advertisement

We’re All Going on a Summer Holiday

They probably mined coal in Margate as it's always been the pits. Ramsgate, however, is a vast improvement for its seafront and marina. Even the town itself is a few notches up from Margate, despite the Tate and Dreamland.

absolute nonsense. Had I been writing this 20 years ago, I might be on the cusp of agreeing with you

We go to Margate 2 maybe 3 times a year. Top notch restaurants (even one with 1m*, pubs, the gallery nice hotels.....Ramsgate is only worth visiting for one pub. People we know that live in Margate are cashing in and moving to Ramsgate as homes are cheaper. Ramsgate town is slowly dying.

Broadstairs is good, but non-existent hotels, means staying in Margate is a better choice.

Ramsgate is only worth visiting for one pub. People we know that live in Margate are cashing in and moving to Ramsgate as homes are cheaper. Ramsgate town is slowly dying.

R'gate town has been dying for 30 years though Margate was already dead. ;) Haven't a clue about pubs; or hotels, really but Margate, esp. Cliftonville, was the epicentre of foreign migration until recently; maybe things have changed. Didn't know about the propery disparity, which I find odd; must ask my East Cliff Ramsgate friend, Broadstairs id a Dickensian toytown; there are only two real conurbations in Thanet.

With the ending of Covid restrictions, it seems lots of folks are either going on holiday (our youngest flies to Lanzarote today) or have booked a holiday recently. So where are fishies heading to this summer and why that particular destination?

To get he ball rolling we have five days on the east Kent coast next month :

1. have travelled through the county but never stayed there
2. visit Canterbury
3. take in the coastal towns from where Turner did his fantastic paintings
4. visit Leeds castle
Hypocrite

but massively revived now

Yes, I'm sure it must be. Haven't been back for 20 years but used to work there in the 70's and 80's

You make it sound like it is a problem for you. I assume this isn't a problem unless you are a tory brexiter.

No idea why as it never was and I my knowledge has been received wisdom for a long time. Thought the word was 'brexiteer', though not sure what that has to do with the previous situation or the relevance to my virtually non-existent politics interest.o_O

Yes, I'm sure it must be. Haven't been back for 20 years but used to work there in the 70's and 80's

:rolleyes:

sorry to say this, but that is just so PFM. Write with an authoritative force, but based on experience from 20 years ago. The 80s were close to 40 years ago!!@

I nearly asked when you were last there in my first reply, as it sounded so way out of kilter from our recent experiences in the last 4 to 5 years.

First time anywhere since 2019. Currently in Brittany in our shack until August. Then we are doing the Edinburgh fringe for a week. Finally end of August it's three days in Verona for the opera festival then on to Venice for a few days to take in the biennale.

Last edited:
We are off to Cyprus in August, we normally go on holiday for the boy's birthday. Been to this hotel twice before, very nice, especially the better breakfast you get if you book a room upgrade.
https://www.jet2holidays.com/cyprus...4eBEh6XHdA84pcxtUkE9kHap8rFPI3vRoCYEMQAvD_BwE

Last few years we normally also rent a caravan on the beach in Cornwall, but this year when we looked at booking, the price had doubled since last year, so we are doing 4 nights under canvas in North Devon, near Woolacombe beach. My wife and I used to do the same campsite a couple of times a year before the boy came along.
https://www.millpark.com/

The ropery is pretty fascinating too - a major engineering activity to keep the fleet going.

advertisement

Back