advertisement

We’re All Going on a Summer Holiday

Short break in Frome next month which looks a bit budget busting and might have a trip to the smoke in a couple of weeks.

Daughter coming home to escape the French holiday season in August which will be our main holiday time with zero air metres.

Off to Germany tomorrow to see friends. Dunkerque to Dietzenbach near Frankfurt, and then up to Bad Oeynhausen to see another friend. We're all getting older, so best to do it while I can. If I could find somewhere safe to leave the car near the border, it'd be fun to do the rest on the €9 rail ticket. DFDS has asked me to input my passport details. That's the first time that's happened. Another post brexit change of regulations ?

In the summer we're hoping for a family reunion near Briançon, where we spent a year on a teacher exchange. We're going out via Dublin so that granddaughter gets to see us again before we all meet up in the alps a week or so later. Daughter, travelling out from London, has found cheap tickets on the overnight couchette service from Austerlitz to Briançon, which has inspired us for an autumn trip to Barcelona to see our son who lives there. We've not been yet, and he's been there for 3 years. :( A night in London with daughter, Eurostar to Paris, couchette to Briançon for a few days, train to Marseille for a few days and walking in the Calanques, and then train down to Barcelona.

A fly in the ointment ? Anyone know what's happening with vacination requirements for travelling ? France requires one within 9 months. That makes mine up in September, with no prospect of a booster before then.

Nah, ill health unfortunely. I can manage short walks on the very flat for about an hour and that's me done in.
I have a similar problem with walking and that was a contributing factor for us to sell our holiday pad in Carbis Bay.

Mine is caused by arthritis (back, knees, feet) rather than ill health so this year we have booked a cruise down the Danube if our flights aren't cancelled. I keep looking at my electric bicycle.......

DV

We went for a wander round Faversham the other day and thought it was a lovely part of the world. Found some cheap jazz records in the stall in the market but didn't spot local resident Evan Parker :)
Hatters Hall in Preston Street well worth a visit. Insane secondhand record shop run by a geezer that used to share a flat with Lemmy.

Hatters Hall in Preston Street well worth a visit. Insane secondhand record shop run by a geezer that used to share a flat with Lemmy.

I had a quick flick through the bins outside before we had to dash for the train - it certainly looked intriguing.... nice to meet the shop cat too!

I had a quick flick through the bins outside before we had to dash for the train - it certainly looked intriguing.... nice to meet the shop cat too!
He usually has loads of great records, but they are in total disorder, so go for a pee beforehand and give yourself an hour or so. I've picked up all sorts of weird stuff there.

We (My Wife and I) were meant to be on holiday next week in Scotland by train. Email this afternoon, the Sleeper from London next Tuesday is cancelled, so that has mullered the entire holiday. An evening of trying to get refunds on various rail tickets and so on. Then try a guess as to when we can book to do it - hopefully without strikes causing more problems. Got to be soon, a valuable 5* hotel voucher at the centre of the whole enterprise is expiring before the end of July!

Sigh.
But... a two-year-delayed (Covid of course!) holiday villa in Portugal is booked for early Sep. So that to look forward to. Possibly the last ever family-of-five holiday - they are growing up and spreading wings so will likely never get coordinated to do it again. The girls are going to prefer to go away with boyfriends from now on.

We (My Wife and I) were meant to be on holiday next week in Scotland by train. Email this afternoon, the Sleeper from London next Tuesday is cancelled, so that has mullered the entire holiday. An evening of trying to get refunds on various rail tickets and so on.

happened to us last year......we got a refund instantly over the phone. We managed to keep our holiday intact by driving to Inverness in 3 sections, which added two days to our trip

You will have a great time in Canada. The locals are very friendly and the country/views/activities are great. I hope you are driving because if you lolly up for the train and there is a bit of bad local weather that is expensively disappointing. If you get the chance to go to Victoria on Vancouver Island you won't regret it - it was a highlight of my trip although the whale watching was chilly and distant.

Back to the title of the thread: I'm staying at home over UK summer but I've got a month in Thailand booked in December so that I fly home in time for New Year in the UK. I've also booked a discounted Eurorail ticket which I have to start before April next year - I can't see the time to do it this year but we will see. I've seen a lot of Continental Europe but I want to fill the gaps with my Eurorail ticket.

With the ending of Covid restrictions, it seems lots of folks are either going on holiday (our youngest flies to Lanzarote today) or have booked a holiday recently. So where are fishies heading to this summer and why that particular destination?

To get he ball rolling we have five days on the east Kent coast next month :

1. have travelled through the county but never stayed there
2. visit Canterbury
3. take in the coastal towns from where Turner did his fantastic paintings
4. visit Leeds castle

Say hello to Kent for me. I was a schoolboy living in first Goodnestone ( small village ) and then Sandwich.
Highly recommend also Walmer and or Deal Castles - can do the both in one day.
A bit further south of the county - Dungeness Beach, The Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and of course and Derek Jarman's Prospect cottage .

