advertisement

What are the sensible upgrade options for a LP12 nowadays?

Thanks folks and keep the thoughts coming - it's much appreciated.

Gaius, I'll run Hutter past my wife. Might need to sell a car or some mountain bikes to fund them though!!

I'm starting to think I should have said 'No woman, know your place - I'm keeping my mancave'. However, I am looking forward to using my brownie points and a very nice red velvet corner sofa.

Were I to spend on my lp12 , I'd be thinking about the Kore. I never bought the story about why such an expensive deck has a pressed steel flat coffin with a fibre board plank attached with wobbly little screws. It'll be a standard item on all new lp12s but they should have done this 25 years ago.

Is there a price list of genuine Linn upgrades anywhere?

I'd be interested in non-genuine upgrades as well of course.

But will definately research new equipment support with wife liaison. I need one rack not two so turntable on top of other boxes is essential.

As per my previous post, I would strongly recommend a new subchassis - either aftermarket or one of the Linn ones. It was the best upgrade I have made to my 77 (pre-Cirkus) LP12.

Just the fact that Linn now offer 2 upgraded subchassis options shows how relevant it is.

I went for the Analogue Innovation Sole (I got an early prototype model - not sure of current iteration) - it started out as a project on PFM and has turned into a commercial enterprise for John as a result. But there are now a host of subchassis options to suit all pockets :)

Richard

I loved my LP12/cirkus/lingo1/Aro/d17mkii

This is a little off beam but how about a Well Tempered Simplex and keep the LP12 (there you go I got away with the just sell it argument). The simplex is cheaper than many upgrades. Live with both. You never know which way it may come out.

As I said. I loved owning the LP12, the simplex is just daft good for £1550 inc arm!

I'd suggest something similar but with a Garrard 401/301. If you don't like it, you sell it on for about what you paid. My money says you will, for the price of a couple of upgrades to the LP12.

My old boss has a Garrard in a custom plinth and a SME series 5 - it sounds very good but the deck looks like it's from the dark ages!

I'd probably look at a more modern option if I was to switch to be honest.

Jezmond, I had similar deck (late pre-Circus bearing, Aro, home-made Armageddon, Ortofon SPU Royal N). Since it has cost me £1300 in total and I don't have a vast amount of cash for Hi-Fi I didn't want consider the Linn upgrades. I fitted an early iteration of The Sole and thought it produced a worthwhile improvement whilst still leaving the deck sounding like a mid-period LP12.

I've listened to offerings from Rega, Well Tempered and SME ("right but repulsive") I could potentially afford if I sold the Linn but, on balance, I want to stay where I am. Probably too familiar with the "wrong but romantic" sound of the old thing. I'd like to hear how a Garrard/Aro sounds though. Anyone in London using such a beast?

+1 for the Kore
excellent VFM bang for buck, but factor in a service and set up with new springs and rubbers etc.
I recently returned to the vinyl and the LP12.. Still the King IMHO ( without trying to be controversial or spark a war)

Great - my goodness is an Akito really £1500 nowadays??

What are the non genuine options for chassis changes as the Kore is still a fair whack at £750?

The Greenstreet subchassis sells for $875, so around £525 and is closer in concept to the Keel than the Kore. A good value IMO if you can find someone to install it. Keep in mind that having no +/-1.5 mm play with the fixed armboard might be a issue with some Aro users depending on cartridge used.

As per my previous post, I would strongly recommend a new subchassis - either aftermarket or one of the Linn ones. It was the best upgrade I have made to my 77 (pre-Cirkus) LP12.

Just the fact that Linn now offer 2 upgraded subchassis options shows how relevant it is.

I went for the Analogue Innovation Sole (I got an early prototype model - not sure of current iteration) - it started out as a project on PFM and has turned into a commercial enterprise for John as a result. But there are now a host of subchassis options to suit all pockets :)

Richard

Jezmond, I had similar deck (late pre-Circus bearing, Aro, home-made Armageddon, Ortofon SPU Royal N). Since it has cost me £1300 in total and I don't have a vast amount of cash for Hi-Fi I didn't want consider the Linn upgrades. I fitted an early iteration of The Sole and thought it produced a worthwhile improvement whilst still leaving the deck sounding like a mid-period LP12.

I've listened to offerings from Rega, Well Tempered and SME ("right but repulsive") I could potentially afford if I sold the Linn but, on balance, I want to stay where I am. Probably too familiar with the "wrong but romantic" sound of the old thing. I'd like to hear how a Garrard/Aro sounds though. Anyone in London using such a beast?

Glad to read you're both still very happy with your Sole sub-chassis gents. The latest one is a very different beast physically, but we've endeavoured to maintain the sonic attributes of our earlier versions as customers were so taken with them. Currently on version VII Dowser.

Sole VII and Linn cut arm-board is £600 Jezmond.

Regards.

John R.

This is a great thread - many thanks to the contributors.

I've pondered a Rega, wonder how a P8 compares? I may have to tap up AudioT in Brighton sometime.

Greenstreet, Sole and Inspire are the 3 that spring to mind.

Greenstreet are based in the USA. I don't know if you can get a demonstration somewhere here in the UK.

Inspire are based near Chesterfield just off the M1. You can get a demonstration there and compare it with your own deck if you bring that along too. They also do replacement plinths and other goodies. If you like it then you can leave your deck there to have the subchassis installed.

There's not much point comparing though as nobody is going to have the same psu? I'll commence research though but I think others are right by saying equipment support first.

Top plate and subchassis upgrades make a fundamental improvement. Lingo would make a huge upgrade from the taps and are cheap since the radikal rewrote the rulebook.
Tigerpaw Khan are cheap and amazing value. Dunno if Linn still make kore/keel for the aro.

advertisement

Back