advertisement

What are you listening to right now #11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As if it wasn't bad enough with the stack of cds just in, and the vinyl haul from Tony...

I have just landed a pile of thirty-five or so LPs gratis from a colleague who was telling me that he was considering dumping his 180ish LPs, which are hiding in his loft. Mainly 80's pop/rock, I picked up a few gems and a few items I would normally not have considered.

So far - Joe Jackson - Night and Day and on now - Kate Bush - Never For Ever. Great!

Others included - Japan / Sylvain / Basie (not really 80's I guess!) / Pretenders / Squeeze / Simple Minds / Police / Weather Report / Bowie / Johnny Cash / Yes (ermm) and a cheeky wee Funkadelic.

Well tidy! Even better, they are well looked after and were played on a decent deck. I did try to convince him to play them again, but...

Need to get him a nice Single Malt.

Now: The Who - ultimate collection (or something like that)

Next: Neu! - Neu! 75
or
Radio 1 - Breezeblock show

Enjoying Sade Promise on my Funk'd Planar3.

e35408stdmf.jpg

Mojo's excellent Chess sampler CD featuring Bo Diddley the Gunslinger:

'Now Bo Diddley didn't stand no mess
He had a gun on his hip and a rose on his chest'

sideshowbob said:
It's not a schtick, Zorn means it. Laughing is not a bad reaction though, there's a great deal of humour in his music, and cartoon music is one of his major inspirations. So, if you find it funny, perhaps it's working. Listen to the whole thing, and it may start to make a great deal more sense to you, as well as the humour you may begin to get the energy, the invention, the audacity, the virtuosity. These are some of the best musicians in the western world, and they choose to play this music, in this way. There's a reason, and satire ain't it...

-- Ian
Just got tickets through to see Zorn in London in July: doing some film music with the Electric Masada team. Haven't seen him before and am hugely excited.

It's at the Barbican, 17th June ( I think).

Currently: rounding off the day at work with Matthew Shipp: Harmony and Abyss

Kevin

kjb said:
Just got tickets through to see Zorn in London in July: doing some film music with the Electric Masada team. Haven't seen him before and am hugely excited.

It's at the Barbican, 17th June ( I think).

Yes indeedy. He's conducting some chamber music the next night, I'll be at both gigs. It'll almost certainly be one of the best gigs you've ever been to, the two Zorn gigs I've seen (Naked City in 1989, Electric Masada a couple of years ago) were truly memorable.

-- Ian

Parliament - Mothership Connection

A righteous riot of funk. If disco had been more like this, it would have really taken over the world.

rod said:
A righteous riot of funk. If disco had been more like this, it would have really taken over the world.
But disco did take over the world, albeit briefly.

I don't know why I haven't posted on this thread before. It's certainly a way of incresasing my post count. Anyway, I've played tonight;

Nick Cave: No More Shall We Part (CD)
John Martyn: Solid Air (Vinyl)

After I've put out the rubbish I think I'll play Tim Buckley's Goodbye and Hello. I played Happy/Sad and Lorca last night.

Peter

Coil – Hellraiser Themes

Freaking myself out by picturing a decayed J Balance dancing to this in a dress – I'm really overtired.

V/A- Tropicália: A Brazilian Revolution in Sound (Soul Jazz)

This is really, really good. Nice and druggy and psychedelic in places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back