If you are into fruit - though its not the apple or pear season - The Horticultural Gardens of Brogdale.

My ( late ) father was a Probation Officer in Dover and I got to see many prison car parks in school holidays - whilst he went to see an upcoming parolee.
Then using the county issued Ford Anglia off to the beach we would go.

Ah the joys of HMP Canterbury, Cookham Wood, Maidstone, Rochester and the Isle of Sheppey cluster ( three prisons ). Enough to put any youngster off the possibility of being sent to Borstal.

Have a great time.

Say hello to Kent for me. I was a schoolboy living in first Goodnestone ( small village ) and then Sandwich.
Highly recommend also Walmer and or Deal Castles - can do the both in one day.
A bit further south of the county - Dungeness Beach, The Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and of course and Derek Jarman's Prospect cottage .

If you are into fruit - though its not the apple or pear season - The Horticultural Gardens of Brogdale.

My ( late ) father was a Probation Officer in Dover and I got to see many prison car parks in school holidays - whilst he went to see an upcoming parolee.
Then using the county issued Ford Anglia off to the beach we would go.

Ah the joys of HMP Canterbury, Cookham Wood, Maidstone, Rochester and the Isle of Sheppey cluster ( three prisons ). Enough to put any youngster off the possibility of being sent to Borstal.

Have a great time.

Thank you for the ideas of places to visit and will definitely try to avoid being detained in one of Her Majesty”s Kent institutions.

happened to us last year......we got a refund instantly over the phone. We managed to keep our holiday intact by driving to Inverness in 3 sections, which added two days to our trip

Looks like we are driving now - but the whole point of the holiday was the rail experience. Still, the cost of fuel is still less than then refund money on the Sleeper service alone - so financially we will be better off. At least we are not going further than than central Highlands - a mere 400 miles from home. With a 700+ mile range on my tank we will manage easily. Probably a 1200 mile round trip. About £225 in fuel - vs £500+ for all the train tickets.

Looks like we are driving now - but the whole point of the holiday was the rail experience. Still, the cost of fuel is still less than then refund money on the Sleeper service alone - so financially we will be better off. At least we are not going further than than central Highlands - a mere 400 miles from home. With a 700+ mile range on my tank we will manage easily. Probably a 1200 mile round trip. About £225 in fuel - vs £500+ for all the train tickets.
Similar for me a few weeks ago. Looked at sleeper rail, fully booked. Got a cheap BA flight to Aberdeen via Ms Canonman but car hire prices were a joke so I drove. Little traffic, both ways and enjoyed the scenery in the Lakes and Highlands.

Looks like we are driving now

Still, the cost of fuel is still less than then refund money on the Sleeper service alone - so financially we will be better off

shame about the sleeper. Yes the price has gone up significantly over the last few years.

yes we found driving cheaper and nicer than the sleeper (novelty factor of the sleeper wore off after 3 goes - would still like to try the new rolling stock)

our driving route last summer was

TheJourney by uh_simon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Booked another cruise, so that’s 2 sorted for next year, still deciding what to do in 2024.

Off to Germany tomorrow to see friends. Dunkerque to Dietzenbach near Frankfurt, and then up to Bad Oeynhausen to see another friend. We're all getting older, so best to do it while I can. If I could find somewhere safe to leave the car near the border, it'd be fun to do the rest on the €9 rail ticket. DFDS has asked me to input my passport details. That's the first time that's happened. Another post brexit change of regulations ?

In the summer we're hoping for a family reunion near Briançon, where we spent a year on a teacher exchange. We're going out via Dublin so that granddaughter gets to see us again before we all meet up in the alps a week or so later. Daughter, travelling out from London, has found cheap tickets on the overnight couchette service from Austerlitz to Briançon, which has inspired us for an autumn trip to Barcelona to see our son who lives there. We've not been yet, and he's been there for 3 years. :( A night in London with daughter, Eurostar to Paris, couchette to Briançon for a few days, train to Marseille for a few days and walking in the Calanques, and then train down to Barcelona.

A fly in the ointment ? Anyone know what's happening with vacination requirements for travelling ? France requires one within 9 months. That makes mine up in September, with no prospect of a booster before then.
I did the couchette to Briancon 30 years ago, it's a great train ride. Do bear in mid that the thing does the tour of the Oisans Massif (or did) before heading back north to Briancon, nd this takes a couple of hours. You can jump out before it does the tour, probably at somewhere like Bourg d'Oisans, and save a lot of time.

advertisement

Back