advertisement

What’s your Naim ?

Mine is a Nait 5i which I've recently reconnected and it has amazing bass through my dynaudio 1.3mkii contour. I'd love an xs3.
I had those speakers for a long time on a 150 and then a 200. They’ll reward all the way up to a 250 or beyond. I thought I’d always have them but the Special 40’s are much better (more transparent and resolving but still Dynaudio).

CDX2. I still have it although I’ve hardly used it for most of the last 10 years. Hanging on for when I can afford to put a 555PS on it, I’ve tried that once and it was phenomenal.

Also hanging on to the nDAC and rate the Nova (with Neat Iota Alpha) and Atom (with Jern 11) very highly.

Still use these:
Naim nac122x
Naim nap150x
Naim flatcap 2x
Naim cd5x
Naim stageline s
Great sound and solid build... I have other gear but these will be here forever, just to have the Naim sound at hand :)

Have a Naim XS2 , Had it for a couple of years and I've had it with it . Hate it . Don't like the sound and loathe the connections issues . Hope to change soon to Copland csa70 , Sugden or Lavardin [ although my previous one blew up ]

Nait 2 CB and CDX. I tend to drift in and out of HiFi, so I can't really remember why I bought them but I'm glad I did! Can I ask what folks opinions are of the CDX - looking back through some comments it seems to have had more than its share of negativity towards it. I know it can be a little aggressive but was there anything else?

Can I ask what folks opinions are of the CDX
Of all the HiFi components I've had, from 1987 till now, the Naim CDX sticked with me the longest time. (about 5 or 6 years, which for me is quite rare, so it must've done something right!) It was in the late 90's/early 2000 though. If memory serves me well I think I sold or traded it for a CD5X + FC. (to match the looks of my then newly purchased Nait 5i)

Yeah, I think the CDX has been my fav piece of equipment. I've offloaded some CD duties to the Rega DAC with external CD/DVD player in order to (hopefully) preserve the CDX life a little!

12S, 42, 32, 32.5, 62, 72, 82, 52, 160, 110, 250, CDi, CDX, CDS, CDPS, SNAPS, Hi-Cap, Supercap, NAIT, ARO, Armageddon, SBL, Muso.

Multiples of many of these and I'm sure I will have left some out.

I used Naim for >40 years but now all gone (bar the Muso) in favour of a RPi and a pair of active speakers.

In the midst of my 500 series system lies a lowly NAT03, which I treasure as it was a birthday present from my wife 28 years ago.It entered a lowly 72/HC/250 system and is the only part of my system I will NEVER change

In the midst of my 500 series system lies a lowly NAT03, which I treasure as it was a birthday present from my wife 28 years ago.It entered a lowly 72/HC/250 system and is the only part of my system I will NEVER change
A match of 72 and Hicap is a real gem, no matter what you put behind as an amp. Unbeatable for the price, IMO.

Fondly remember my first non integrated Naim system a 42/snaps/160 combo, lovely.
Currently sticking with an all olive active system - CDS2/XPS/52/SC/SNAXO/SC/3 x 250/NBL.
A few moves in between but not too many, included a very sweet pair of 135.

Also keep an early smooth knob Nait 1 alongside a NAD3020 just for kicks and conversational pieces.

12S, 42, 32, 32.5, 62, 72, 82, 52, 160, 110, 250, CDi, CDX, CDS, CDPS, SNAPS, Hi-Cap, Supercap, NAIT, ARO, Armageddon, SBL, Muso.

Multiples of many of these and I'm sure I will have left some out.

I used Naim for >40 years but now all gone (bar the Muso) in favour of a RPi and a pair of active speakers.

What active speakers Steve?

.sjb

32.5,72,272,110,180,250.2,250DR,300DR,CD5,Flatcap,Hicap, HicapDR,NACA5,Naimuniti1,MusoQB,Muso2,ND5XS,XP5XS,Unitiserve

Now just (sic) Naimuniti, Muso QB , Muso 2, Unitiserve, 272 , 300DR, NACA5

Awaiting the NSC222 due on 4 Jan but was VERY impressed with home loan of LinnDSM Selekt with Katalyst- the Organik version is apparently amazing.

Can’t see me parting with the 300DR. Amazing at any volume - especially low…..!

Well since you are asking, I ended up with Naim NAC 62 / NAP 140 / HICAP in the late 1980's, having had various HiFi in the previous decade, and the Naim system has remained in place to the present day.

Of course these are the 'Chrome Bumper' series.

I suppose I was earning enough then to afford the initial buy-in to Naim, and I have remained content with the sound ever since, with little desire to enter the 'upgrade path', even if it was ever affordable (which it was not!).

However, recently I have been thinking about some 're-ordering', only in order to pass the Naim system on to my son.

Pretending to take the question in an ‘objective’ way, there’s no doubt in my mind that the Naim products that have produced the biggest sound quality upgrades have always been their power supplies. I can remember the huge step up in sound quality of adding my first HiCap to a basic pre-power amp and the big step up to powering my SNAXO with a SuperCap for the first time. More recently, although it’s really just a big transformer in a box for a scary amount of money, the 555PS completely transformed my NDS-based system. It must be all to do with allowing other components to extract detail near the start of the chain from source to speaker. High quality components further down the chain can never recover what wasn’t there in the first place, I guess…

Owned lots of Naim kit over the years and I reached the conclusion that their amps are the best things they make. My favourite was a 282 although long gone as I got fed up with the power supply upgrade merry go round and set off in a different direction.

advertisement

Back