advertisement

What are you listening to right now #11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sideshowbob said:
Nick, it strikes me that you're exactly the sort of cove who would like Cardiacs records.

-- Ian, Cardiacs Evangelist
Well, I've just made my way through both discs of Sing To God. There's a lot going on isn't there? Some of it's stuck straight away, some has been filed for "later" and some was quite... intense. None of it was dull! Cheers Ian.

Oh, and is Woodfolk Trust - Trough Of Bowland. A very odd (if very good) mixture of gently glitchy/wibbly electronica and... um...I don't know what. There are some samples at Boomkat.

nickl said:
Well, I've just made my way through both discs of Sing To God. There's a lot going on isn't there? Some of it's stuck straight away, some has been filed for "later" and some was quite... intense. None of it was dull! Cheers Ian.

Sing To God is definitely their most intense and complicated record. I like the one that follows it, Guns, nearly as much, although it's much simpler, almost straightforward by comparison. I love the way they marry some of the absurdities of prog (the vocal mannerisms especially) with insane stop-start rhythms which are firmly from the John Zorn/Naked City tradition, and all the attitood of punk. I saw them live at the Astoria just before Xmas (they play a handful of gigs a year, including an annual sold-out show at the Astoria) and was gobsmacked by them. They were completely new to me (I knew the name, had never heard the records). They were tight as **** and as loud as war. For some reason I didn't get round to buying any of the records until a few weeks ago, but now I own all of them :)

"Dirty Boy", the opener of Sing To God Part 2, is probably my favourite thing in the world right now, musically speaking.

-- Ian

The Drift - Noumena

After taking like...forever to get around to buying this album, here it is, and it's bloody good. "Gardening, Not Architecture" starts like an orchestral tune-up session, which is in contrast to the rest of the track (and album). It's a mixture of soundscapes, post-rock, and jazz influenced pieces, and more importantly, it really works. I love the sound of the plucked strings on the upright bass, wonderful! There's some horns on there too. All in all, a really good album and I for one am looking forward to their next outing.

Oh, and all you Mono fans should take note. You Are There is out soon.

ag, did you mention that you had the split album with Pelican? Given that it sold out a while ago, what is it like?

Rod - I missed out on it, sadly. I'd like it though. It pops up on ebay from time to time, and I keep missing it because I don't have a sniper thingy.

Be Your Own Pet are a teenage 'punk' band from somewhere in the US, fronted by a very pretty young girl and one of the band members sports the biggest 'fro seen since the '70s.

BYOP

Decent music, in that teen-punk way. Unkind comparisons are 'like Motorhead fronted by Avril Lavigne'.

On now:

Electric Masada - Live At The Mountains Of Madness

Absofuckin'lutely awesome! Ian, right again. A work of pure genius. I can see this breaking the usual mould of play-it-once-and-onto-the-next-one.

Edit: igary - Did you say you had this? Has to be right up your street.

rod said:
On now:

Electric Masada - Live At The Mountains Of Madness

Absofuckin'lutely awesome! Ian, right again. A work of pure genius. I can see this breaking the usual mould of play-it-once-and-onto-the-next-one.

I listened to samples of this and it made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

I can't seem to convince myself that I actually "get" much, even when people make it clear it's a something one either "gets" or does not. Unless this is musical satire, in which case, woohoo! I "get" it!

It struck me as the Andy Kaufman approach: see how un-funny (or in this case, un-"musical") one can be in front of a crowd of paying spectators, and still have them stick around, maybe even applaud. As schticks go, though, Electric Masada is funnier than Kaufman.

It's not a schtick, Zorn means it. Laughing is not a bad reaction though, there's a great deal of humour in his music, and cartoon music is one of his major inspirations. So, if you find it funny, perhaps it's working. Listen to the whole thing, and it may start to make a great deal more sense to you, as well as the humour you may begin to get the energy, the invention, the audacity, the virtuosity. These are some of the best musicians in the western world, and they choose to play this music, in this way. There's a reason, and satire ain't it...

-- Ian

Maybe it's the Zappa afficionado in me, who cares? It's still awesome. I have heard quite a few different Masada styles now, and love them all... so far.

...but it's OK, you don't HAVE to like it K, that's the beauty of personal taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back