advertisement

What are you listening to right now #11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bunches of KEXP Song of The Day podcasts. Too bad the artist name doesn't appear when played on my iPod.

Next I'll listen to The Onion Radio News podcasts for a few larfs.

Kid 606: The Action Packed Mentalist Brings You The F'in Jams.
A very silly man.
Next is the Pink Faries.

Tim Buckley - Dream Letters. I'm actually enjoying this, so something is clearly wrong. I'm either dead tired or slightly pished. Or both.

Bugger me. Another Buckley album now playing, which is also really quite good (Starsailor).

sideshowbob said:
Before that, a Birdyak album from the late 80s. Birdyak were the house band of the still-running Klinker free improv club, until the death of leader Bob Cobbing, the great (and insane) dadaist poet. Features Hugh Metcalfe on guitar and kazoo, Cobbing's equally lunatic wife, and Lol Coxhill. Great fun, it goes something like, "Sping! Woop! Ping! Zhhhheeebb, zubb zubb bloing!"

-- Ian

Used to go to the Klinker quite regularly 2000-2004, and saw an incarnation of Birdyak there - your onomatapeiac description of their sound is spot on. Hugh spectacularly set fire to his cymbals at one gig. I also remember being delighted at discovering Lol Coxhill was playing in a pub round the corner from me, having any number of 70's oddities at home with him on.......

Now listening:

Vault Internet Radio (Archive of live tapes from Bill Graham's concert venues '66-'77)

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/static.aspx?Type=Audio/Radio.htm&LeftNav=Audio/RadioNav.htm

Joe Hutch said:
So Darwin was wrong!
Darwin was, of course, perfectly correct. Your interpretation is wrong. Evolution is NOT improvement per se, it is adaptation ;-)

sideshowbob said:
Dream Letter's a particularly fine record. Tim was a much better singer than his son Jeff.
Never (knowingly) heard jeff, so I'll take your word on that. Dream Letter is a really good record (although I will have to confirm this when sober and less knackered). Like his guitar playing, too.

joel said:
Darwin was, of course, perfectly correct. Your interpretation is wrong. Evolution is NOT improvement per se, it is adaptation ;-)

True enough. I like the story told by Samuel Butler (author of 'Erewhon' and famously anti-Darwin) about an acquaintance: 'A good man, but too trusting. He sees a bishop's son in a good occupation in the Church and thinks it an example of hereditary ability'.

Anex said:
Jeff is still worth listening to though
Life is just sooo short, though. Now listening to a bizarrely spaced-out version of *the* Betty Davis riff courtesy of Ektroverde. PowerPoint Production Music (which is not a bad thing).

Tad - 8 Way Santa on lovely yellow vinyl. Liberated from a bargain bin this morning - a good day for coloured vinyl Sub Pop LPs all round, I landed a copy of Jale's Dreamcake on cream vinyl out of the same bin. Excellent stuff.

Tony.

<<Led Zepplin: 1 - just like being 14 again (thanks to Tony L)

> Magazine: Real Life - just like being 19 again

>> something grown-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back