advertisement

Way to go Greta

Says who? I think you're defining sport to parallel your particular concept of what it should be

call the police!

anyhow, just do a search if you're interested. this has all been discussed at least 3 times. even the car as projectile thing has been brought up. you will also discover there is a distinction between endurance and athleticism.

I have raced a car, kart and a motor bike a little and I can assure they there is plenty of physical exertion involved.

same thing with cooking risotto for a large group of people. i didn't say anything about exertion.

btw - nothing wrong with activities. i cycle every day when it's not raining -- actually even when it is and i've misjudged the weather. golf looks like a lot of fun.

The thing with golf is that it's so middle-aged. Even now, with middle-age becoming a distant memory, I can't be doing with golf. Not that long country walks are much less of a middle-aged thing, but at least there's less kit to buy, and no course fees.

Reactions: vuk
sports:
football, basketball, handball, waterpolo

games:
baseball, tennis

activities:
knitting, gardening, cycling, car racing

It is always amusing that you so often put children’s schoolyard games such as football, netball, handball etc in the ‘sport’ category. All these are just educational methods to teach children ‘teamwork’ prior to their entering the corporate world. Outside the schoolyard football etc really is just a corporate marketing event played by multi-millionaires and run by oligarchs. It exists to sell tickets, shirts and tribalism/nationalism. Once the penny eventually drops with you what it is you really should hate it.

The only logical definition of ‘sport‘ is to take things back to the Olympian purity of running, jumping, swimming, throwing spears etc, i.e. athletics, where it really is about one person beating all the others.

I think vuk’s definition is somewhat arbitrary, and not defensible. Why is active defending a key criterion, for example, when that sounds like something that could equally apply to a game.

Primarily I’d say sport requires a degree of physical exertion requiring a certain elevated level of physical fitness. Without that, you have games and pastimes, though many of those can be elevated to sports at an elite level, of course. But darts and snooker, for example, will never be sports, despite the element of competition and undoubted skill.

same thing with cooking risotto for a large group of people. i didn't say anything about exertion.

Agreed, also mixing up a large batch of buttercream icing is a proper workout.

The OED mentioned exertion, not you.

I think vuk’s definition is somewhat arbitrary, and not defensible.

you know what, i'll gladly give up my definition if someone has the courage to admit F1 is highly problematic as a symbol if we are genuinely concerned with climate (not to mention wealth inequality and white privilege).

vuk, instead of waving your digital finger at everyone how about sharing how oyu have
Good point, but this is a minnow in the vast ocean of commercial flying. Putting aside passenger flights, think of the vast air freight business. I'm constantly amazed at the stuff I find in the local supermarket, which was probably air-freighted here. Is this really necessary?

I think all the moving about hits the planet harder than all the IC engines. Mother Nature though is on the back foot - even the smallest changes will help. I enjoy F1 and have attended a number of races but I can't help think it's all a bit self-indulgent in 2020.

Intensive farming and the global food-supply chains have a lot to answer for.

Intensive farming and the global food-supply chains have a lot to answer for.

As mentioned upthread meat farming is by far the most environmentally destructive behaviour of humans at present. Vuk always evades that one. Want to go green? Start by going vegetarian/vegan.

As mentioned upthread meat farming is by far the most environmentally destructive behaviour of humans at present. Vuk always evades that one. Want to go green? Start by going vegetarian/vegan.

i don't evade it at all.

i am glad to have massive pro-environment taxation that makes a steak cost $500 or whatever you like. i am all in.

we should also get rid of formula 1 and stop what a friend described as "a continual and perverse celebration of fossil fuel burning machines". just like we are trying not to celebrate colonialists and slave-traders.

we should also get rid of formula 1 and stop what a friend described as "a continual and perverse celebration of fossil fuel burning machines". just like we are trying not to celebrate colonialists and slave-traders.

FWIW I don’t think it will be long until F1 moves to electric power. Formula E is on the way up. I think you are wrong to focus on it above other motor sports, it is arguably the greenest and has generated many genuinely energy-saving innovations that are now in modern motor vehicles. The American motor sports such as Nascar, monster trucks etc etc are infinitely worse and bring nothing of value to the table that I can see. That is just huge polluting engines and smashing stuff up.

Your favoured corporate/oligarch ball games are far from green too as they are funded by junk food, single-season clothing etc etc. All landfill at the end of the day. Maybe ban all sport? I’d happily go along with that as the only thing that interests me about F1 (science, technology etc) will no doubt continue to be developed, albeit maybe more slowly in a less competitive environment. I think we can both agree that corporate ball games develop nothing of value at all!

PS There is a huge class bias in putting a $500 tax on a steak as it means only your millionaire ball game players, oligarchs, corporate high-fliers etc will be able to afford it. It would become yet another thing of status for the super-rich. Far better to ban outright, or better again just change the culture.

Your favoured corporate/oligarch ball games are far from green too as they are funded by junk food, single-season clothing etc etc.

i actually rarely watch any corporate sports (mostly because of advertizing, money and the bad cultural aspects of it -- NFL football is the worst in that regard), so would be totally OK with getting rid of it. i stay on top of what's going on generally out of very old habits and just regular "guy" curiosity.

i do like tournament football a lot (euro, world cup), but it usually ends up being pretty boring.

olympic hockey and basketball can be good too, not to mention march madness, which sadly turned out to be covid-19 this year.

If ever I'm asked 'What's the blokiest thing you've ever done, Joe?' my answer would be 'watching a Euro football match on the big screen in a pub in That London, in paint-spattered clothes, drinking beer and eating fish and chips'. Greece were playing (and went on to win), and there was plenty of noise and camaraderie. The next day I went back to being a non-bloke, sipping fine wine and reading Montaigne.

advertisement

Back