advertisement

What’s your Naim ?

I got off the Naim merry go round long ago,never thought I’d get back on, but……..
Now have a Atom HE.
Bought primarily for use as a one-box headphone set up with my Focal Stellia’s.
But having tried it with my ATC SCM40a’s, I am blown away by how good it is as a streamer/DAC/pre.

Lots of Naim boxes (especially amps) has entered my house, through the years. (1997-2017) I'd like to get back into Naim, but the only option left for me would be a s/h Nait 5i(-2) or a NAP100+DAC-V1 combo.(every Naim amp with >50watts power will lead to transformer humming issues):( I'm not a big fan of Naim streaming devices, so I'll stick to my Bluesound Node as a digital source.

More or less where I've got to now, and very enjoyable. What's your vinyl setup?

I have a Pro-ject Perpex 6SB turntable with the Pro-ject Power box power supply and an Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge... but I am selling it, because, in the end, I am not a vinyl guy. Really don’t care for it.
For me it is CD all the way

If only allowed to choose one Naim unit, I suppose it would have to be the Naim Nait (1), which I have owned since 1986. It’s been serviced just twice, but is still used in a bedroom system. Still in use in my main system is my NAT-01, which in my opinion is Naim’s best ever source component. Third place would go to my NBLs, which I had for 20 years and sold just last year.

Lots of Naim boxes (especially amps) has entered my house, through the years. (1997-2017) I'd like to get back into Naim, but the only option left for me would be a s/h Nait 5i(-2) or a NAP100+DAC-V1 combo.(every Naim amp with >50watts power will lead to transformer humming issues):( I'm not a big fan of Naim streaming devices, so I'll stick to my Bluesound Node as a digital source.

You know the UQ(2) is a perfectly capable amp with dac Alco. So if you don't like the streamer, you can use it with another...

I still use a Naim Power amp, NAC 300DR, other kit is boxed up under the bed. I do wonder why I got into this rut, as apart from the image, I now realise that it isn't anything special and thrives off its standing as a cult brand.

I still use a Naim Power amp, NAC 300DR, other kit is boxed up under the bed. I do wonder why I got into this rut, as apart from the image, I now realise that it isn't anything special and thrives off its standing as a cult brand.
This is true. However if you feel like this you can sell it on. the cult status ensures high second hand value, so you'll do well and you can spend the proceeds on something that you will use.

You know the UQ(2) is a perfectly capable amp with dac Alco. So if you don't like the streamer, you can use it with another...
Hmm, that's true Bas, haven't even thought about that! (although I'd prefer a seperate amp + dac and many UQ's seem to suffer from faulty displays, so it would likely have to be replaced)

Hmm, that's true Bas, haven't even thought about that! (although I'd prefer a seperate amp + dac and many UQ's seem to suffer from faulty displays, so it would likely have to be replaced)

Even better! They sometimes go for peanuts and you don't need the display if you are using it with another streamer! You can get one for around EUR 400-500 and IMO that's a steal for an amp + dac of this quality.

This is true. However if you feel like this you can sell it on. the cult status ensures high second hand value, so you'll do well and you can spend the proceeds on something that you will use.

My unfortunate truth is that I really dislike selling things, I should have been more careful in the first place, buying Naim in 2015 just because I heard a Naim system back in the early 80’s that impressed me is quite a poor model for my decision.

such is my aversion to selling things, I tend to let them pile up under the bed, it’s just that the value of my pre owned NAP300 dr makes it quite an expensive paperweight and this might prompt me to do do the unthinkable and put it up for sale. I guess I could trade it in, it’s just that the kit I am likely to move to will be cheaper making the deal very poor for me! Having said that it will be better than nothing I suppose.

My unfortunate truth is that I really dislike selling things, I should have been more careful in the first place, buying Naim in 2015 just because I heard a Naim system back in the early 80’s that impressed me is quite a poor model for my decision.

such is my aversion to selling things, I tend to let them pile up under the bed, it’s just that the value of my pre owned NAP300 dr makes it quite an expensive paperweight and this might prompt me to do do the unthinkable and put it up for sale. I guess I could trade it in, it’s just that the kit I am likely to move to will be cheaper making the deal very poor for me! Having said that it will be better than nothing I suppose.
Sell stuff on here, you are dealing with pleasant people and it's a much more pleasant experience.

I've only ever owned one Naim component, a red LED CB Naim Nait, great little amp, I did really fancy a Naim tuner and an Aro for a long time but never got round to owning either.

I've got a big pile of Naim kit still, although none of it has been used for a few years: CD3.5, NAC32.5, SNAPS2, IXO, 2 x Flatcap, 2 x NAP140 and a set of Credo's as well as a Nait 3. The Nait 3 gets occasional use replacing other integrateds that are in for repair or servicing, and the active set-up I am intending to use again at some point soon (once I get around to transporting it to my cottage).

Nait 3 (Rega Kyte and Denon 260-tl) - amp was in main system many years ago, still giving sterling service in kitchen/dining room.

Last week a Naim dealer offered a Nait 5i-2 occasion in great condition at a no-risc price.
Now, I was (and still am) very satisfied with my little Rega IO, but... being into Naim for a long time (mid 90's) I just couldn't resist the Naim's call. :rolleyes:

Due to transformer humming issues with every (Naim/non-Naim) >50watts amp, I was kinda forced to stick to low power amps. (often also entry level)
These humming issues are quite a bummer, but otoh... I don't get tempted to climb up the upgrade ladder! (always look on the bright side;))

The Rega IO still represents superb VFM and sonically it holds up remarkably well to the Naim. I do prefer the Naim though.
In the looks and build department the Naim wins hands down! (Imo, Rega amps look a bit cheap, with the glossy, plastic fascia)
I'll probably have the Nait recapped later this year. (and keep the Rega for back-up duties)

My modest system still consists of entry level components, but I'm happy with it and have no rush in changing source and speakers.
(it will happen someday, I'm sure (even though last year I kinda "promised" myself not to do that anymoreo_O:D)

I might keep an eye open for better speakers. (have to be small, look good on the SS-6 stands and placed fairly close to the backwall)
Perhaps a Naim DAC occasion will be my endgoal to upgrade my source.

Just for fun and by curiosity, what’s your Naim?

More precisely, amongst all of the Naim amps, CD player or any others you owned or still own, which one is favorite and why ?

For me, it’s definitely my 1986 NAP 110 thanks to its lively and punchy sound and astonishing bass drive.

So, what’s your Naim, just tell us.........for the fun of it !
NDx2 very versatile

Presently in my office, NDX, NaitXS, Flatcap2, SBLmk2. Wonderful little system brings a smile to my face on a daily basis.
In my living room, CDS3,XPS2,272,250DR,Ovator S400.
Spare and not presently used, 72/Hicap & Nat 05.
Favourite Naim units of all time that i’ve owned: CDS3, Nait 1 & 2, SBLs, NaitXS (1st ver), Nap160, Nac 552.

Since my original post I have taken delivery of an NC222 and NPX300. Still have the 250DR. The Star has now moved into the bedroom system with a pair of the recently available Rega RX1s at a price too good to miss. My Unitilite has been given to a friend's music-loving daughter, who has taken after her father in wanting a separates system, they are both Naim owners now.
As for me, I am saving pennies so I can trade my 250DR for an NC250 in future months. That will be my end point, mostly likely....

advertisement

Back