advertisement

What are you listening to right now #10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mono, Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered and the Sun Shined. Very nice, but it really does sound a bit too much like Godspeed You Black Emperor for its own good.

-- Ian

space cadet said:
Cool, I'd love to find something for you. Here are some good eggs from the site, but it really depends on what you fancy.
For melodic, lovely electronica you could do worse than the ISAN 2xlp compilation 'Clockwork Menagerie' or the Fordax 7" 'Like cream inside you spine' (in fact this is fantastic).
For some really groovy 60s inspired psych pop try 'Cul de sacs and deadends' by The Minders or 'Time and Space' by Orange Alabaster Mushroom.
At last two 7"s... 'The Leanover' by Life without Buildings which is amazing (but a bit pricey) and the 7" by Submarine Prophets.

Let me know how you get on!

Thanks SC. I'll check some out.

Update on the Nagisa Ni Te. I emailed Opal Music regarding stock - email was returned as undeliverable. However, the retospective 'Songs For A Simple Moment' is available from Domino

Playing now: BB King - Completely Well

Next up: Beastie Boys - The In Sound From Way Out

ss

Edit: The In Sound From Way Out is excellent!

Ray Charles "The Best of Ray Charles: The Atlantic Years" is on now and it's damn good.

Next, I'll put on some Hüsker Dü or Sugar and crank the volume up a bit (I nearly said "crank the knob a bit" but remembered most of you reside in the UK).

Tonight its been.....
John Coltrane - Soul Trane
Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

Cheers

Rich

RickyC6 said:
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
The lyrics on that one make me giggle.

Bob Mould "Workbook" is on now. Good memories of returning from Friday classes to my roommate (nicknamed Mould) playing all of this on his geetar.

andy m said:
such a good band! a friend and myself managed to get a local pub to put a cdr of ours in the jukebox, so we often enjoyed a few pints and games of pool whilst using the pool cues to air guitar to 'hyper enough'.
I noticed lately that we have similar tastes. My fav punk Tex-Mex eatery in NY seemed to play "Precision Auto" every time my friends and I stopped in.

Dan: Nice one. A stone cold classic.

Interpol "Antics" playing right now.

PS- I was also a college DJ. But I played crap music on request for drunk/stoned friends.

Now: Grifters "Fluffy Kitty" 7"

"You are probably right re: BB. Last night I was focused on some of the beats and all I could think was NiN at Woodstock '94."

Erik, if Big Black sounds like NiN, that's only because BB did everything NiN would ever do before the latter had even formed (I call "Pig Pile" as my witness).

If you haven't tried it already, give the new Wilderness album a listen. It's really pretty good.

Eric, I hear ya re: NiN copying BB. It is extremely apparent after listening to Big Black and Ministry that Trent Reznor and his drum machine never did anything original. My point (very poorly stated) above was that NiN sounds very dates, and so do the beats they copied. Nonetheless, I enjoy Big Black.

I'll sample some Wilderness. Thanks!

kasperhauser said:
Drive By Truckers - Dirty South
I had both CDs of Southern Rock Opera on over the weekend. Powerful stuff that always makes me think, and a nice contrast to the welter of spacerock/krautrock that's still hogging the system here (so much still to discover!)

nickl said:
I had both CDs of Southern Rock Opera on over the weekend. Powerful stuff that always makes me think, and a nice contrast to the welter of spacerock/krautrock that's still hogging the system here (so much still to discover!)
Yep, brings a smile to my face, and makes me want to grab my guitar and plug in. Guess I'm just easy to please.:)

John Coltrane & The Red Garland Trio- Traneing In. This Prestige era Trane is good and very underrated I reckon.

Cheers

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back