advertisement

What are you listening to right now #10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Rich, I am now blasting the cobwebs out with The Who - Live At Leeds - Maximum R&B, indeed!

RickyC6 said:
This Prestige era Trane is good and very underrated I reckon.

A few months ago I listened to all of it over the course of a couple of weeks. Worth doing, every LP contains at least two moments of brilliance, and many of them have more than that.

-- Ian

Nels Cline/Gregg Bendian, Interstellar Space Revisited. A dangerous thing this, guitar and drums versions of the music on the greatest LP ever made, Trane's Interstellar Space. It works very well, despite not being quite le meme chose. Cline makes a tremendously powerful guitar racket, really pretty damned cool. I understand he's now a member of Wilco, perhaps he'll start playing like this for them and really **** with their sound. Bendian's a pretty good, loose-limbed drummer, but he's not Rashid Ali. Available on Atavistic.

-- Ian

I have Proxima Estacion Esperanca and thought that I had enough of that particlar synth sound and guitar lick, but I'll go get the live album on your recommendation.

The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

Similar to White Stripes, only much, much better. Go here, listen to "10 AM Automatic" and "The Desperate Man". Then buy the album.

Then listen to "Have Love Will Travel" and buy the album Thickfreakness. Repeat until you have them all.

sideshowbob said:
A few months ago I listened to all of it over the course of a couple of weeks. Worth doing, every LP contains at least two moments of brilliance, and many of them have more than that.

-- Ian
That'd be the run-offs on both sides then. I knew LPs had something over CDs.

Is: Makoto-san warming up for tomorrow night's assault....how much do Sugdens cost to repair?

Markus Sauer said:
Now playing: Manu Chao, Clandestino.

Why haven't I played this in such a long time? Utterly, utterly brilliant.
Hi,

Picked a copy of this up a couple of weeks ago and have really enjoyed listening. Somehow manages to bring a smile to my face (despite some of the dodgy electronic noises), especially 'Mentira' which lopes along happily.

Have also been enjoying 'Bamba' by Orchestra Baobab and 'Congo Life' by Kekele. 'Congo Life' is a recent recording of older style rumba and consistently good, 'Bamba' dates back to the early 80's and is a little more variable - but its better bits are very good.

Regards,

Stuart.

kasperhauser said:
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

Similar to White Stripes, only much, much better. Go here, listen to "10 AM Automatic" and "The Desperate Man". Then buy the album.

Then listen to "Have Love Will Travel" and buy the album Thickfreakness. Repeat until you have them all.

I find them very samey, I have the big come up and thickfreakness. Theres a few standout tracks in places but the big come up is waaaay to long. Haven't listened in a while but I seem to remember they pretty much never change key, just sounds really samey, one album is enough for me. Not heard rubber factory though, is it different?
Thickfreakness is definately a great track either way. :)

Rolling straight on with:-
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison. Actually way better than the San Quentin album.

Cheers

Rich

Anex said:
I find them very samey, I have the big come up and thickfreakness. Theres a few standout tracks in places but...
They are awesome live but I agree that song quality varies greatly through any of their albums. Still, I like them much more than the White Stripes.

RickyC6 said:
Rolling straight on with:-
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison. Actually way better than the San Quentin album.
Nice. IIRC it was you who started a JC thread?

I agree RE: Black Keys and a degree of sameyness. I just get so into the tone, as long as it's there, I'm good. And speaking of tone...

Now playing: Robben Ford - Tiger Walk

I wish I had his Dumble and he had a better one. If I had twenty grand to blow on an amp, that'd be the one. Jumpin' jesus, this thing does it all. I bet Chuck Norris has one.

ErikL said:
Nice. IIRC it was you who started a JC thread?

Twas indeed. Anyone got any recommendations for 60's era studio albums? i.e. the ones with I Walk The Line, Cocaine Blues etc?

Cheers

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back