advertisement

Way to go Greta

that’s the one. May be more obscure than I thought. One of my earliest I got into, so I know it verbatim.
p
I do know it, however vaguely. Some sketches appeal to different people, for me it was good but not brilliant. I preferred the less completely unhinged stuff like Hells Grannies, which is more observation developed with a twist than the completely unhinged, free running stuff.

UK's net zero pledge: what has been achieved one year on?
The urgency of the climate emergency has grown but there has been little progress so far

Last summer, Theresa May signed into law the UK’s ground-breaking target of hitting net zero carbon emissions by 2050 against a backdrop of increasingly vocal Extinction Rebellion protests, school climate strikes and Brexit-related political turmoil within the Conservative party.

It was one of the last acts of a beleaguered prime minister, under fire after a series of missteps and haemorrhaging support in party and country. Protesters lined the streets, businesses despaired at the lack of leadership and the government seemed to have little strategy for extricating the country from its immediate travails, let alone a viable long-term vision.

Since then, Britain has been transformed by the coronavirus crisis, with the economy mired in the deepest recession for centuries and braced for a possible second wave of infections. But while the skies have cleared and carbon emissions plunged during the lockdown, the urgency of the climate emergency has only grown.

As the first anniversary looms this Saturday of the signing of the net zero pledge into law, there has been little concrete action, and no clear roadmap on how to meet the goal.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ero-pledge-what-has-been-achieved-one-year-on

I watched an interview with her last week from her home. I hadn’t realised she was on the autistic spectrum. She was very impressive.

If it weren't for the economic impact on public as well as private finances and jobs, and the profusion of populist rulers, this Covid outbreak could have triggered the a much needed change in paradigm that could lead to a greener, healthier, more sustainable future. An opportunity lost.

amazing young lady :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53477604

Greta Thunberg, the Swedish environment campaigner, has been awarded a new humanitarian prize worth one million euros.

The 17-year-old founder of School Strike for Climate, won the inaugural Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity.

Judges described her as "one of the most remarkable figures of our days".

Ms Thunberg said she will be donating the prize money to charitable projects that are combating "the climate and ecological crisis".

As well as being awarded Time Magazine's Person of the Year in 2019, Ms Thunberg has been nominated twice for the Nobel Peace Prize.

are you guys going to give up using cars and pressure you friends and neighbours to do the same?

we know very well now that life can go on pretty well without them.

is formula 1 not way worse than racist statues, given that actors contributing to a sport (not really a sport) celebrating the extinction of all races are alive and can be stopped, (rather than cheered on)?

why is formula 1 one still celebrated on pfm? why is it OK to cheer on something so symbolic of the destruction of the ecosystem? do symbols suddenly not matter in this particular instance? it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
are you guys going to give up using cars and pressure you friends and neighbours to do the same?

we know very well now that life can go on pretty well without them.

is formula 1 not way worse than racist statues, given that actors contributing to a sport (not really a sport) celebrating the extinction of all races are alive and can be stopped, (rather than cheered on)?

why is formula 1 one still celebrated on pfm? why is it OK to cheer on something so symbolic of the destruction of the ecosystem? do symbols suddenly not matter in this particular instance? it doesn't make sense.

You could very easily make an argument that a heck of lot of mainstream energy-saving technology has been developed directly from F1. It is a far more subtle sport than say drag racing, it is all about getting the absolute maximum out of a defined set of parameters and has brought things like KERS into the mainstream. I do not drive, but I still find technology very interesting. My main complaint with F1 is the rules are too limiting, I’d love to see more room for radical thinking as again that could have a huge benefit to consumer transport.

PS Have you fully given up eating meat yet? No one who is not vegetarian or vegan gets to lecture anyone else on the environment! That is far worse than driving.

advertisement

Back