a fusion of Arab, Perisan, Indian and (supposedly) African influences.

Keep the recommendations coming Joel...and where is Mr. Mono's dissertation now that you mention it?

Back to Indian music for a moment....my only exposure has been under the influence of Shakti (via all their records and one live concert, luckily with fabulous acoustics), Ravi Shankar and the LSO(?)'s "East meets West", and through Ry Cooder and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt's "Meeting by the River". What little I've heard though has me wanting more. This music connects for me in a way that music of my own culture can't....I find this very difficult to describe.

regards,

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back